7mm STW Reloading Thread

thank you. do you seat to reload data col? if not what procedure did you use to get your col? thanks again
Pistol, I most always get all I can in a bolt gun and still feed from the magazine 3.621 for the Winchester Custom Sharp Shooter that my Partner in Crime 7stw hooked me up with and it shoots the 145 Barnes TSX,s like a House a Fire .......With the No1 you can get a bunch more Im sure, but like I said the STW's seem to like a good bit of jump ....... If it were me I would load some at 3.60 and see how they shoot and work from there H-1000 is one of my favorite powders for this round and bullet combo but RL 25 seems to give as good of groups with a little more fps and the STW really seems to like it with the Barnes Bullets.......Let me know what happens

thanks. i have a number of rounds set from 3.560 to 3.800 with 84 grns and about the same set at 84.5. will seee what happens. thanks again.

Ditto what my good buddy Lee said.

Yup, what my brother Earl said, and my other brother Earl said too! :D
I agree, these bullets don't need to be, or better put, shouldn't be jammed into the leade. They do just fine with a little jump, and most especially if you are using monolithic bullets, such as Barnes TSX, TTSX, LRX, or the all copper bullets from Hornady, or nosler. For the most part, box length, or SAAMI specs work just fine. Do the ladder test, and you will find your node! :)

almost a 1/4 inch jump seems like alot however, i'm new to the stw round and will follow your advice. thanks again.

I found a used Sendero in March. I finally got to the range today to shoot some handloads.It took awhile to find components.Thanks to some good people in the Hood,I have some Rem brass.I found some RL25 to work with and used 140 BT's with Fed 215M primers.I loaded 3 shot for groups at 3.600 and 10 thou off to see the differance.Like some have just posted,that big jump is not a problem.All powder weights shot better at 3.600.I had groups at 79.5 do .955,80.0 do .412,80.5 do .455 & 81.0 do .755.Now I can fine tune what works best in that range and do some cronographing.

thanks butter bean i will. i have loaded rounds @ 3.600, 3.700, 3.750 and 3.800 all at 84 grns. i see the loads on this thread for a bolt gun, will the ruger #1 act the same as a bolt gun as far as the jump is concerned? i know the #1 has some accuracy issues as to forend pressure.
i would like to work up to 3200 fps w/ 140 ttsx and then work the guns accuracy to the load (hicks accurizer) if needed, or am i going about this bass ackwards? also any ideas to the pressure in relation to the different col's. thanks guys.

almost a 1/4 inch jump seems like alot however, i'm new to the stw round and will follow your advice. thanks again.

I have heard of RUM's having as much as .3 free bore. In a cartridge with THIS much powder capacity, the free bore is almost a MUST. Otherwise, you would have to reduce the charge, because of pressure spikes. Don't worry, someone smarter then us figured it out, and their theory is working just fine. None of my STW's mind the jump, even a little bit, and the deer don't care one way or another.:D Enjoy the ride, send um' down range, and you'll be a believer!:)

thanks. anyone here have a stout load for the #1 using h1000 and 140ttsx. 3200 fps would be nice but.....3400 or more? i like hot rods, speed kills.

Every gun is different even 2 identical guns made back-to-back, so one load for one #1, might be totally different than another.

Nothing off the top of my head, but There are alot of guys on here shooting 140's. i prefer the 160+ weight bullets. I'd rather hit 'em with a brick wall, than miss fast. :D

It's a joke, nobody get ****y....Everyone has their prefernces, that's why there's so many different weights and types out there.

just back from the range. the 3.700 col w/ 84.5 grns h1000 140 ttsx shot the best, tight 3 shot clover leaf, all holes touching, 2 inches right of center, 50 yrds. this load shot 3500 fps in my #1. The 3.750 and 3.800 col's shot closer to center but not as tight as group. plan is to load 5 rounds @ 3.700 and see if i can get them to center. thanks for the help.

just back from the range. the 3.700 col w/ 84.5 grns h1000 140 ttsx shot the best, tight 3 shot clover leaf, all holes touching, 2 inches right of center, 50 yrds. this load shot 3500 fps in my #1. The 3.750 and 3.800 col's shot closer to center but not as tight as group. plan is to load 5 rounds @ 3.700 and see if i can get them to center. thanks for the help.
Pistol,Glad it all worked out for ya,Those are some great numbers ......Survey Says..........I like it

I am looking for loads for the 168 grain berger vld. I have tried quite a few, so far the only load I have been able to get a decent group with is 79 grains of H-1000 at about 2975 FPS. The gorup is about .625inch center to center. Don't get me wrong the group is great and it is probably the load I will use but I wanted to get some other feedback from people shooting this bullet.
My plan is to set this rifle up to shoot out to 1000 yards.