7mm STW Reloading Thread

I see all of you using 80+ grains of powder to get 3300fps out of your big boomers, I get 3300fps with a 140gr out of my 7mm gibbs with only 63grs RL19, but I also have a 30" tube. But anyway I have not talked on this site before, so thought I would get in here and see what was going on, I live in NW mt. and been playing with reloading for about 60yrs. and I am building a 6.5 STW with a 30" Lilja tube on a weatherby mk V action, can't wait to get it together, won't get bbl for another month. anyway just thought I would tell someone. Thanks for letting me in, wop :)

I see all of you using 80+ grains of powder to get 3300fps out of your big boomers, I get 3300fps with a 140gr out of my 7mm gibbs with only 63grs RL19, but I also have a 30" tube. But anyway I have not talked on this site before, so thought I would get in here and see what was going on, I live in NW mt. and been playing with reloading for about 60yrs. and I am building a 6.5 STW with a 30" Lilja tube on a weatherby mk V action, can't wait to get it together, won't get bbl for another month. anyway just thought I would tell someone. Thanks for letting me in, wop :)

I have been eye balling that 6.5 STW, kind of have the bug to start a new love affair. I would be interested to see what your thoughts are after wearing it for a while.

As for the 80+ grains, its a small price to pay to watch the magic show.:D

I have been eye balling that 6.5 STW, kind of have the bug to start a new love affair. I would be interested to see what your thoughts are after wearing it for a while.

As for the 80+ grains, its a small price to pay to watch the magic show.:D

I'll second the " magic show"! Bad to the Bone!

My rifle started life as a Mdl 70 Black Shadow from Walmart chambered in 7 Rem Mag. My smith already had a reamer (from his own build) and charged me $50.00 to pull the barrel and rechamber it.
It does have a 26 inch barrel.
My load is:

Nosler Brass
Fed 215
88 grs WC872
160 Partition
OAL of 3.590. Severely limited on oal due to magazine.
Clocks 3320 FPS w an ES of 15 for 5 rounds

With a 162 Hornady the same load clocked 3400.

I've got a full can of RL25 but have seen no reason to try it.

I played with wc872 in my 7stw with the 171 barnes but it shot like a shotgun. My rifle won't shoot ball powder worth a hoot from what I've seen. That's o.k. though, as my 270 win and 300 rum like wc872 just fine.

I played with wc872 in my 7stw with the 171 barnes but it shot like a shotgun. My rifle won't shoot ball powder worth a hoot from what I've seen. That's o.k. though, as my 270 win and 300 rum like wc872 just fine.

I actually bought the stuff to load in my 264 Win Mag and just hapened to try it in my STW too.
Sure makes life simpler having one powder for two cartridges.

My only complaint with the stuff, it burns pretty dirty. But when you can buy 8lbs of powder for $39.00 what do you have to complain about????:D

Great.......I was gonna order some 25 and an 8lb'er of H1000 tomorrow when I get my paycheck. Guess not now.

Damnit...

i shoot 160 gr. speer w/78g 7828 215m -- shoots as good as you can hold it.. just got through building me a new stw-- going to try to shoot the 168 berger vld with same load if the pressure dont get me. jpgun)

i shoot 160 gr. speer w/78g 7828 215m -- shoots as good as you can hold it.. just got through building me a new stw-- going to try to shoot the 168 berger vld with same load if the pressure dont get me. jpgun)
You must have a long throated rifle; my sendero was hitting 63- 66 kpsi with a 140 sierra and 78 gr I 7828. The pressure graphs are in the main brotherhood thread. I went to rl25 with my rifle because it went just as fast with a bunch less pressure.... 58 kpsi with the 140 sierra.

Yep, we got primers out the wahoo here, now....But these days bullets and powder has become the latest pain in the *** to find, for the last month or 2...

This mad-man sheeple hoarding has got to stop.

Yep, we got primers out the wahoo here, now....But these days bullets and powder has become the latest pain in the *** to find, for the last month or 2...

This mad-man sheeple hoarding has got to stop.
I called one shop here in town. He did not have any and was not going to order them as he was closing shop and moving to Texas.
He also said a wasn't likely to find them in this area.

That sucks....If you're willing to pay Haz-Mat shipping, my local place might be able to hook you up with a brick (1000) of Federals.

Next paycheck I'm going to go pickup a brick of Fed 215 GMM's, if they have them in stock.

I'm a little gun-shy about helping someone else on the internet with my little source for stuff, b/c the last time the guy said he would leave me a box of bullets, and order all but 1 (b/c I was going to pick up that 1 box that afternoon after work), and the bastard bought every **** box they had. My buddy who works there said the dude asked him how many they had, he told him 4, the asshat said, "I'll take all of them..." What a douche...

That's pretty messed up, especially since I was being nice and helping HIM out... Makes you wonder if there really is any good folks still left out there that don't lie to your face, just to get what they want.