7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Hi all. I tried posting in the reloading section but didn't get anything back, so I thought I'd try here...

Howdy all! New to the STW. Wanted the old 8mm mag as a kid, but when Layne came out w/the STW, everything changed. Just bought a Ruger No. 1 that was rebarreled with a 26" Douglas stainless job. Only has a couple hundred through it. It seems to be a pretty fast (3500 w/Trophy Grade 140gr Partition factory stuff) barrel and is MOA for 3 rounds. My question is, any suggestions for 160gr Accubonds or 168gr Berger Classics with Ramshot Magnum? Also, how far off the lands is a good starting point. My max with the A-Bombs is 3.815. I've read that the STW likes a bit of jump...

http://www.ramshot.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/WP_LoadSpec_7-2-13.pdf

They only show to 160 gr data but a 5% drop and careful work up will get you there pretty well with the 168.

Play with seating depth but let her jump a bit to start with. You may find it wants .150" jump; you may find it likes .010"... It depends on the rifle and you have a #1 so anything flies here as long as the case holds the bullet and the load is safe.

I've got some Nosler TG 140 gr. Partitions on the way from Midway. The first thing I'm going to do is pull one apart and check the load. If the powder is identifiable, I'll let you know.

Looking forward to it. Called Nosler, but no luck. Great guys though. I'm guessing it's maybe 4350, but I haven't pulled one. They're using different powder for the 140gr Accubond though. Higher load density by the official shake the cartridge test:D

BROS,

I have not forgotten about yall..... I nailed a 333 2/8 bull in New Mexico at the Valle Calderas.... Pics to come soon... along with the story...
I got home and got slammed at work with dead lines so no time to upload pics and type the pic... And, I must apologize ahead of time, it was killed with the 338 Lapua... but she was first and never was able to eat so I had to feed her... My 2 STWs are coming with me to MT on Nov 15th for deer and elk combo tag near LIMA mt...

Until the story,

Mario

BROS,

I have not forgotten about yall..... I nailed a 333 2/8 bull in New Mexico at the Valle Calderas.... Pics to come soon... along with the story...
I got home and got slammed at work with dead lines so no time to upload pics and type the pic... And, I must apologize ahead of time, it was killed with the 338 Lapua... but she was first and never was able to eat so I had to feed her... My 2 STWs are coming with me to MT on Nov 15th for deer and elk combo tag near LIMA mt...

Until the story,

Mario
Congrats Bro ....You Da Man

BROS,

Until the story,

Mario
You done real well there Grasshopper!

got a primer ? do any of you use cci large rifle br primers with H1000 . I having problems getting extreme spread down in single didgets or in teens consent . I tried all the mag primers except for wolf primers . I mainly use fed 215m in this on I weights sort brass . it is neck turn brass . nosler brass and some win brass . I don't see any differents between brass in fps any opions would be nice thanks

got a primer ? do any of you use cci large rifle br primers with H1000 . I having problems getting extreme spread down in single didgets or in teens consent . I tried all the mag primers except for wolf primers . I mainly use fed 215m in this on I weights sort brass . it is neck turn brass . nosler brass and some win brass . I don't see any differents between brass in fps any opions would be nice thanks
The 215 is pretty much the go to primer for most of us.

Separate your brass by brand. Believe it or not even slight differences in wall and neck thickness can make a significant difference in ES.

If you can get your ES down under 50fps consistently till you get past 1000yds the difference in POI is going to be negligible. It is nice to have it well under that down in single digits but it is rare to get a big magnum that consistent.

How are you measuring your powder? Are you weighing each load or using an auto charger like the RCBS powder measure? If you are weighing each load, what method/brand of scale are you using?

I use an RCBS Chargemaster 1500, but I still weigh each load down to exacting tolerances. I don't even let it vary by +/- 0.1 gr...It has to be zero'd out, or else it get's adjusted one way or the other.

I weight them with charge master every one . and I don't mix brand of brass . all brass is turned to .012 . mabe I need a better scale . I don't have any loads over 50 fps but having hard time getting out of 20fps to 36 fps .

Recent Posts