7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

I'll pm you a bunch of load data I won't publish online also... But I'm not afraid to work a rifle like a wildcat if I can't find data. If you haven't got the skills to work up your own data then you've got to ask those that do. It's not the coolest though if they start the please don't tell anyone thing though.
I'm not sure I'd drive a berger anyway, as my hornady and sierra mix with a hint of nosler has worked well for well over a decade for me. If it 'aint broke.......

I'll pm you a bunch of load data I won't publish online also... But I'm not afraid to work a rifle like a wildcat if I can't find data. If you haven't got the skills to work up your own data then you've got to ask those that do. It's not the coolest though if they start the please don't tell anyone thing though.
I'm not sure I'd drive a berger anyway, as my hornady and sierra mix with a hint of nosler has worked well for well over a decade for me. If it 'aint broke.......
It's not like I wanted to. I plan on devulging my load data once I get it figured out for my rifle. It's not like it was my idea to keep quiet... That's the part that made me mad. I was just doing what I was asked.

However, back to the STW saga....

I do love Noslers, and have been shooting the 160gr Accubonds for a number of years now with great results. I also have been shooting these Nosler 168gr Custom Comps for about 6 months with equally good results.

I just figured I'd give the Bergers a try just to mix it up a little to see if my gun prefers them over the Noslers for some reason.

Hornady has always made great bullets. For some reason, since discovering the Accubonds and how well they work in all my rifles, I've just never looked back.

I find bergers info is on the light side. I bought their manual and on the guns I have their loads seem way under what I shoot.nthe 300 win mag was closest but still over the max pretty good.

Gerry, I just bought a new Hornady manual, and I find that to be true with their manual as well. I feel that they HAVE to run on the conservative side, du to the incredible amount of variables out here. ( lawyer proof). The Sierra manual seems to be a little more close to reality, but I bought the new Hornady manual for the newer powder listings. Also, I found the preface to be very good in this manual. Articles on accuracy tips, etc. The Hornady bullet line has came a long way over the years.
There was a time, that I couldn't get any of their bullets to shoot, now, it seems like most ANY of them will shoot well without TOO much fuss. Take care.
Bob

A lot of ways to play the game with stw's... I was at my LGS yesterday evening looking at the christiansen arms booklet and asked about hanging a carbon wrapped pipe on my lh action; they said 8 bills. Now remember Rem DID put out some carbon wrapped sendero's in 7stw, but only in rh like all the other senderos. I think I'm gonna spend some $$$ this year on the stw guys building a carbon wrapped lh sendero.
I've always thought there was to much barrel weight on a sendero for a carry gun, and they swing slow on running game to boot. If can get the barrel stiffness to calm this caliber down without the weight, I'm going to have to jump in feet first.
That's certainly one way to gogun)

Personally I'm not sold on the carbon fiber wrapped barrels myself but I can understand the appeal. I have seen a lot of them come up for sale used as well and they sell at a tiny fraction of their new price which makes me even less inclined to give one a try.

You can shave enough weight off of a Sendero type rifle just by going to a finished diameter of .750 and still get good rigidity. That's they direction I'm going with a couple of rifles this year if the finances all work out right.

Great thread....first post on this forum. I recently went in to a pawn shop near my work and ended up buying a pistol, and a Remington 7mm STW as well. Learning more about this rifle as I go, but seems this one has had a bit of triggerwork, probably sporterized, and a bi-pod mount added to the front. It also has a pretty exotic looking stock on it which looks really nice.

looking forward to getting out and putting a few rounds through it.
Be warned they are addicting... .gun)

Gerry, I just bought a new Hornady manual, and I find that to be true with their manual as well. I feel that they HAVE to run on the conservative side, du to the incredible amount of variables out here. ( lawyer proof). The Sierra manual seems to be a little more close to reality, but I bought the new Hornady manual for the newer powder listings. Also, I found the preface to be very good in this manual. Articles on accuracy tips, etc. The Hornady bullet line has came a long way over the years.
There was a time, that I couldn't get any of their bullets to shoot, now, it seems like most ANY of them will shoot well without TOO much fuss. Take care.
Bob
I used to talk regularly with the Hornady guys. One thing they told me is that their published loads are reduced by 5-10% just to keep lawyers happy.

I haven't spoken with them though since the 4th edition load manual came out though so I can't and won't necessarily tell anyone that is still true today.

I too though found that often my best accuracy/velocity loads (best combo of each) were usually in excess of their published max's.

I've also had the same luck as you with their bullets only better. They've shot well enough for me since the early nineties that probably 95% of the bullets I've used over that time frame (all calibers) were Hornady's, particularly the interbond and interlocks.

I've also had great luck with the Accubond's and Sirocco's as well.

I used to talk regularly with the Hornady guys. One thing they told me is that their published loads are reduced by 5-10% just to keep lawyers happy.

I haven't spoken with them though since the 4th edition load manual came out though so I can't and won't necessarily tell anyone that is still true today.

I too though found that often my best accuracy/velocity loads (best combo of each) were usually in excess of their published max's.

I've also had the same luck as you with their bullets only better. They've shot well enough for me since the early nineties that probably 95% of the bullets I've used over that time frame (all calibers) were Hornady's, particularly the interbond and interlocks.

I've also had great luck with the Accubond's and Sirocco's as well.

WildRose, their customer service is very good too ! I had a problem with one of their dies a while back, they fixed it, and sent me TWO boxes of bullets of MY choice. Like I said before, I think they have came a long way.
My kids 7 mag LOVES the 162 A Max. That is all he wants to shoot in it!

I've heard lots of good things a out the 162 A-Max, but have yet to try them for myself. I've gotten very good results from the 160 Accubonds in my A-Bolt 7 Mag with the BOSS tuned to 5.0. Load them up with 60.0gr of Reloder 19, and run them out till they barely clear in the magazine. That's how I load mine, and they'll drive nails.

So, for the STW with the 180gr VLD's I went by Bergers recommendations as just a guideline, but changed up some stuff, so I'm not using their published data.

I loaded up 6 of them (2 3-shot groups) with 70.0gr of Reloder 22, and 6 with 75.5gr of H1000. And all 6 at 3.858" COL. So, we'll see how they shoot this weekend.

Hey Guys,

I have been reloading this past year with 140 gr. AB with 85.5 gr. H1000 and had really good results with low ES/ED, nice velocity (3,450 fps) and tight groupings (less than 1/2 MOA) for my two Remington 700 Sendero SF 7mm STWs.

I am excited about the new Long Range Accubonds and I plan on buying the 168/175 gr. for my 7mm STWs.

Though I've had good results with H1000 for the 140 gr. Accubonds I've heard that Retumbo is better for heavier bullets, i.e., above 160 gr.

"MudRunner2005" and my buddy "7stw" like the RL powders but I'm leaning towards the Hodgdon extreme powders so what's the best powder out of these two (H1000 or Retumbo) in these bullet weights (168/175 gr.)?

I also posted this in the reloading section.

TIA

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

If you are going all the way to 175's I'd find some I 5010 or 50 bmg and toss about an 86 grain charge in and cap it with a pill. I'm using rl25 at present with my 171's, but I'm thinking of switching either to 140's again or rl50/ h50bmg with the 171's.

Shot two boxes through the lh 7 stw today; she started at 2 moa and progressively dropped to 1 moa for a 6 shot 100 yard group. I'm wondering if I have a dirty shooter that won't shoot as well clean. Either that or the fool behind the trigger was pretty rusty; I know the sand bags were trouble at first.

Recent Posts