7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

I have some H1000 handy, and tons of RL19 & RL22 on-hand...

I have sent Berger an email asking if the Alliant powders will work, and if so, what their recommendation is for a starting load.

So would you recommend starting @ 76.0 of H1000 or start lower?

I have been told you are the Isaac Newton of the heavy STW's, and that you have it down to a science. So, any help will be appreciated.

Rl-19 is definately too fast for this Bullet cartridge combo.

You can use RL-22. Your max load is 70.3g will a 89.7% Case fill ratio. So drop about 5% and then work up in your rifle.

With H1000 76g is the Max indicated by Quickload with a fill ratio of 96.7% so drop about 5% and work up.

RL-25, Ramshot Magnum, And Retumbo have higher case fill ratios and seem to be better choices over all for this combo. But seeing as you have RL-22 and H1000, I'd try the H1000 First and Then RL-22 as a scond choice.

I tried H1000 in my rifle and it shot ok, but Retumbo was much better. I could only get 1" groups with it. Not bad, but My expectations were much higher than 1" at 100yds.

Again seating depth may prove to be a critical thing for your rifle. This is why I just buy a full box and plan on burning alot of powder to mess with all the possiblilities. When working up loads for Berger VLDs I first will make up test loads in .5g increments working backwards from the max, usually 5 rounds of each powder charge. I will Seat the bullets into the lands (using a dummy round) and then adjust my seating die to that length and then seat them deaper one more turn deaper on the seating stem. This will get them about .010-.015 off the lands. Then I shoot for accuracy. Pick the best shooter and then play with the seating septh abit more to see if I can tighten up the group.

PM me you E-mail and I will forward an e-mail that Walt Berger sent me some time back listing data for the 180g Berger VLD.

Hope this helps,

Dan

I have some H1000 handy, and tons of RL19 & RL22 on-hand...

I have sent Berger an email asking if the Alliant powders will work, and if so, what their recommendation is for a starting load.

So would you recommend starting @ 76.0 of H1000 or start lower?

I have been told you are the Isaac Newton of the heavy STW's, and that you have it down to a science. So, any help will be appreciated.
Thats a fact ....Dano is the man on the heavies....

Good stuff Dano, I'm gonna look for that little pack you talked about. It's all one bullet series right? The other way is to buy 100, weight sort, choose the closest and tr 20-25. At that point you'll know, put the rest up for sale here and go on. Or just hold on and use for trigger time if you run out. It's always possible that as the barrel changes through it's life they may work down the road or can be used for easier shots under 300.

It's a shame I can't find any 25 around here since the great weapons scare of 2013 has happened.....

Can't find hardly any powder other than 17 & 19, can't even find any Varget hardly. Glad I got a few lbs of that stocked up. Wish all this scare BS would be over so I can go back to reloading like normal.

Good stuff Dano, I'm gonna look for that little pack you talked about. It's all one bullet series right? The other way is to buy 100, weight sort, choose the closest and tr 20-25. At that point you'll know, put the rest up for sale here and go on. Or just hold on and use for trigger time if you run out. It's always possible that as the barrel changes through it's life they may work down the road or can be used for easier shots under 300.
If I can't get these 12 shooting good, I'm gonna buy another 12 to try again. Then once I get those down, I'm gonna pick up a whole box of them (100) and have some fun.

I got my email response from Berger on what their recommended loads are for the STW with the 180's, but unfortunately they asked me not to pass out the info. So, I will be trying their reccomendations and reporting back with my findings once I do some load progression. :)

I got my email response from Berger on what their recommended loads are for the STW with the 180's, but unfortunately they asked me not to pass out the info. So, I will be trying their reccomendations and reporting back with my findings once I do some load progression. :)
Well dont pass it out ....... lock it up dont let anybody see it .......Load info from Berger oooooh ahhhhhhh im impressed Berger has nothing on Dano Or 7STW or any of my other Brothers here for that matter So good luck with you loads from Berger

Well dont pass it out ....... lock it up dont let anybody see it .......Load info from Berger oooooh ahhhhhhh im impressed Berger has nothing on Dano Or 7STW or any of my other Brothers here for that matter So good luck with you loads from Berger
Be a dick about it all you want, I was just being courteous to the company since they asked me not to pass it out.

And yes, I know Dano and 7STW know WAY more about it than most, so I am definitely not knocking them. I trust them and their load data. I would never even question it, if one of them handed me a loaded round (which is quite rare, b/c I am not a trusting person). So, you can twist it however you want to, to make me sound like a *****, but I was just doing what the company asked of me.

I will give out data once I figure out what my rifle likes. Is that ok with you? :rolleyes:

Be a dick about it all you want, I was just being courteous to the company since they asked me not to pass it out.

And yes, I know Dano and 7STW know WAY more about it than most, so I am definitely not knocking them. I trust them and their load data. I would never even question it, if one of them handed me a loaded round (which is quite rare, b/c I am not a trusting person). So, you can twist it however you want to, to make me sound like a *****, but I was just doing what the company asked of me.

I will give out data once I figure out what my rifle likes. Is that ok with you? :rolleyes:
I Dont need your Data Nor does anyone here ....Your the one asking the questions which were answered with accurate load info that has already been proven on paper and in the field by My Brothers who live for this round as do I, They have already given you what you need to know....... so use your top secrect loads from Berger,Hope they work out for ya.......That will be my last word on the subject

The problem was that there is a powder shortage around me, so I couldn't find any load data for the powders I currently have. I can't find RL-25, or Retumbo, and Vit is $45.00 a lb. here, so it's not some big secret, just doing what they asked me to.

I find bergers info is on the light side. I bought their manual and on the guns I have their loads seem way under what I shoot.nthe 300 win mag was closest but still over the max pretty good.