7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Hey Guys,
I'm currently building my first 7mm STW off my Winchester Mod 70 push feed action.
Winchester Mod 70 Action (Originally a ranger model in 270 WIN)
PTG One Piece Bottom Metal
Wyatts Magazine and Follower
Timney Trigger
Precision Armament Bolt knob
PTG Action bolts
HS Precision Stock
EGW 0 MOA rail
PTG Reamer built to my specs
Still debating on the barrel, it's going to be a finish length of 28", looking a krieger 1:9 standard palma however I have some questions for those of you who already shoot the STW. I was planning on shooting mainly the 139 gr AMAX and some 140's so I was planning on a 1:10 to maintain the high velocities the STW can deliver (3550ish fps) however I've come across some krieger's 1:9 5r, I know this will be good for 168's and even the 180's, however will it over stabilize a 140?
And before it's asked (first thing people ask me when I tell them about my build), I've already opened the bolt face up to a magnum and machined the receiver for the longer magazine. I have 3.825" worth of COL in the magazine so I can use the heavies if I want to.
Thanks again guys. I'm also building 4 other 7mm STW's at the shop right now for other customers as well.
Wow, you have really done your home work, and your equipment list is impressive. Gotta love those Winchester actions too. I have personally fell in love Winchester actions myself. I still love Remington actions as well.
As far as your over stabilization question, I would not worry about that so much. Som makers actually are running a 1-9 twist with no problems. If you go with the 1-10 twist, you may be able to shoot bullets up to the low 160 class anyway. But for what you a are wanting to do, either twist mentioned will do fine. 3550 is really pushing the envelope for a bullet to be able to function, at the terminal end though. And then, there is the barrel life issue of course. So, all else being equal, bullet selection will definitely be a factor.
One last thing to think about is the 3.825 OAL. Given that this cartridge is a free bored chambering, you will now be closer to the throat, which means your pressures will occur slightly quicker then most that are at the usual 3.630 to 3.670 ish OAL. Nothing of a show stopper as long as you build up cautiously to your rifles max, or sweet spot.
That is going to be quite a rifle, and you should have many years of enjoyment from it. Take care of it, and it will not let you down.

I got my first 7mm STW the other day, it was built by McWhorter and has a Borden action, Hart barrel, and McMillan A3 hunter stock on it. Plus I'm loving the nightforce!

0EA19CBD-85A3-4906-AD4B-C12F885E4391-32510-000021319B9423C2.jpg

27C1E9FF-AE81-4EA9-B49A-7B3DF747B40F-32510-000021318B126BCE.jpg

I can't wait to put it through its paces!

Mac

Dude, that thing rocks......... Welcome to the " Brotherhood" !

They shot it and broke it in for me and sent along the final target:
7AC79E8C-FEB5-4B09-AF52-DE5A3FBC32CC-32542-00002136D5F2E35A.jpg

.266" at 100 yds minus the flyer shooting the 180 grain Berger Hunting VLD.

Mac

Hey guys. I just got all my reloading stuff set up that I received from Santa so I hope you all are ready for all the questions I have. First pill I will be trying is the 145 LRX. Yes this is for my 7mm STW. Here is my first question. Can anyone direct me to a good video showing the proper way to set up my Redding deluxe dies and do I need to full length resize or just neck resize? I have the set with all 3 dies FL , neck, and bullet seat die. I set up the FL resize die but something just don't feel right. Help me please I'm ready to get started

Ogle buck, congrats on the stocking stutters and reloading goodies thatSanta brought you. And it sounds like he brought you the " good stuff " too! I can personally vouch for the 145 LRX myself. Love that bullet. I recently bought a box of the 168's as well! Man are they long. Anyway, take SFR292's advice. Full length resize, and maybe alternate every other time with neck sizing, and take note of any POI changes if any. This should extend your case life too. Take care and don't be afraid to ask a question or two......! Lots of knowledgeable folks here! Have fun and be SAFE.

I got my first 7mm STW the other day, it was built by McWhorter and has a Borden action, Hart barrel, and McMillan A3 hunter stock on it. Plus I'm loving the nightforce!

I can't wait to put it through its paces!

Mac

Saw that rig, or an identical one on Gunbroker; I was very tempted. It is truly awesome and your nightforce makes it perfect. Enjoy!

Bill

Hey guys. I just got all my reloading stuff set up that I received from Santa so I hope you all are ready for all the questions I have. First pill I will be trying is the 145 LRX. Yes this is for my 7mm STW. Here is my first question. Can anyone direct me to a good video showing the proper way to set up my Redding deluxe dies and do I need to full length resize or just neck resize? I have the set with all 3 dies FL , neck, and bullet seat die. I set up the FL resize die but something just don't feel right. Help me please I'm ready to get started
oglebuck, Put your die in the presstouching the shell holder.Now back it off 1/4 turn.Run a case in then try it in your gun with the fireing pin removed. Keep turning the die down invery small incriments and trying it in the gun each time. You want it so the bolt drops about 3/4 of the way down then you feel a little resistance to close it the rest of the way. When you get this feel lock the die ring and you now have a case sized to minimum headspace. Brass life should be long.
Brush

OK- I admit I havent read all 356 pages of this forum, I have read 265 of them though, and I have an idea I havent seen yet.

With the crush on reloading parts orders and everyone everywhere being backordered, I think the manufacturers will focus on cranking out 223, 308, 30-06, 45,38 ect.ect.

7mm STW is only made by a few manufacturers currently so resources may switch to more lucrative production, leaving us in the proverbial lurch. So, can a 375 H&H be necked down to 7mm stw and then fireformed?

Cornmeal or loaded ammo?

I have stepped it down to 35/33/30 then 7mm. The neck is the correct length, it chambers on the shoulder from the neckdown, but Im afraid to fire it up.....

OK- I admit I havent read all 356 pages of this forum, I have read 265 of them though, and I have an idea I havent seen yet.

With the crush on reloading parts orders and everyone everywhere being backordered, I think the manufacturers will focus on cranking out 223, 308, 30-06, 45,38 ect.ect.

7mm STW is only made by a few manufacturers currently so resources may switch to more lucrative production, leaving us in the proverbial lurch. So, can a 375 H&H be necked down to 7mm stw and then fireformed?

Cornmeal or loaded ammo?

I have stepped it down to 35/33/30 then 7mm. The neck is the correct length, it chambers on the shoulder from the neckdown, but Im afraid to fire it up.....
Yes the 375 can be necked down with some work(as its the parent case for all belted magnums) but if you can get some 8mm Mag brass its a much easier job can and I have done both and I think the loaded ammo works a little better but I use Conmeal in the STW to save the tube life

Cornmeal or loaded ammo?

I've made a hundred or so of the rem 375 brass I had from years back into 7stw. I've tried both fireforming with H4831 and 120's(god job and rather accurate for putzing around) and the few grains of pistol powder and farina/cream of wheat method. I'd not use the latter as it as frankly terrible to clean your barrel after the cereal burns in it.
Any of the full length belteds will make 7stw, with the 300 roy and the 8rem at the top of the list as the fireforming is less. If you are necking down 375 h@h make sure to use an intermediate step like a 338 sizer die long so you don't crush the neck trying to go from 37 cal to 7mm at once.

Brush - thanks for the instructions. I think I got it figured out.
7stw - how much jump are you giving the 145 LRX ? Where is a good starting point for me ? My gun is Remington 700 action with lija barrel 1-10.

Brush - thanks for the instructions. I think I got it figured out.
7stw - how much jump are you giving the 145 LRX ? Where is a good starting point for me ? My gun is Remington 700 action with lija barrel 1-10.

Oglebuck, I am loading the 145 LRX to 3.688. The barnes bullets LIKES to jump. So I wouldn't worry about trying to fill gap. I don't think it is a good practice to seat a mono bullet into the riflings anyway. It causes the pressures to skyrocket pretty quick.
I would set it in right at 3.688. It will cycle through the box magazine, and will engage the throat nicely, while still being in the case. These bullets are amazingly accurate, you'll see!

I've made a hundred or so of the rem 375 brass I had from years back into 7stw. I've tried both fireforming with H4831 and 120's(god job and rather accurate for putzing around) and the few grains of pistol powder and farina/cream of wheat method. I'd not use the latter as it as frankly terrible to clean your barrel after the cereal burns in it.
Any of the full length belteds will make 7stw, with the 300 roy and the 8rem at the top of the list as the fireforming is less. If you are necking down 375 h@h make sure to use an intermediate step like a 338 sizer die long so you don't crush the neck trying to go from 37 cal to 7mm at once.

What was your fireforming load?

I necked them down in steps. 35/33/30/then 7.

A lot of work, but it is good to know I have options. I have used 8mm mag before, but it is rarer then 7STW.