7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Maybe we just had different levels of laminates or something. I have 2 just last week that the tools wouldn't cut at all. But we did a piece of english walnut on friday and it was a dream like those tools are most of time.

Keep in mind that the barrel channel file doesn't work very well on a laminated stock. The laminate makes it basically solid glue, when it does cut, it will be uneven and chatter. A mill is the best option but I realize that's not an option for everyone. Sand paper cuts the glue and wood the best and in the most even manner, at the cost of time. A regular half round wood file works well as well and the straight edge of the file can help keep the channel lip true.
More likely than not, what you got was a Boyd's stock. Their linleting is rough at best, make sure to check the action inleting and the bottom metal before you get too carried away with the barrel channel. I would also recommend bedding it, the last two Boyd's laminated stocked that came into the shop had to have the bottom metal bedded as well to make up for the over cut inletting from Boyd's. I don't want to say they're bad stocks, just a lot of work so don't get me wrong. In most cases a two or three step bedding process is required to get it square as well as aesthetically pleasing before the finial barrel channel can be inleted fully for a proper float. Feel free to call the shop number below anytime you like if you need any information and have questions, we'll help you the best we can.

Ben, thanks for the input, and expertiese. I know what you are talking about when you say the resins do not cut cleanly. This stock isn't a Boyds, it is made by S/K, which is the company who made / makes Remingtons stocks, and also the Bobby Hart series. It dosen't matter, as they both use the compressed laminates and resins. Advice taken and understood. Maybe I will do a little " roughing" with the channeling tools , then finish with half round, or paper and dowel.
I do plan on installing pillars, and to completely bed the receiver, out to about a inch ahead of the lug, then the rest will be floated. I recently did a LSS that way, and it came out mint. You are right though, that stuff is hard to machine, but it is a great stock material.

Wanted to throw my lot in with the brotherhood. I've been shooting my father's STW since eighth grade. It's a stock Rem 700 BDL with leupold 4.5-14x40 Vari-x 3 AO. My father passed from ALS Dec. 27 so carrying this rifle really holds a lot of sentiment. He purchased the rifle in the mid 90's to carry on a hunt in Labrador with Jack Hume Adv. but opted for his browning Abolt 7 mag. So this rifle stayed in the safe until he got a deal on some glass for it.
Thanks for all the load info, I'll be starting up that labor of love here shortly.

Wanted to throw my lot in with the brotherhood. I've been shooting my father's STW since eighth grade. It's a stock Rem 700 BDL with leupold 4.5-14x40 Vari-x 3 AO. My father passed from ALS Dec. 27 so carrying this rifle really holds a lot of sentiment. He purchased the rifle in the mid 90's to carry on a hunt in Labrador with Jack Hume Adv. but opted for his browning Abolt 7 mag. So this rifle stayed in the safe until he got a deal on some glass for it.
Thanks for all the load info, I'll be starting up that labor of love here shortly.

Sorry to hear about your Father.... That being said he sure left you a great and specilal gift. It will continue to be a memory maker for sure. Welcome to the brotherhood and as others will also say.... If we can help, you need only ask and we will help where we can...

Dan

Sorry to hear about your Father.... That being said he sure left you a great and specilal gift. It will continue to be a memory maker for sure. Welcome to the brotherhood and as others will also say.... If we can help, you need only ask and we will help where we can...

Dan

+1 on all above comments

Decades of experience with the 7mmstw here on the thread... heck of a caliber

Dan

+1 from 7STW as well. I too recently lost my Dad to prostate issues, and he leftme with treasures as well. They keep and make memories still. Dano said it all, if you have a question, just ask, we all help each here a lot. That's why we call it " The Brotherhood". And again, Welcome,

palmettopredator

Welcome fellow Ohioan. Your wife will be on the list with mine!!! Sorry to know that you have lost your father too, but he did live you a nice rifle and some great memories. My father left me his '67 Chevelle.

These guys are great for being helpful and supportive.

I appreciate it fellas. I've been jotting everything down in a notebook, planning a reloading bench and already planning a build. (My wife is going to dislike you guys.)

That's OK, most of our wives dislike us too!!! Ha ha . Ask questions, burn some nitro, smell the smells, and shoot tiny groups, and critters WAAAAAY over yonder! That's what we like to do best!

Guys, I am looking for a barrel channel rasp or file or what ever they are called. I am getting a laminated stock from Stockys, but by the dimensions that are posted, I will need to open it up around .030, to get the barrel to fully float. I have done the old " dowel and sandpaper" routine before, but that's going to be a lot of sanding, and I want it perfect. The barrel will be a # 4 Brux. Any thoughts?
Thanks.

I used an old barrel from a rebuild with sand paper. The taper was natural that way.

Question
In the future I want to get my Sendero rebuilt/rebarreled. I'll be going with the 7mm ultra mag or the 7mm STW. I would like to primelry set the gun up to shoot the 180 VLD's for long range. What is the preferred twist rate or best twist rate and length of barrel to get the best performance out of this combo....any experienced or susgestions are welcome. The gun I currently have is a 300 ultra mag. Thanks for your input.

I'm thinking in a year or two I'll build a lefty version of the sendero in 7stw.

Hey Lefty

This is exactly what i think i want to do now instead of dumping money in the old left handed rem 700 bdl. Would like to just build a left handed Sendero with 26" stainless fluted barrel..... Just don't know really where to start. I don't want to use the action from the 700 i have because it was my daddy's, didnt want to change much about the looks besides a little longer barrel. I think i will just leave it in the case like it is. Im scared that even after putting a 26" barrel, pillar bedding stock and truing action it still may not shoot all that great....

Hey Lefty

This is exactly what i think i want to do now instead of dumping money in the old left handed rem 700 bdl. Would like to just build a left handed Sendero with 26" stainless fluted barrel..... Just don't know really where to start. I don't want to use the action from the 700 i have because it was my daddy's, didnt want to change much about the looks besides a little longer barrel. I think i will just leave it in the case like it is. Im scared that even after putting a 26" barrel, pillar bedding stock and truing action it still may not shoot all that great....

Grumpy, might I suggest doing what you want to do, but do it on ANOTHER action. I know this may be the hard part, in finding a left hand magnum action, and build it from the action up. A few of us here have done that, and I am doing that as we speak.
And when you do, do all of those things that you are afraid won't make it shoot any better. They DO make a difference. All that " trouble " does pay dividends on paper, and across the field with a critter out in front of you. It is spelled " confidence".
I just did see a 7 mag " lefty" in a ADL synthetic recently, so they are out there. And I can tell you first hand that pillar bedding and " glass bed" the action works wonders.