I have been looking at some new scopes.
Leica amplus 6 3x18x44mm
Nightforce SHV 5x20x56mm
Trijicon tenmile 4x24x50mm
Zeiss v4 4x16x44mm
Leupold Vx5 3-15x44.
Huskemaw 4x16x42mm
Putting it on my new 280AI.
Going to use it for hunting. And shooting steel out to to 600 yds. Looking for a exposed elevation turret. And a capped windage turret. Could I get a custom turret for each scope? That is custom to my gun and bullet? I have a 20 MOA 1 piece base on my gun.
This boils down to personal preference and intended purpose, We all have varying experiences and vision quality. If you can get behind them (store or friends that owns them), would be best. Sometimes you get lucky at the range, too, as I did in a few occasions. Good luck!

One persons opinion. If FFP scopes had been made available before SFP we would only have FFP. I really don't understand why you would want anything else. Of course that might be because it's so simple it's a good match for myself 😂
Agreed! The Europeans has been using FFPs for many years before it made it here in the US. I have a good mix of SFPs and FFPs. I did not have any issues transitioning from SFP to FFP and now prefer the FFP, esp. with illumination.

I would do the SHV. They track well, return to zero and the glass is plenty good for legal shooting hours. I personally can't see any difference between the SHV and the NXS glass. In my opinion the one con for the 5-20 SHV is that it is a huge and heavy scope, especially for a walking varmint rifle. If you a willing to consider a little less magnification take a look at the 3-10 or the 4-14 F1 in the SHV lineup. Feenix brought up a good point about handling the scopes beforehand, preferably at the range or at the very least on a scope tryout stock.

As expected, you have gotten tons of different responses and the debate and feedback could go on forever. All I can do is give you my personal experience. I own a NightForce ATCAR, (2) Trijicon Tenmile HX 5-25x50; (1) Trjicon Tenmile 5-30x56 with 34mm tube; and a Zeiss Conquest 4 4-24x50. All of these scope are great and have zero stops; however, you need to look at your budget. Currently Midway has the Zeiss Conquest V4 4-24x50 on sale for $799 and free shipping. I will tell you that for the money that scope is very hard to beat. Regarding custom turrets, you might want to consider Leupold as they commonly have custom turrets. Just my two cents. Do your research, consider the reticle you want & what you will be doing with the scope and happy shooting. Thanks

Hi Mr 204! My first choice is always to go to Leupold. I have used them since the 1970"s when I started hunting. I have owned about 14 or 15 in my life , Vx 2 then VX 3 and VX 5 and also Three Fixed Powers including a 45 X on my Bench Gun. The last two I purchased was a 8.5X to 25 Wind plex for long range and a 3X to 15 X on my .270 Win Hunting Rifle. I own both 1 inch tube scopes and also 30mm Tube scopes. When I find the model I want from a store that has an Open Box, unused or unmounted scope, I jump on it. All are mounted on Steel Leupold Rings and Bases. Several on Dual Dove Tail Rings and Bases. Nothing against Night Force or Trijicon or March. Thery are all excellent optics for sure .My friends Swavarski is the Brightest scope I ever looked through. It was twice the cost of as VX 3 when he bought it. For my next LR Rifle in 7PRC, I will be looking for a scope that has a High End Magnification about 35 X . I hope Leopold has What i need when the time comes. If Not, then NF and Trijicon will be on my radar. Good Luck Buddy

Leica amplus 6 3x18x44mm
Nightforce SHV 5x20x56mm
Zeiss v4 4x16x44mm
Leupold Vx5 3-15x44.
Huskemaw 4x16x42mm
Going to use it for hunting. And shooting steel out to to 600 yds. Looking for an exposed elevation turret. And a capped windage turret. Could I get a custom turret for each scope? That is custom to my gun and bullet? I have a 20 MOA 1 piece base on my gun.
I just picked up a SHV 4-14 F1, very impressed with it so far. As far as custom turrets you can contact them directly at their shop, they put their phone number right on the front of their manual if you have any questions or concerns.

My 2 cents worth, Zeiss V4 w/exposed turrent #68 ZBi reticle in 2nd ffp.
Is an excellent scope. Buy the illuminated version. The has marks are easy to use w/Zeiss app. Done extensive shooting dialing & using reticle-works excellent.
Glass is excellent! Easy to use for wind holds as well. Kenton Industries has three different custom turrent available as well.

Leupy has too many issues, Chinese glass and plastic turrent parts.

SHV are average. NX8 & ACTAR are excellent as well, heavier, twice the dough and heavier-

No experience w/Leica scopes, I own their range finding Binos are excellent.

No experience w/Trijicon, always seems there is some feature on their scopes that keeps me from buying one?

Leica amplus 6 3x18x44mm
Nightforce SHV 5x20x56mm
Zeiss v4 4x16x44mm
Leupold Vx5 3-15x44.
Huskemaw 4x16x42mm
Going to use it for hunting. And shooting steel out to to 600 yds. Looking for an exposed elevation turret. And a capped windage turret. Could I get a custom turret for each scope? That is custom to my gun and bullet? I have a 20 MOA 1 piece base on my gun.
Swarovski Z3 or Z5 if you want light weight

Leica amplus 6 3x18x44mm
Nightforce SHV 5x20x56mm
Zeiss v4 4x16x44mm
Leupold Vx5 3-15x44.
Huskemaw 4x16x42mm
Going to use it for hunting. And shooting steel out to to 600 yds. Looking for a exposed elevation turret. And a capped windage turret. Could I get a custom turret for each scope? That is custom to my gun and bullet? I have a 20 MOA 1 piece base on my gun.
Buy once cry once, buy the SHV Night Force, mine is illuminated and has functioned properly on 3 large magnumrifles and now sits on my 6.5 NEEDMOOR poof,poof rifle. Check with Mr. Len Backus or Andy Backus, some times they have them discounted . They are great people to deal with. JMHO
Floyd

Leica amplus 6 3x18x44mm
Nightforce SHV 5x20x56mm
Zeiss v4 4x16x44mm
Leupold Vx5 3-15x44.
Huskemaw 4x16x42mm
Kenton industries they make them for the leica there good scopes I've used them for many years now

Leica amplus 6 3x18x44mm
Nightforce SHV 5x20x56mm
Zeiss v4 4x16x44mm
Leupold Vx5 3-15x44.
Huskemaw 4x16x42mm
I have the Leopold vx5 that you mention. It has been a great scope so far and leupold gives you one set of custom turrets. I have tested the turrets on my setup out to 700 yards and have been pleased. Scope is great for the price point. I do not have any experience with the others that you mentioned....