need help picking a scope

llklein

im getting a savage 338 lapua hs here shortly,and trying to decide on a scope,ive narrowed it down to a few and would like opinions.i dont whant to spend over a G and i want a new scope and pretty shure i want a sfp.im looking at the vortex 6-24x50 pst moa,sightron siii 6-24x50 moa,zeiss conquest 6.5-20x50 z1000,and a minox z5 6-30x56 xr bdc .
i like the idea of zero stop on the pst,but would rather have the best glass for my money.im worried the internal adjustment on the zeis and minox wont be enough,ive looked through both scopes and thought the glass was very good but im leaning toward a pst or siii
basicly im going to use this gun for long range paper and steel and a long range elk gun,so unless im missing something witch would be a better choice the viper PST or sightron sii and is the glass is good as the zeiss and minox,i have not looked through a pst or siii but read good reveiws

The Zeiss with the Rapid Z-1000 reticle is designed for tactical shooting with the .308 cartridge and for "hold over." It can work with the .338 Lapua but that is not what it was originally designed for and you will probably have to adjust magnification for the .338. I have the Rapid-Z 1000 on my Savage .308 and I also have the Vortex Viper PST on my FN-SCAR .308. The Rapid Z will be what you want if you want to just hold-over to shoot (but that is probably not what you will want to do with the .338. If you want to dial in the settings you will either want a different reticle in the Zeiss or use something like the Viper PST with moa (which I like a lot).

The Sightron SIII has great reviews for a reason. They are great scopes. The internals are very durable. I have used one for a couple years and I dial for every single shot (they have got a lot of use), still tracks perfect every time. Side by side with my buddies Nighforce I prefer my SIII, the NF seems a little blue and nothing special to look through. The SIII definitely has "warmer" colors.
If you are looking for the Sightron SIII 6-24X50 LRMOA I still have a couple in stock at the moment.

i really wanted to try out a viper pst,and looked one over at the local store,and really liked it.but with all the good reviews about the siii i decided to try one out.when you cant really find one post on the net about one failing and all you see are folks raving about how well they track and how good the glass is its hard to ignore.ordered one up from tikka lover,good price too.
i would still like to see a side by side comparison of the two

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.