Need help picking new scope

Alan Griffith

My wife gave me the go ahead, with both Father's day and my birthdsy coming up, to get a much needed scope. Looking for a new scope which will be used primarily for load development at 100 and 250 yards, Ladder tests at 300 yards and computing actual bullet drop out to 500 yds for soon to be installed Lee dots in my 4x Leupy.

Rifle is a Rem 700 in 30-06. Lots of lightening so with the current 4x Leupold the overall weight is 6.5 lbs. I usually run 180's or 200's. I want to make sure the recoil does not kill the scope though it doesn't bother me a bit.

I'm thinking HIGH power with an Adj. Objective. Variable power so that on days when the heat waves are really wavy, I can turn the powder down.

Leupold and the German glass, nice as they are, are not in the budget. I'm thinking along the lines of the Bushnell Elite's, Nikon Buckmaster's and the Weaver Classic's.

In my price range is the Elite 3200, 4-12x40, 5-15x40, 7-21x40, Buckmaster 4.5-14-40 w/ sidefocus and 6-18x40 w/ sidefocus, Weaver Classic 4-16x40, Classic V24 6-24x40.

Once the range work is over, the Leupy 4x, which is getting some Lee dots installed soon after I get the exact bullet drop dopped, goes back on for hunting to keep the theme of the rifle, "light"!

Suggestions, advice, do's and don'ts.

Any of the scopes you listed would do the job for you.

Ok if I add a little?

For shooting to the limit of 500yds, I think that 10X would be more than sufficient. Many are shooting a straight 10X to beyond 1K. Mirage would not be 'that much' of a problem.

I wouldn't disregard a straight 16X either, but mirage increases its ugly head a little sooner. Nevertheless mirage is there whether you see it or not.

Having said that, why not consider a Super Sniper? Inexpensive, good value, its tough, 1/8 min clicks, repeatable and the optics are on par with more expensive units. Other pluses are the diopter thinger and the rear parallex adjustment.

However, tube diameter may not be desirable (30mm). But a set of rings is all you would have to purchase.

Just my thoughts......FWIW.

I've got a bushnell 3200, and while is has "worked" I don't think I would buy another one. I would lean toward the nikon if I were you. to my eyes they are a little brighter. crisper image..

good luck, and happy bday!

On the Nikon Buckmaster, you might want to look at the BDC Recticle as well, Ian mentioned it some time back & the circles sounded good but I don't know how much area they cover either.

Bit the bullet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif and ordered the Nikon 4.5-14x40 w/ Mildot ($229.99) and sunshade ($18.50)from Jerryssportscenter.com.

Thanks for all your assistance. Now, I just have to figure out a mildot....and I'm retired Army. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.