7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Everyone,
I love the discussion on the bullets and it is good to get the input from you all, so I guess I will throw my hat in too. I have learned a lot through the last 30 years of hunting experience not so much with target shooting though that the heavier bullets perform much better on game than the lighter bullets. The rule I have learned to go by is the sectional density needs to be .250 or higher to perform well on deer sized game and of course the ballistic coefficient being higher does better with flight. I used to think speed kills and the faster it was the better. I have learned though that higher energy and shot placement is what gets it done, not speed. I agree that the heavier the bullet the better and speeds around 2900 to 3100 is the optimal speed for most.
The bullets I tend to lean towards on my 7stw are the 150-160gr., 6.5 cal. 130-140gr., 30 cal. 165-180gr., these seem to be the optimal weight ranges to me for these calibers. However, calibers like a .243 or the .257 cal., you are limited, the heaviest hunting bullets are right at .250 SD or below and that is were the solid bullets like the Barnes TSX's come into play and make up for it. Now my opinion is from my hunting experience only, not my target experience because I have very little of that and I am sure that a lot of you may not agree with that.
I used to shoot 120gr. Nosler flat base bullets in my 7mmRM because that shot in one ragged hole and I was very confident in them, but was a bad choice for hunting deer because they were too fast and would tear up on impact. Then I went straight to a 162gr. Hornady BTSP and it solved all my problems back then and almost shot just as good. I was all caught up it the sped thing and bullet drop. Mistakes of my youth and ignorance has taught me a lot through the years.
I guess I am rambling now Dano.:D
FE

Ok my turn to ramble. I have used the Sierra Game Kings in the hollow point version in a 270 on deer, nilgai and black bear. All with one shot kills. I stopped using the bullet because it had a terrible bc of the mid 300s, and I used the Nosler BT in the 270 and 300 win mag.

For the STW, I have used the 162 ssts, as stated before, I have now purchased the 168 bergers and 180 bergers. I will also try the Hornaday Amax in 162 and possibly the Cutting Edge Bullet since California has lost its mind and makes us hunt all copper in areas to protect the condors.

I am really enjoying this thread. How fast do you think you can safely push a 160 gr class bullet? With a 26 or longer barrel isnt 3300 possible?

I did a search on Gamekings in here, and found some varied experiences, but one poster stood out on: Sierra 165 Spitzer Boattail's...

His signon is grayback, he said.

I have nothing but bad luck with this bullet at 2500-2800 fps on deer. I know alot of other people that have had the same problem. The jacket and core like to saparate on blacktail and mule deer. The last blacktail I shot with this bullet was a young buck at 150 yards. Shot him right behind the front shoulder. Blood shot him from nose to tail. Only found the jacket on the backside. It's a great long range target bullet not a hunting bullet. I have never had the Sierra 165 Spitzer Boattail come apart or much meat damage at 2600-3100 fps muzzle velocity. Have shot deer, elk , moose and never had the target move more that 10 yards. Last mule deer shot with this bullet was in my 30 Gibbs at 652 yards.

Ed,

That's interesting, It almost seem like "grayback's" post is somewhat conflicting. In one breath he is saying it's not a hunting bullet, but in the next he's singing is praises in the .30 Gibbs.

I've had core-jacket separations and I've had blood shot game, especially when they ran a little ways, but I've never lost a Muley to a .30 cal 165g Sierra Gameking, they flat out work in .30-06 Class cartridges.

They are my back up bullets to the Bergers. I have a very accurate load for them in my .30-06 AI and are usually what I'll let others shoot deer with when they want to use my rilfe.

Dan

I think I'll have to go back to read that post and area again. I read a lot of good things about Gamekings for taking deer out and they are accurate which I like, in my 7stw.

Thanks Dano1!

I think I'll have to go back to read that post and area again. I read a lot of good things about Gamekings for taking deer out and they are accurate which I like, in my 7stw.

Thanks Dano1!

Ed, you know that old saying," what goes around, comes BACK around". I think that everyone here has killed game with Sierras, I know **** well I have. Well, I think that every time the latest and greatest " shoot um up whiz bang " bullet comes out, we forget where we started, AND what works. I guess we are all guilty of that from time to time. But it is fun, you have to admit. One thing about it, you don't usually have to do much to get a gun to shoot Sierras either. You are in the same search that I am into, that is something that shoots well, AND stays together to do the job it was sent to do. Good thought for good food!!!!! Ha ha .

Ok my turn to ramble. I have used the Sierra Game Kings in the hollow point version in a 270 on deer, nilgai and black bear. All with one shot kills. I stopped using the bullet because it had a terrible bc of the mid 300s, and I used the Nosler BT in the 270 and 300 win mag.

For the STW, I have used the 162 ssts, as stated before, I have now purchased the 168 bergers and 180 bergers. I will also try the Hornaday Amax in 162 and possibly the Cutting Edge Bullet since California has lost its mind and makes us hunt all copper in areas to protect the condors.

I am really enjoying this thread. How fast do you think you can safely push a 160 gr class bullet? With a 26 or longer barrel isnt 3300 possible?

I have been thinking about that, and I think you are hard pressed in a 26' without getting pressure. In a 28, I think it can be done. Problem is, if you OVERDRIVE the bullets, they come unglued. That sucks! I am starting to think that slower is better as far as keeping the bullets together. They are more accurate too! Now when I say slow, I don't mean TOO slow, I'm talking reasonable, but still STW fast. I have seen what happens to a 168 driven at 3369. It wasn't pretty. That was in 30 caliber.
P/S, California has lost it's mind, but I think that plague may spread eastward!

I talked to Len on here, the site owner, about 2 years ago or so, he had been shooting a 7 Dakota for quite awhile. The Dakota is only a couple grains of powder under an STW and a good case design, I think he said he ran his at 3075, the 177 grain Cauterucios, he seemed to absolutely love them. Shortly thereafter he went to a Brerger bullet in 7 Dakota I gathered on here. I never spoke with him about the Bergers. The next I read, I think he switched to 6.5 caliber, 6.5x284 and was running Bergers in it?

The 177 Cauterucios may be the ticket if they shoot in your gun. If anyone has shot them, in a STW, please chime in.

I had an Weatherby Accumark 7STW that shot the 160 Barnes TSX at 3325 out of a stock barrel 26" into 1/2" 3shot groups at 200 yards consistently using IMR-7828 and no pressure issues. It was at the top but I'd get 5/6 firings before the brass give up primer pockets.

Unfortunately I no longer have that rifle. Since I have had 2 different 7STW's one of which is an Accumark and it cannot come close to what the previous one did with the 160's but this one wails the 140 TTSX out there very well....just like the cartridge was originally designed to do.

i really think a 28" can get you there though.

So it is possible, yes if everything lines up...The right powder..chamber dimensions.....barrel groove/bore dia.'s and the right bullet. Did I mention Venus and the Moon. Wish I had that 'ole rifle.

I have a 30 in tube and have busted 3300 with a couple of different powders and 162 amax bullets.

I also love this thread. I am glad to see so many people and so much info dealing with the stw.

I have a 30 in tube and have busted 3300 with a couple of different powders and 162 amax bullets.

I also love this thread. I am glad to see so many people and so much info dealing with the stw.

Yeah, this thread is rockin'. 487 with this addition. Also, check out the views! 18,000 and something! Holy %>€£¥!
Any who, a friend of mine owns a SUPER sick, accurate 40x BR, in 7STW. He has a 27 1/4 inch barrel. He does not load hot, in fact he is very conservative. He has been shooting 160 partitions since day one, and told me a while back that he has seen 3212 on his screen. I don't know if that is the load he is shooting, but it is a indicator that you need the extra length to get it. I really think that if you do get it in a 26, you are certainly into and above 65,000 , and I care to not go there. It is just a matter of time before something lets go, or you over stress the action. I'll pass !!! I think that a safe but near max load with a optimal powder, will get you close,and in the real world, that close is close enough. The deer wont run away from the difference. IMHO !!!!