7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Wildrose, I have been working with the 140 Bergers and they are working out just fine. I just hate it that when you spend the T&M on one load they discontinue one of the components and you get to start all over again. Oh well, I didn't draw a single tag for this falls hunting so I have all fall and winter to dork around at the range. Happy Hunting!
The best advice I can give anyone when it comes to reloading components is to buy in bulk anytime you have a load/bullet combo you are happy with.

I'm not a fan of the Berger's myself but a know a whole lot of people that are very happy with them. If they work for you and you're happy with their performance on game I'd say stick with what you have. I just like more consistent controlled expansion so I know what to expect every time I pull the trigger.

The best advice I can give anyone when it comes to reloading components is to buy in bulk anytime you have a load/bullet combo you are happy with.

I'm not a fan of the Berger's myself but a know a whole lot of people that are very happy with them. If they work for you and you're happy with their performance on game I'd say stick with what you have. I just like more consistent controlled expansion so I know what to expect every time I pull the trigger.
X-2

Hi Guys - Long time since I've posted here but always lurking. Haven't had any opportunity to hunt with the 7stw recently but it looks like that's about to change.

Meanwhile, getting ready for my fall deer hunt, I found that my rangefinder has crapped out, and I need to buy a new one. Not having the big $ for a really good one, I've narrowed it down to 2 - the Leupold RX 1200i TBR and the Nikon Prostaff 7i. Both of the compensate for shooting angle which is important to me. I have read & viewed a lot of reviews on the Leupy and am pretty sure what I'd be getting with that unit. However the Nikon is fairly new and there's not much out there on it. Of the reviews I have seen, only 2 are very comprehensive. One says they ranged trees 1300 yds + and sheep 1000 yds +. The other review said they were disappointed that they were only able to get readings out to 800 on reflective targets. I have also considered the Vortex ranger 1000, but it's effective range seems to be a bit less than the Leupy.

So what I'm looking for is advice from the brotherhood on what rangefinder to buy. If you think another model is best let me know, all opinions are welcome. Thanks, Bob

Hi Guys - Long time since I've posted here but always lurking. Haven't had any opportunity to hunt with the 7stw recently but it looks like that's about to change.

Meanwhile, getting ready for my fall deer hunt, I found that my rangefinder has crapped out, and I need to buy a new one. Not having the big $ for a really good one, I've narrowed it down to 2 - the Leupold RX 1200i TBR and the Nikon Prostaff 7i. Both of the compensate for shooting angle which is important to me. I have read & viewed a lot of reviews on the Leupy and am pretty sure what I'd be getting with that unit. However the Nikon is fairly new and there's not much out there on it. Of the reviews I have seen, only 2 are very comprehensive. One says they ranged trees 1300 yds + and sheep 1000 yds +. The other review said they were disappointed that they were only able to get readings out to 800 on reflective targets. I have also considered the Vortex ranger 1000, but it's effective range seems to be a bit less than the Leupy.

So what I'm looking for is advice from the brotherhood on what rangefinder to buy. If you think another model is best let me know, all opinions are welcome. Thanks, Bob
I'd be leery of anyone claiming to be ranging game at 1,000 yards accurately without laying out a whole lot of money for something like the G2 or PLRF.

My leupold will give me pretty solid readings out to about 650-700yds but that's in ideal conditions. 550-600 is more realistic.

I can't say that the Nikon won't do it but I would certainly be surprised if it does.

The Bushnell Fusion is developing a solid reputation and I may give one of them a try in a year or so.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Rose that helps. I am looking at the Bushnell Elite One Mile ARC and leaning in that direction at the moment. What model Leupold rangefinder are you using?

Anybody else have any thoughts on which rangefinder to buy under $600?

You have to be careful with that Rose guy!!!!!
He's so sneaky he puts on a hat and a special pair of shoes and his name changes the Leopold. Then he hikes and measures the distance that way. I tell you he definitely has the ability and experience to know his equipment!!!

I personally have a lieca and I love it!!!!! Very accurate and real ranges when compared to others.

Thanks Rose that helps. I am looking at the Bushnell Elite One Mile ARC and leaning in that direction at the moment. What model Leupold rangefinder are you using?

Anybody else have any thoughts on which rangefinder to buy under $600?
I picked up the RX-B used on ebay a couple of years ago and got it at a real bargain. More often than not it gets the job done just fine for me.

The Bushnell appeals to me but I don't do enough shooting beyond 600yds to justify the expense.

Watch the LRH classifieds and you will occasionally come across some decent deals on quality rangefinders and as long as you are buying from established members there's little to worry about.

You have to be careful with that Rose guy!!!!!
He's so sneaky he puts on a hat and a special pair of shoes and his name changes the Leopold. Then he hikes and measures the distance that way. I tell you he definitely has the ability and experience to know his equipment!!!

I personally have a lieca and I love it!!!!! Very accurate and real ranges when compared to others.
:D ...

Hello. First time posting
Long time fan of the 7mm STW first time user. Just picked out a Limited edition Remington 700 SPS 7mm STW. Can't find much on it. Seen a few things in here about it. It's a 26" bbl with 9 twist. I have other 700s but never one like this. Does anyone have anything good to say about it? Seen plenty of bad but is it really just a paper weight? I have a Remington 700 ADL 8mm Rem mag i re barreled and re stocked and it's a NICE rifle. 3/4" group with 3 shots at 200 yards. Is my 7mm STW going to be anywhere close? Thanks. Have a nice day

Hello. First time posting
Long time fan of the 7mm STW first time user. Just picked out a Limited edition Remington 700 SPS 7mm STW. Can't find much on it. Seen a few things in here about it. It's a 26" bbl with 9 twist. I have other 700s but never one like this. Does anyone have anything good to say about it? Seen plenty of bad but is it really just a paper weight? I have a Remington 700 ADL 8mm Rem mag i re barreled and re stocked and it's a NICE rifle. 3/4" group with 3 shots at 200 yards. Is my 7mm STW going to be anywhere close? Thanks. Have a nice day

I had decent luck with an SPS STW. Just depends what your expectations are... You can get 5-8 inch groups out of it at 500 yards. Here's what I would recommend.

Run David Tubbs Final Finish Kit through the barrel first thing to smooth out the asphalt in that barrel. #2 put a decent stock on it and glass bed it. Have your gunsmith add a Wyatt's 4" mag box to the new stock to allow you some freedom with seating depth (if you're a hand-loader).

Don't expect to get 5-shot tight groups out of it. If you shoot 2 at a time and let it cool, it should shoot well. The sporter weight barrel just won't hold zero well as it warms up so take your time, bring a couple rifles to the range and let her cool between every 2 shots.

Nosler custom ammo with 140/160 accubonds produced the best off-the-shelf groups for me. I would stick with more forgiving bullet designs with the stock barrel (non VLD) if you're going to shoot stock ammo. I really feel seating depth is a key variable you'll want/need to manipulate to get the best accuracy out of this fire breather.

I eventually re-barreled mine with a heavier contoured Krieger 1:9 27" tube so I could stretch the range out much farther than 500 yards. If you're a western hunter, I'd recommend a 1:8 or 8.5 twist if/when you re-barrel so you can utilize the heavier bullets newly available. For whitetails and 500 - 600 yard max shooting I'd stick with the lighter bullets and 1:9 to take advantage of the high velocities you can attain from this cartridge. Just my 2 cents. Your mileage and the opinions of others may vary...

Welcome to the Brotherhood & Good luck!

Coop

Good to hear. I was thinking 168gr VLD- 180GR VLD. Berger recommends the 9 twist for their 180gr-195gr so it appeared to me the 9 was good. I will likely be loading 168 VLDs for my light load and 175gr Nosler Accubond LR for my reach out and touch em round. Of course I'll let the rifle decide. Was certainly thinking re-stock with a chance of re-barrel. PROOF manufacturing makes a 26" Carbon Fiber barrel I've got my eye on. Not too sure the good and bad of these carbon fiber barrels but it is my observation enough people are making them that somebody's got to like them. Thanks

Good to hear. I was thinking 168gr VLD- 180GR VLD. Berger recommends the 9 twist for their 180gr-195gr so it appeared to me the 9 was good. I will likely be loading 168 VLDs for my light load and 175gr Nosler Accubond LR for my reach out and touch em round. Of course I'll let the rifle decide. Was certainly thinking re-stock with a chance of re-barrel. PROOF manufacturing makes a 26" Carbon Fiber barrel I've got my eye on. Not too sure the good and bad of these carbon fiber barrels but it is my observation enough people are making them that somebody's got to like them. Thanks

1:9 is borderline with 180's and heavier depending on your altitude and conditions so I would check Berger's online calculator to determine your stability factor in expected shooting scenarios. 1.4 is minimum recommended and 1.5 is better. Lower temp and altitude = lower stability factor. Higher altitude and temp = better stability factor. Velocity is also a factor, higher is better.

I would definitely get a Wyatts box if you're planning to play with the VLD's - seating depth will be critical and you don't have much room to play with a 3.7" standard magazine. My loaded rounds are about about 3.84" long with the bullet still .050" off the lands. 1:8 or 8.5 is absolutely a better choice if you think you're going to shoot the 195's.

Sweet. The 8.5 is sounding better and better. Not sure I'd use the BIG VLDs too much. I'm hunting Colorado so the Altitudeis plenty high here for sure. Lol. The magazine box you speak of, i haven't looked it up yet but does it come with detachable mag? Just curious, I've often thought there was a reason for it only own one rifle with one and absolutely love it. What type of stock do you use? I like Boyds I have 2 rifles with Boyds stocks. One is aluminum bedded the other steal bedded. Was thinking maybe one of those lite weight stocks to accompany a carbon barrel. I'm not sesitive to recoil but I'm sure every man has their stopping point. Just haven't found mine. My 8mm mag is notorious for recoil but with the steal bedded Boyds laminate stock and 1" decelerator recoil pad it's quite manageable. I also have a 35 whelen in a Boyds stock that with 250gr SP that's not too pleasent it lacks the steal and recoil pad my 8 has.

Recent Posts