7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

WTB 7mm STW or *mm Rem Mag brass

Guys I live in Virginia and as you would expect its not a popular place for 7mmSTW as far as assets available. Im looking for some STW brass or 8mm RM brass to resize. I traded a buddy in Oregon for the rifle and love it. Brass I have is at the end of its life and need to acquire more. I hand load and cant see spending 60$ for decent ammo when I can reload exactly what this baby loves.

Thanks if you can help.
Jimbo

O great cumulative wisdom of the brotherhood-

I beseech thee for an answer on 190-195 gr bullets and us869.

I findeth no answers.

Seriously- the label says 91 gr with a 145 bullet. I think this powder will work well on a 7stw and a 195. Has anyone used it or a similar powder for a 190 or even 180?

Thanks

BJD gun)

I built a 6.5 STW last year and only put 3 rounds through it to ck. velocity 140gr. 82grns H870 @ 3550 fps not bad. I built a 6.5 STW on a MK V Weatherby action and had a 30" Lilja 1in8 #7 contour for antelope in eastern MT I live in western MT but the
wonderful fish and goose dept. did not draw me again for the 2nd year in 35 years, so I have not been able to try it out yet. It only weighs 15# so I will have to take my grandson to be gun bearer for me. Nosler thinks they have something with their NEW 26 HA HA HA they only get 3450 fps with 140gr and I haven't even worked up a load yet. Anyway I just thought I would write today because I have not been on here for some time. Thanks for listening The WOP

I findeth no answers.

Seriously- the label says 91 gr with a 145 bullet. I think this powder will work well on a 7stw and a 195. Has anyone used it or a similar powder for a 190 or even 180?

Thanks

BJD gun)

BJD....
I have a bit of info for you from the old Barnes #2 manual.... they at one time made a 195 grain spitzer flat base in 7mm.... they used both h870 and aa 8700 in the data...

for the 7mm stw....
h870 they started at 79gr and topped at 84 gr with a start vel of 2757 and a top vel of 2932 in a 26" pipe
aa8700 they started at 78gr and topped at 83 gr with a start vel of 2753 and a top vel of 2929 fps in a 26" pipe.

most of the 50 cal. ball powders are very close in burn rate so you ought to land about here with 869, but I'd err on caution and start a couple of grains below start charges and walk into pressure slowly

been awhile since ive been on here and have a qwestion or two for you guys. Ive been using the 180 vlds and hybrids and they've been shooting pretty good (4" group at 500) but I am looking for some feedback on the 175 gamekings and the 162 amax for the stw. I been hearing that the 162 amax is suppose to be a good bullet for the stw and had read the the 175 gameking the same. In this picture is one reason Im not to excited about the 180 hybrid. 20141201_080626.jpg The jacket was on the tail and the bullet entered about 5" below the back above the shoulder and exited out the top of the back. big hole and was at 665 yards but i didnt like how i found the jacket on the top of the tail. yes i do know that the hybrid is a target bullet but it shot better than the vld at the time and didnt have much time before the season to try a bunch of different bullets. If any of you had tried these bullets that im asking about please let me know what you think. I'm using retumbo 215 federal match primers and seated .010 off the lands. 28" tube. thanks guys for any info. Oh and thats the jacket to the left of the exit hole.

Last edited:
been awhile since ive been on here and have a qwestion or two for you guys. Ive been using the 180 vlds and hybrids and they've been shooting pretty good (4" group at 500) but I am looking for some feedback on the 175 gamekings and the 162 amax for the stw. I been hearing that the 162 amax is suppose to be a good bullet for the stw and had read the the 175 gameking the same. In this picture is one reason Im not to excited about the 180 hybrid.View attachment 52011 The jacket was on the tail and the bullet entered about 5" below the back above the shoulder and exited out the top of the back. big hole and was at 665 yards but i didnt like how i found the jacket on the top of the tail. yes i do know that the hybrid is a target bullet but it shot better than the vld at the time and didnt have much time before the season to try a bunch of different bullets. If any of you had tried these bullets that im asking about please let me know what you think. I'm using retumbo 215 federal match primers and seated .010 off the lands. 28" tube. thanks guys for any info. Oh and thats the jacket to the left of the exit hole.

Two things here... one- you have a dead critter so the bullet actually did its job, albeit a bit poorly...
two, even at 600+ yards, the 180 berger is still a rather soft bullet for hitting any bone started at the vel. you are starting them at.

Two years ago I shot a mule deer buck through the neck at 480 yards with a 140ab in my stw. The bullet performed about perfectly, with a nice hole through the critter and instantly dead critter. No surface splash or serious shrapnel at al; even going through the neck bones. Sometimes you can have too much bullet for the job at hand and need to be extra careful as to where you place that bullet. I see the berger in that light for mid range shots... The nos ab will shed vel/ energy faster but hold together better on mid range shots.

I findeth no answers.

Thanks

BJD gun)
I havent tried them but I load 91 grains of us 869 for 160 gr ab@3500 out of 31.5 pipe dime size groups at 100 and 300

I agree with it being a softer bullet, and is why im wanting looking into the 162gr amax or the 175 sierra gameking. It did do its job, but mentally i dont like just finding the jacket.

been awhile since ive been on here and have a qwestion or two for you guys. Ive been using the 180 vlds and hybrids and they've been shooting pretty good (4" group at 500) but I am looking for some feedback on the 175 gamekings and the 162 amax for the stw. I been hearing that the 162 amax is suppose to be a good bullet for the stw and had read the the 175 gameking the same. In this picture is one reason Im not to excited about the 180 hybrid.View attachment 52011 The jacket was on the tail and the bullet entered about 5" below the back above the shoulder and exited out the top of the back. big hole and was at 665 yards but i didnt like how i found the jacket on the top of the tail. yes i do know that the hybrid is a target bullet but it shot better than the vld at the time and didnt have much time before the season to try a bunch of different bullets. If any of you had tried these bullets that im asking about please let me know what you think. I'm using retumbo 215 federal match primers and seated .010 off the lands. 28" tube. thanks guys for any info. Oh and thats the jacket to the left of the exit hole.
I'd shoot the Hornady Interbond, Nosler Accubond, or Accbond LR rather than the Amax. The Amax is just too frangible at STW velocities. It is designed as a target bullet, not as a hunting bullet. Even the SST would be a better bullet since it has a thicker jacket but I even find it too frangible at 300yds or less.

Wildrose,
If you know where I can find a few hundred Interbonds, it would be greatly appreciated. My STW loves the light 140's. Happy Hunting!

Wildrose,
If you know where I can find a few hundred Interbonds, it would be greatly appreciated. My STW loves the light 140's. Happy Hunting!
I wish I had a hidden supply I could share or knew of someone with a big back stock of them but I don't and don't know of any. From what I see on their website they are "temporarily suspended".

Unfortunately even the Interlock seems to be in short supply as well.

You might want to give the GMX a try. I haven't shot any in the STW but I have shot them in several other calibers and was pleased with their performance on game. The Nosler Accubond is a consistently good performer as well.

Wildrose, I have been working with the 140 Bergers and they are working out just fine. I just hate it that when you spend the T&M on one load they discontinue one of the components and you get to start all over again. Oh well, I didn't draw a single tag for this falls hunting so I have all fall and winter to dork around at the range. Happy Hunting!