7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Yee Haa! So glad to hear you reload. I have a custom 700 with a 26 inch tube. I found the Swift Scirracco 150 gr. to put deer DRT. Expensive bullet so find one to work up loads. I also found RL19 to be great in mine.
Without a brake it gets to be a pounder on the bench. Don't know if you can, but I have gone to the suppressor! Yes, it does work even on the STW! Both in noise reduction and recoil as well. Nothing but positives come from using the suppressor. If you can't hunt with them, maybe at least you can shoot them on the ranges? But you need a quality "smith to thread the barrel for either the brake or the suppressor.

I will have to look into that, I've thought about it on the Ruger skeleton stock 300 win mag I have. That gun hurts my shoulder when I think about it. Thanks for the info, my buddy has a STW he loads for, I believe he is using 74 grains of RL22, we'll have to try the 19. A bunch of us buddies had hard to find ammo guns, so I traded out a flooring job for a bunch of reloading equipment so we could all get together and give us something to do in the winter when it was slow and not have to worry about finding ammo again. It's been really fun over the years, there are about 8 of us that reload together. We started loading for my 264's 257 bob and 257 wthby and the other guys wssm's and now we are doing everything we own, it's addicting. It'll take me a year to read the forum, but I am definitely learning a lot about the caliber.

Buy some Nosler brass, some Berger 180 Hybrids, and some IMR 7828 SSC powder, and light it with a Federal 215M primer.

Start around 68 grains with the bullet seated at magazine length, and slowly work up your powder charge from there in 1/2gr increments to find the node and your max load when you first start seeing pressure signs.

Buy some Nosler brass, some Berger 180 Hybrids, and some IMR 7828 SSC powder, and light it with a Federal 215M primer.

Start around 68 grains with the bullet seated at magazine length, and slowly work up your powder charge from there in 1/2gr increments to find the node and your max load when you first start seeing pressure signs.

Sorry to be a little off the subject, but it's 59 degrees outside. The garage is almost warm enough for me to go out there and do some reloading! I've been putting it off for a while.

Nosler brass I've got. But my bullets are Berger 180-grain VLD Hunting bullets. Kind of an odd-looking bullet, after a lifetime of looking at SGKs. :D

264wmkbob, you will get a lot of recipes for the STW. I've heard about RL22 being a good one. Some folks love the heavy weight bullets. You just need to experiment where you live and find what YOUR GUN loves. Each gun is a law unto its own. Where I shoot I don't have a need for anything heavier than 150. But where you are or go; different story.
Sure do like what you and your friends have done about reloading! That sounds terrific! BTW, I have had the pleasure of visiting you beautiful state to see Reinhart Fajen when he had his business in Warsaw. Bought a lot of blanks from him. While there, his son's wife took me to their home where I saw some awesome whitetail mounts! Have you ever gone after them?

Sorry to be a little off the subject, but it's 59 degrees outside. The garage is almost warm enough for me to go out there and do some reloading! I've been putting it off for a while.

Nosler brass I've got. But my bullets are Berger 180-grain VLD Hunting bullets. Kind of an odd-looking bullet, after a lifetime of looking at SGKs. :D
Regardless of VLD or Hybrid, I would still go by the same principles and work up my load. I have loads for both, as well.

I've got a model 70 classic that was re chambered from 7mm mag to 7mm stw, as far as I've been able to find its either a 1:9.25 or 1:9.5 twist rate. How heavy of bullets will this stabalize? I've shot 160s but I would like to see what the really heavies can do. I looked at bergers website and it says not to use anything above a 168 and even then only certain bullets? I really don't want to accidentally step into something that will toss keyholes.

New to the forum. Just got my new build back.
Specs-
Bartlein barrel, heavy hunter contour, finished length 26-3/4".
Remington 700 action, trued bolt and blueprinted action, glass bedded and free floated
McMillan Remington hunter black and grey marble stock
Timney trigger
Wyatts bottom metal and mag
Muzzle break
Cerekote on all metal except the scope, mag and bolt- titanium blue Don't Get this color!I'm sending it back for sniper grey.
Custom bolt knob
Leupold 4.5-14 scope. Target knobs coming soon. I Will upgrade to Vortex or Nightforce....weigh in please!

Shot it yesterday to start break in and was pretty pleased. No real load development and first 3 shot group was about .70 @ 100....lots of work to do still though.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 12
I've got a model 70 classic that was re chambered from 7mm mag to 7mm stw, as far as I've been able to find its either a 1:9.25 or 1:9.5 twist rate. How heavy of bullets will this stabalize? I've shot 160s but I would like to see what the really heavies can do. I looked at bergers website and it says not to use anything above a 168 and even then only certain bullets? I really don't want to accidentally step into something that will toss keyholes.

With a 9.25-9.5 you will most likely be stuck to 168 or lighter. I have a 9.25 that happens to love the 180's...But you'll never know until you try. That's how I found out.

Thanks, I did last week and I am awaiting a reply. Just found one on Gun Broker for sale, says it's a Sendero and only 500 were made. Very cool. Thanks for letting me intrude for a little bit, I'm gonna have to shoot this thing and see what you all are talking about.
You aren't intruding, welcome.

Nice find.

With a 9.25-9.5 you will most likely be stuck to 168 or lighter. I have a 9.25 that happens to love the 180's...But you'll never know until you try. That's how I found out.

I've heard that the stw with its faster mv can use heavier bullets, how fast does something actually have to go before this comes into play? I know the stw is a fair shake faster than the 7mm mag but my only real long range shooting has come from my 308. I just picked a twist rate and found some 175 gr smks and never worried about velocities aside from setting a range card so it never occurred to me to test this subject

I've heard that the stw with its faster mv can use heavier bullets, how fast does something actually have to go before this comes into play? I know the stw is a fair shake faster than the 7mm mag but my only real long range shooting has come from my 308. I just picked a twist rate and found some 175 gr smks and never worried about velocities aside from setting a range card so it never occurred to me to test this subject
Stability is all about RPM's. The faster you push a bullett the faster the rpm's with the same twist.

That allows you to stabilize a longer/heavier bullet in the STW than you can in the Rem Mag with the same twist rate since your velocity is 100-200fps faster.