7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Guys on here love this Vortex pst 6x24 I believe and there's lots of them, do a search here and read. I have:

Leupold vx3 4.5-14 boine n crockett reticle
Weaver Extreme 4-16-50 german no 4 reticle
Weaver Extreme 2.5-10-56 german no 4
Nightforce 5.5-25-56 np r2 reticle
And new today Leupold vx-2 lr varmint retie 6-18-40
I'm going to shoot with it tomorrow as I just got my rifle back with a new stock and paint job yesterday.

Im hoping this Leupold is good as it's small and light and looks good on the rifle. Tomorrow I'll give a range report and scope review! Maybe some pics of it all.

You know, the scope options now have really evolved, and the good part of that is that it has kept them all competitive. I used to spell scope, L E U P O L D ....
Then the prices went throughout the roof, and I had to " economize, in order to keep a piece of glass on everything. Some were duds, and some were surprisingly good. Long story short, I have been on a optical upgrade mode , and have good glass on everything, ( well, except for one sore spot ). My no1 sendero, 7 stw, has a VARI x II 6-18 -40 AO. Excellent scope. My Sharpshooter has a Nikon Monarch 6.5-20-44 AO. I am very impressed with the glass in that scope. It CAN get you in trouble at dusk, because you can see past when you CAN shoot. On my new build, I have a Leupold VX II, 6-18-40 AO. I like it, but it is not as good as the VARI- X II. On my 700 LSS 300 win mag, I have a VARI x III 4.4-14 AO. I love that scope. Crystal clear, and has experienced a lot of " fatal images " if you know what I mean!!!
If I could lay my hands on a Leupold long range, 6.5 -20 AO, that would be perfect.
Nightforce, scopes are tough to beat, but can be tough to pay for.
The scopes that my " Brother in Crime, and Deer Sniping " , Gamehawker, has seem to be the ticket. He has nothing but praises for them, and I trust his input, and intuition.
Lots of options out there, both new and used. Don't be afraid to use the " used " option. Those deals pop up here quite a bit. My other Brother, " Butterbean" just bought a dandy , long-range scope, that if he didn't buy it, I was going to sell something TO buy it.
Take care, and look around. The right answer will come, at the right price too!!!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNrdzrlJNfI]shepherd scope 1000 yard shot - YouTube[/ame]

Here's another scope to consider. I bought a Savage 300 Rum with a Sheperd scope on here for 700 bucks total a few weeks ago, I'm going to shoot it soon, with this scope that came with it. It may be the greatest used deal, found here too. Check the video out, I was looking for a manual for it and this is what I discovered about it on the net. STW just said there are used deals out there. It looks like I may have found one, we'll see. Range report eventually too. Be safe hunting guys.

Guys, I just picked up some supplies, RL25, 150 Ballistic tips, and I also picked up a box of Barnes LRX bullets in 145 grain. I have thought about this for a little bit, and I think these bullets are going to be the cats meow!!!! The BC is .486 which is pretty decent, and the performance is said to be like a bullet 10 grains heavier. Will let you all know how they shoot, as I intend on shooting some this weekend. Anyone here with any experience with the Barnes Bullets?
Take care to all!
I really like the Barnes TSX. Shot a big Kansas buck last year with a 168 gr TSX from a 300 WSM Recovered the bullet, it weighed 167.5 gr. Perfect mushroom. 200 yards DRT. I will load some for my 7 STW

Kado101,
I believe both (Barnes and Nosler BTs)are good choices depending on what you want to shoot. I loaded 150 barnes Tipped TSX ahead of some old H-870 for a mild, 3100fps load that shoots around 2" @300yds. I used this load to shoot several cow elk at ranges form 175-450yds all one shot kills. One bullet recovered looked just like advertised. They will usually exit. Last fall I blundered onto a 6x6 while walking in on the opener.....60yds. the Barnes passed through both shoulder blades, under the spine and exited. dropped him like a bad habbit. I wondered about the bullet opening on "lighter" targets. I shot an antelope @ 475yds, double lung shot. Got a 1.5" exit hole. The buck walked and dropped about 3-4 seconds after the shot. I'v eshot more game with the Noslers but happier with what I see from teh barnes bullets. I had one 160 Nosler Accubond go to pieces on the front leg of a mule deer! Go Figure. I got the deer, bullet never entered the body cavity, but leg was shattered from the "arm" up through the shoulderblade, no exit, just fragments. A dozen other Nosler bullets have worked just fine.
I like the Barnes so I don't have to worry about bullets breaking up at close range.

I really like the Barnes TSX. Shot a big Kansas buck last year with a 168 gr TSX from a 300 WSM Recovered the bullet, it weighed 167.5 gr. Perfect mushroom. 200 yards DRT. I will load some for my 7 STW

I have been working with the 145 LRX, and RL25. Well, long story short, I have a load that is very consistent, accurate, and **** fast. It shoots groups at 200 that look like 100 yard groups. I shot that load today in some A Square brass, that I had put away for hunting season that I almost forgot about. Man that is nice stuff. ( rare but good ). Needless to say, that IS the load that I am using in Maryland, three weeks from today!!! The amazing thing is that I hardly get any fouling in my barrels. I was expecting a lot of copper clean up, and was OK with that, but hardly anything. Cleans very quickly.
What I have noticed about the barnes bullets, is that the barrel shoots better after about three to four rounds, from a clean barrel. Then the next group will always " tighten right up". I shot a .540 group last weekend, but only after a fouler, then the first group. The first group wasn't bad, but the second group was awesome, last weekend, and today. That works fine for me, as I always check my zero the day before, and I won't clean it after I check zero. Actually, that is really nothing new. Most of my other guns using other bullets do the same, but these groups really tighten up.
My average speed with the federal brass was 3413. Today, the A Square brass gave a average of 3440. This load is rockin, and accurate. I can't wait!!!!

Scope issue? I went to the range with my new scope today mounted in some Leupold rings. I tightened it down, no torque wrench and first shot 3" low at 25 yds. Rather than shoot 3, I adjusted the elevation and shot 2 more at 100 yds, same hole 1/2" now right of bullseye. So the scope thus far adjusts ok. I moved the target to 200, and shot 5 shots, about 1" right and 4" high, no adjustments. Looking at the scope after, it looks like it may have slipped back a 1/2" towards me. I am going to loosen it and try to determine if it looks like it moved. What is your guess?

7Stw. I like your results with the 145 lrx bullets and was wondering what you thought of that bullet and load on whitetail out to say 600-900 yards or would say the 168grn be better at those distances ? I'm a speed freek and like flat trajectory but not sure if 145grn is enough at those longer distances. What do you think ? Yes I'm speaking of a
7mm Stw.

7Stw. I like your results with the 145 lrx bullets and was wondering what you thought of that bullet and load on whitetail out to say 600-900 yards or would say the 168grn be better at those distances ? I'm a speed freek and like flat trajectory but not sure if 145grn is enough at those longer distances. What do you think ? Yes I'm speaking of a
7mm Stw.
I would go with the 168 grn :D
Ballistic Coefficient 0.486 vs 0.694

Where would I start with RL-25. I have been using 82grs. of RL-22 with a 140gr. bullet with great results(case life is 2 maybe three firings but I don't care). I had my 7mmSTW built in 1990 by H-S Precision but the barrel is showing signs that it might want to retire like me. I have some RL-25 so I am game to try it.
Thanks,Brush

PS: I didn't buy a race horse to pull a plow

Recent Posts