7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Finally got mine tuned in after the rechamber. Went back to what she liked originally and worked the 162gr A-Max. The .625 BC didn't hurt me. Anyhow, she came in right at max and started showing pressure at .5 above so we backed off to .5 grain under and groups came in. (76.5 of IMR 7828 at 3.635 OAL with the Federal 215M) She preferred 50/20/50 in/lbs on the action screws best. Leaving the third screw out on the M70 didn't do as well as 20in/lbs on the center screw. The entire action is bedded and it likes a tight hold. The real surprise was on brass prep. Bumping the shoulder .001 yielded 2" groups at 250 and full sizing with some cam over tightened her to .55 at 250. I replicated this on back to back days this weekend so I know it's for real.

Go figure. The more I shoot, the more I realize these guns are all different and you just can't tell what they want. This is why I always refer to my guns as "she".......

DSC00698.jpg

Game over. Ready for bear and deer.

this is my baby 7mmstw 29inch 1-9 broughton barrel heavy palm taper , Bat action , manners mcs-t4a , williams bottom metal , 5.5 x22 56mm nightforce scope . got 1 deer at 560 yards with it only made it 10 foot and lost the front shoulder . i shoot 162 a-max at 3092 fps 77.4 gn of h1000 nosler brass i got it tight neck of .309 . i like to work on a little better load then what i am using fps veys by about 15 fps but groups good it able to shoot better then i can i put 4 out of 5 in the same hole at 200 yards. i also playing with wincheser brass but it shoots about the same

Attachments

• 7mm stw 001.jpg
    7mm stw 001.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Where would I start with RL-25. I have been using 82grs. of RL-22 with a 140gr. bullet with great results(case life is 2 maybe three firings but I don't care). I had my 7mmSTW built in 1990 by H-S Precision but the barrel is showing signs that it might want to retire like me. I have some RL-25 so I am game to try it.
Thanks,Brush

PS: I didn't buy a race horse to pull a plow

Brush4646, to be clear on my first reply, the load with 82-RL22-140 is quite stiff, and I would avoid it like the plague. NOW, you can more then likely use that amount of RL25, but definitely not 22. That was my intention on my reply, by saying that I was using 25, and not to be confused with that amount of 22.
Just a clarification.
All that being said, using 22' you are easily over 65000 psi, probably knocking on 70'000's door. Reloder 22 is a great powder in this round, but I don't recommend much over 79-80 grains, with a 140 bullet. It's just a little too close to the edge.

Finally got mine tuned in after the rechamber. Went back to what she liked originally and worked the 162gr A-Max. The .625 BC didn't hurt me. Anyhow, she came in right at max and started showing pressure at .5 above so we backed off to .5 grain under and groups came in. (76.5 of IMR 7828 at 3.635 OAL with the Federal 215M) She preferred 50/20/50 in/lbs on the action screws best. Leaving the third screw out on the M70 didn't do as well as 20in/lbs on the center screw. The entire action is bedded and it likes a tight hold. The real surprise was on brass prep. Bumping the shoulder .001 yielded 2" groups at 250 and full sizing with some cam over tightened her to .55 at 250. I replicated this on back to back days this weekend so I know it's for real.

Go figure. The more I shoot, the more I realize these guns are all different and you just can't tell what they want. This is why I always refer to my guns as "she".......

DSC00698.jpg

Game over. Ready for bear and deer.

Lycan, that is a smokin' rig, and I REALLY like Winchester actions. In fact, my next build is going to be on one!!!( oops" I let the cat out of the bag).
The only thing I would like to throw out there, is that 7828 might not be your PRIME choice for the bullet you are shooting. With another type of powder, you can get LESS pressure, and the same or more velocity.
And I really do get the part about referring to your guns as " she". And yeah, they **** sure can be finicky, but I am Happy to say that I've got mine figured out. ( well, most of the time anyway). Just as a BTW, try some RL 25 in that rig, and some 215 GM primers. You'll like it, and your gun will Love it!!!! Take care my friend, and good luck hunting!!!!!!

Lycan, that is a smokin' rig, and I REALLY like Winchester actions. In fact, my next build is going to be on one!!!( oops" I let the cat out of the bag).
The only thing I would like to throw out there, is that 7828 might not be your PRIME choice for the bullet you are shooting. With another type of powder, you can get LESS pressure, and the same or more velocity.
And I really do get the part about referring to your guns as " she". And yeah, they **** sure can be finicky, but I am Happy to say that I've got mine figured out. ( well, most of the time anyway). Just as a BTW, try some RL 25 in that rig, and some 215 GM primers. You'll like it, and your gun will Love it!!!! Take care my friend, and good luck hunting!!!!!!

I thought about it, but wasn't sure I could get RL25 to speed with only 24.5 inches of barrel. She's singing 3200 right now.

this is my baby 7mmstw 29inch 1-9 broughton barrel heavy palm taper , Bat action , manners mcs-t4a , williams bottom metal , 5.5 x22 56mm nightforce scope . got 1 deer at 560 yards with it only made it 10 foot and lost the front shoulder . i shoot 162 a-max at 3092 fps 77.4 gn of h1000 nosler brass i got it tight neck of .309 . i like to work on a little better load then what i am using fps veys by about 15 fps but groups good it able to shoot better then i can i put 4 out of 5 in the same hole at 200 yards. i also playing with wincheser brass but it shoots about the same
Yamadog, that thing looks ferocious. And apparently it shoots that way too. Very nice build, and excellent choice of components. If you are wanting to continue with the 160 class bullets, the H1000 is a good choice. Reloder 25 is a good choice as well. I have personally had very good luck with Winchester brass, but that is getting rare now. Remington brass is getting a little available. Maybe someday, Lapua, or Norma will produce some good brass choices for us. I haven't tried Nosler. I have heard mixed reviews so far.
Anyway, congrats on the rig, and Welcome to the Brotherhood!!!

I thought about it, but wasn't sure I could get RL25 to speed with only 24.5 inches of barrel. She's singing 3200 right now.

Yup, your right, and I wasn't aware of that. You might have mentioned that, I just assumed 26 inches. Maybe H1000, but that may be too slow also. My uncle uses it in his 300 win mag, with 24 inch barrel, and gets good velocity. But the old saying goes, if if ain't broke, don't fix it. Again, nice rig, love them Winchester actions.

Yup, your right, and I wasn't aware of that. You might have mentioned that, I just assumed 26 inches. Maybe H1000, but that may be too slow also. My uncle uses it in his 300 win mag, with 24 inch barrel, and gets good velocity. But the old saying goes, if if ain't broke, don't fix it. Again, nice rig, love them Winchester actions.

Tried H1000, but never got the heat up. I liked filling the case up, though. It actually liked RL22, but was never quite as tight as 7828. Still, I could burn a quarter of the barrel life out chasing a load better than the one I have so I think I'll work up some range cards for this season.

I've been using the Android Strelock app on my Nook for ballistics and it even plots holdover for most reticals. It's been perfect out to 600 yards so far.

Tried H1000, but never got the heat up. I liked filling the case up, though. It actually liked RL22, but was never quite as tight as 7828. Still, I could burn a quarter of the barrel life out chasing a load better than the one I have so I think I'll work up some range cards for this season.

I've been using the Android Strelock app on my Nook for ballistics and it even plots holdover for most reticals. It's been perfect out to 600 yards so far.

Lycan, you are absolutely right. Don't shoot the barrel out to get it to shoot better, if it is shooting great already. ( been there, done that) . All things considered, the 7828 fits your needs, just about perfect. Again, if it aint broke, don't fix it.
Speaking of range cards, I have to do the same for a load that I have been working on that shoots spades, and pretty **** quick too. Some of the " bros" set me up with ballistics, from several different sources, but they all seem to coincide. Take care, and enjoy, lifes a good ride, if your in the right seat!!!!!!!!:D

Welcome fellow 7mm Shooting Times Westerner shooters!gun)

This thread is for those of us who own and shoot a 7mm STW
this is where we can post our gun specs, talking about different load data, where to find our hard to come by brass, and just any other general 7mm STW knowledge

If it is your first post in this thread, lets start out by stating the specs of your 7mm STW(custom made rifles - describe all components), list scopes and other accessories on the rifle, and how long you have been with this caliber. Pictures of your setup would also be welcome

I hope this thread becomes a useful tool of information for everyone,

Enjoy,
-Matt

hey guys i live in n.c. my stw is a stainless fluted sendero trying to find the right combination would like to shoot 140's but best combo so far is nosler 150's & h1000 trying h4831 with 140 bt's any suggestions appreciated don't mind shooting heavier bullets but was trying to get 400 yds for now with out alot of hold over

hey guys i live in n.c. my stw is a stainless fluted sendero trying to find the right combination would like to shoot 140's but best combo so far is nosler 150's & h1000 trying h4831 with 140 bt's any suggestions appreciated don't mind shooting heavier bullets but was trying to get 400 yds for now with out alot of hold over

Jaxx, you are in good company here. One of our esteemed " bros" lives in your state. The STW is about as perfect as a over bore cartridge can be, but if you feed it right, it's rewards are many, and it will flat out amaze you, and if you aren't careful, you may even get a goosebump or two.
I am a " multiple- STW " rifle owner, and they all have there personalities. That rifle you have will more than likely shoot very well with not much effort. If you look back a few pages in this thread, you will find several formulas from " the bros" , that will give you a starting point. Favored powders are , RL22, 25, H1000, 7828. preferred primers are fed 215, or 215 GM, or win WLRM. Typically, the 215 will get you there with no problem.
My personal load that has always been my go to load is,
79.3-RL22-140bt, AB, TSX, TTSX with 215gm @ 3.688 OAL.
This load is my standard load, and works well in all of them. Of recent, I have been using RL 25' and a 145 Barnes LRX . That formula uses 82.0 - rl25- 145 LRX @ 3.688, using A Square brass, and velocity ave is 3440. Very accurate and consistent.
Visit this site frequently, and other combos will show up, but these are just mine.
Welcome to the Brotherhood!!! Don't be afraid to ask a question or two. Someone here will be glad to help.

4831 wont do what your wanting it to do Bro The H-1000 is one of my favorites in this Cal and RL 25 is awesome ......Try either one of those with the Barnes 140's and I think you will like the results ......Where are you in Nc?