7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

hello all, I'm a new member who now has a reason to join I guess. I am waiting to pick up my never fired Winchester model 70 7mm STW that I purchased for $750 :) It's one of the few that winchester made I believe in 88' and or 89', If im wrong let me know, anyways I guide blacktail and bear hunts up in northern ca every year and have always shot a .270. So can somebody tell me what am I in store for with my new toy, and whats a good but under $1000.00 scope I can put on this beast? Do I Port it or Magna brake it and or nothing?. The trigger has already been done and it is really nice. What can do to this thing to make it even better?

hello all, I'm a new member who now has a reason to join I guess. I am waiting to pick up my never fired Winchester model 70 7mm STW that I purchased for $750 :) It's one of the few that winchester made I believe in 88' and or 89', If im wrong let me know, anyways I guide blacktail and bear hunts up in northern ca every year and have always shot a .270. So can somebody tell me what am I in store for with my new toy, and whats a good but under $1000.00 scope I can put on this beast? Do I Port it or Magna brake it and or nothing?. The trigger has already been done and it is really nice. What can do to this thing to make it even better?

Welcome to the brotherhood and congrats on the new Winchester model 70 7mm STW. Fellow brother "7STW" I know has a wealth of "hands on experience" and info on Winchesters so he is the person to ask and I'm sure he will give some here.

For recommending a $1,000.00 scope I have Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle scopes on each of my twin Remington 700 Sendero 7mm STWs. The set-up I use on each of them is a 20 MOA EGW for the Picatinny rail and low Burris 30mm Tactical Rings. They seem to hold pretty well with the recoil and with the 20 MOA rail I can dial it out to over 1,400 yards if I want. I absolutely love my Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle scopes!

Below are a few pictures of my twin Remington 700 Sendero 7mm STW rifles with the set-up I mentioned above.

Attachments

• Twin Senderos 7mm STW_1.jpg
    Twin Senderos 7mm STW_1.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Twin Senderos 7mm STW_2.jpg
    Twin Senderos 7mm STW_2.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Twin Senderos 7mm STW_3.jpg
    Twin Senderos 7mm STW_3.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 11

Why port an stw? It doesn't really need it. If you can take 7rem or 300 win recoil without turning into a flinching idiot, you will be fine behind your 7stw winny. Is it a synthetic stock; if so it may need attention, such as throwing away/replacing. If it is wood you should be fine. I'd peruse the loads in the thread as most of us have just a wee bit of time "behind the wheel" with these rifles, but rl 22-25-33, or h1000-retumbo are the starter powders of choice unless you have a stash of 5010 laying around. As to scopes, I run Bushnell elite 4200 8-32x on mine; some are using leopold, vortex, nikon. All are good to great but YOU need to like it.
Have fun and treat it well,
the stw is a heck of a round

Dang, gamehawker, those look like my old stw (you didn't happen to buy one of those from Cabelas this spring, did you??). I loved that pipe and still wish I had it. I'm thinking in a year or two I'll build a lefty version of the sendero in 7stw.

First things first, you stole it, and that thing should be a shooter. I could be wrong, but I'm thinking the year was probably 1998-99. The " STW" was legitimized in 97 or so. It don't matter!!!! You have a jewel, and it won't let you down if you feed it right. Loading info is a plenty here on this site, and a lot of " bros " willing to help you out. I have a Winchester M70 custom Sharpshooter. This gun is a sweetheart. It handles great, carries well, and shoots like a dream.
As far as the scope goes, well, the sky is the limit, and everybody has their own preference as to power, and size. In this caliber, I like something in a variable, with a high power of about 16-18.
Before you put a brake on it, shoot it to see if you need it. Brakes are very loud, and are more annoying then the recoil.( IMHO ).
Other than that, just enjoy it. That rifle will bring you lots of satisfaction, and if you are not careful, it might even give you goosebumps once in a while. ( mine do, and have for about 15 years).
Welcome to the Brotherhood!!!!!!!

Welcome to the brotherhood DeltaHog, and congrats on the rifle you just stole. I'm betting you will soon find this to be one of your favorite places on the internet. Most of the guys here are far more experienced than me, but I thought I'd throw in my .02 anyway. I have only owned 2 7stw's, neither have a brake and the recoil has never bothered me. I know everyone is different and every rifle is different so you will soon find out about yours. I found my upper end is a 338 win mag with hot 250 gr loads in a Win M70. Tolerable but not enjoyable off the bench. My 9.2 lb Sako 7stw kicks a little harder than my Win M70 classic in 7mmRem mag, a little less than my 300 Win. Strangely, the felt recoil from my 8.2 lb 7stw seems noticeably milder, about that of a 7RM or less. I can only attribute it to stock design. It has a Bell & Carlson Alaskan with a Decellerator pad on it. If you ever decide to restock yours, you should consider a B&C. Personally I would never hunt a rifle with a brake, unless it was one of those that can be removed and capped. As far as scopes are concerned, I've always been a Leupold guy, and I'm currently using one of their 4.5x14x40 CDS models. But I am considering a Zeiss Conquest 4.5x14x44. You can get target turrets for it scribed to match your load & conditions. I also really like the Vortex scopes, but like all good tactical scopes, they are pretty heavy and because of my hunting style, I want to keep my newest stw as light as possible.

Again, welcome & congrats on the gun!

I'll be interested to follow this thread and see what others are up to. I had a 7 STW built a few years ago. Rem 700 action, custom recoil lug, MicMillan fiberglass stock, stainless 27" Lilja barrel, 1/10 twist. I've tried a number of bullets/loads. Best accruacy to date if from a load of R25 and Berger 168 VLDs.....1.5" @ 300yds. I've taken several antelpe, mule deer and elk and am very pleased with its performance as a hunting rifle. Favorite hunting bullet is probaly Barnes Tipped triple shock 150gr. ..though I haven't tried them beyond 500yds.

Recently stumbled across a guy selling a couple hundred pcs of once fired Federal 7stw brass so I bought 'em. Can anybody give me the lowdown on the Fed brass vs Rem or Win? Thanks

Recently stumbled across a guy selling a couple hundred pcs of once fired Federal 7stw brass so I bought 'em. Can anybody give me the lowdown on the Fed brass vs Rem or Win? Thanks

Bobs, I have shot all three brands, and my favorite is the OLD Winchester brass. I have a batch of federal nickel plated brass that is shooting very well. The pockets are a little softer than i like, but it has not changed, and I have four firings on them now, and are presently loaded for deer hunting. I actually weighed a sample of each brand tonite. The A Square brass is 253' fed brass was 252, and rem brass is 253 also. Win brass 251.5. They are each close, but the fed brass seems to be softer over all. You will get some decent life out of it if you don't over pressure it. Hope this helps, enjoy.