7mm SAUM Build Help

also fixing to build a saum.
the question I have is primers. What is most people running in primers.
magnum or standard. Any noticeable difference is ES or groups running one vs the other. My thought is going to start with stand primers. Typically when I go over 65 grains of powder I start looking toward more in the magnum primers but that not always the case.
thanks.

also fixing to build a saum.
the question I have is primers. What is most people running in primers.
magnum or standard. Any noticeable difference is ES or groups running one vs the other. My thought is going to start with stand primers. Typically when I go over 65 grains of powder I start looking toward more in the magnum primers but that not always the case.
thanks.
Either will work. I run standards.

I built a 20 inch 7 saum with a .195 freebore for the 180 vlds. They sit really well and could likely run then out to a .210 fb very well.

I've done very little tuning as I received it just before deer season and the 180 hybrid is doing 2800 and 1 inch at 300 yards with H1k and 210Ms.

Going to run a ladder with H1k and H4350 under the 150 grain bulldozer II's. Not the long range capability of the 180s but a great compromise for mid range and velocity.

Built on an An-Ti LA in an AG stock and CF barrel. With the bipod, ultra 7 and VX6 it weighs just under 9 pounds.

View attachment 326335
Who built your riffle if you dont mind sharing?

I am running a 24" 7SS, pushing a 184 Hyb over N565 @ 2868fps suppressed. Just shot it out to 1401 on Friday. Hits like a sledgehammer.

I have a shooting partner who runs a 24" 7SS with a 195 over Retumbo, and he is getting 2820fps with a warm load.

A similarly built 7SAUM should match those numbers.
Do you know if your friend tried any other powders besides retumbo and what velocities he saw compared to it? Im going to try the 195s in my long throated 7 saum for fun and see where they get velocity wise. Im planning on shooting rl26 and h1000 for testing.

No other powders.
Inhave tried RL23, H1000, and N565 in mine. H1000 was slowest velocity-wise, but stability is second to none.

I won't use RL26 in my rifles unless it is strictly a late season gun. Above 84°, with warm loads, the pressures spike badly. A safe load in the fall/winter/spring can become overpressure very quickly when temps rise.

Thanks again - great posts in here. Getting a lot of data points, appreciate it everyone.

I have two of those same barrel but for defiance prefits. They both shoot lights out with the 180's
Whats your COAL with this setup? Short action or XM?

They vary from 3.030" to 3.080". All of mine are long action's for the 180's. I have one short action that shoots the 168's. I just can not get the length I wanted with the short action so I went long action on all of them. I just put together another this evening by the way lol. You cost me another rifle with this thread lol.

tempImagewaaJCU.jpg

Put this one together for my daughter. She's going elk hunting with me next season.

They vary from 3.030" to 3.080". All of mine are long action's for the 180's. I have one short action that shoots the 168's. I just can not get the length I wanted with the short action so I went long action on all of them. I just put together another this evening by the way lol. You cost me another rifle with this thread lol.

View attachment 327035
Put this one together for my daughter. She's going elk hunting with me next season.
Let's see that Berger wall!!

View attachment 327035
Very Nice!! .... What barrel length did you go with on this build?

View attachment 327035
Haha - Looks like another great build!

So this is why I started the thread, and again appreciate everyone for dealing with my noob questions - from my reading I thought you needed a longer freebore to be able to seat the 180's long like that, I didnt realize you could load them that long with Proof's. I must have been misunderstanding previous posts while researching.

Thanks for the help!

Haha - Looks like another great build!

So this is why I started the thread, and again appreciate everyone for dealing with my noob questions - from my reading I thought you needed a longer freebore to be able to seat the 180's long like that, I didnt realize you could load them that long with Proof's. I must have been misunderstanding previous posts while researching.

Thanks for the help!
All of mine are in the 3.030" to 3.050" COAL range.