Help me out with a 7mm build.

86bowhunter

Building a new 7mm to have as a travel gun. The first trip for this particular build will an alaskan moose hunt.

So already decided on:
1)7mm cal
2) proof barrel likely 24" barrel possibly 26" if the stars align.
3) shooting 180gr or 195gr bergers

The question is.... which cartridge?

I went in this originally intending on a 28 Nosler.

Then I thought about what a 7-300PRC would be like. But so far only managed to find one article on one by sniper hide.
I believe the 7LRM is a very close relative to what a 7-300PRC would be.

I'm a fan of the 7mm over the 30cals and I already have 1000 7mm bergers on the shelf. But! Nothing's ever set in stone. Might say screw it and do a 300win.

Anybody out there shooting the heavy 7mm bullets I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Compared to others on here I guess I am still in the stone age but I took a 28 to Africa with 175 nosler partitions and it was a real killer. Up close or far away. A nosler partition. What is to say? Always work. Now if you want to shoot real far I do not have any experience with them but others have liked the 180 eldm.

7mm Sherman Max up to 3000' with 195 and mid action
28 Sherman Magnum 3150' with 195 with Long action
7 Sherman Short 2900' 195 with short action
shermanwildcatcartridges.com
head stamped brass, dies and reamers

Building a new 7mm to have as a travel gun. The first trip for this particular build will an alaskan moose hunt.

So already decided on:
1)7mm cal
2) proof barrel likely 24" barrel possibly 26" if the stars align.
3) shooting 180gr or 195gr bergers

The question is.... which cartridge?

I went in this originally intending on a 28 Nosler.

Then I thought about what a 7-300PRC would be like. But so far only managed to find one article on one by sniper hide.
I believe the 7LRM is a very close relative to what a 7-300PRC would be.

I'm a fan of the 7mm over the 30cals and I already have 1000 7mm bergers on the shelf. But! Nothing's ever set in stone. Might say screw it and do a 300win.

Anybody out there shooting the heavy 7mm bullets I'd like to hear your thoughts.
I've shot the 195's and 180 ELDM's in a 28 nos (terrible barrel life), and a 7-300 wsm that replaced the 28.
Both bullets are incredibly accurate but I would personally pick a better bullet for hunting, especially moose..
If you're planning on LR hunting big animals I'd recommend a 30 Cal.
I'm sending the 200 grain Edge TLR at 3050 in my 300 PRC.

I have a 7 Dakota and am very happy with it. Mine has an 8.25 twist and I had it chambered for the 175 nosler ABLR's and have been playing around with other bullets. I wish I had a little faster twist to shoot the 177gr Hammers though.
There are a lot of great cartridges in the same ballpark as the 7 Dakota and when I put a new barrel on it will be chambered in one of the similar cartridges depending mostly on brass availability.

I've shot the 195's and 180 ELDM's in a 28 nos (terrible barrel life), and a 7-300 wsm that replaced the 28.
Both bullets are incredibly accurate but I would personally pick a better bullet for hunting, especially moose..
If you're planning on LR hunting big animals I'd recommend a 30 Cal.
I'm sending the 200 grain Edge TLR at 3050 in my 300 PRC.
Thanks for the reply.
The barrel life and brass options or rather the lack of the two are really a downside to the 28. But! That's what you get when have to burn that much powder.
The 7-300PRC came to mind wondering if it would be a more efficient cartridge.

What are your requirements?

I have a .284 Shehane, and a 7 SAUM. Not unhappy with either.
My requirements are pretty fluid. I basically want to find a 7mm cartridge that pushes a 180 or 195gr bullet out a 24" barrel in the most efficient way possible. Which I know is pretty vague.

I guess if I had to describe it. 28 nosler results without being confined to nosler brass and terrible barrel life.... for example "if" as the snipers hidereview suggests. Say a 7-300PRC gave results similar to a 28nos. But burned a little less powder and or gave a few more rounds on the barrel. Then the 7-300 would be my pic.

If that makes sense.

I did consider a 7 SAUM.

The highest velocity with effiency is the 7 max at 2900+ with a 24" barrel. A 28 nosler wouldnt do a lot better at that length and barrel life would be half!
The 7ss would be next and most efficient but at 2850-2900' with a 24"
This with 195 grain Berger

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.