Help me out with a 7mm build.

The belted mags are not the most efficient ;)

I have a 7 SAUM 24" shooting 180 ELD M at 2900fps with 60-61 grs of H1000. Pretty efficient, and a short action which is more efficient. The 7 SS if you want to wildcat is more efficient, but extra upfront costs.
There are trade offs. No they are not as efficient. But it takes fuel to make horsepower:)

I would just do the sherman 7mm max if you have a long action if a short I would do a sherman ss. He has head stamped brass which is awesome brass.

yes, but you might as well go with the 28 Nosler then which is not belted and goes way faster!
The practical is not as fast as the 28. But the practical uses quite a bit less powder and gives up not very much in speed. I am building one but not finished yet. Foster says about 50fps less than the rum. True? I have no way to prove it yet. As far as the belt? Been around since 1912 so I am not concerned about it.

The practical is not as fast as the 28. But the practical uses quite a bit less powder and gives up not very much in speed. I am building one but not finished yet. Foster says about 50fps less than the rum. True? I have no way to prove it yet. As far as the belt? Been around since 1912 so I am not concerned about it.
On a video on his site he is shooting feral goats at well over a thousand. So I guess he is not concerned about the belt either:)

Could just do a 7 SAUM IN 22" barrel or a 7mag in 22".... possibilities are endless.
Your barrel length is getting shorter. 70 grains of powder and a 7mm bore isn't the best choice for that. 70 grains of powder and a 338 bore would be a better choice. A 225gr or 250gr 338 bullet should kill a Moose.

Speaking about belted cases. I took his idea and built a 6.5 on the same design. I am getting 3300 with a 140 with a 26 with 80 grains. The unbelted nosler is the same length. But of course fatter. It takes 88 to 90 of the same powder to get 3250. The 6.5x300 wea takes 90 to get 3300. So I will just stay with my old obsolete belted case. I have nothing against the short fats like you like. Just depends on what you want. No right or wrong.

Your barrel length is getting shorter. 70 grains of powder and a 7mm bore isn't the best choice for that. 70 grains of powder and a 338 bore would be a better choice. A 225gr or 250gr 338 bullet should kill a Moose.
Its was more in jest than anything. I've already settled on a 24" barrel for this particular build.

Its was more in jest than anything. I've already settled on a 24" barrel for this particular build.
If you are committed to a 7mm, would like something a little different, prefer a non belted case, and want to use a long action, there is a good choice that hasn't been mentioned. A 7mm Blaser has about the same capacity as a 7mm Rem Mag and will feed and extract flawlessly. Brass is expensive but it is readily available.

Speaking about belted cases. I took his idea and built a 6.5 on the same design. I am getting 3300 with a 140 with a 26 with 80 grains. The unbelted nosler is the same length. But of course fatter. It takes 88 to 90 of the same powder to get 3250. The 6.5x300 wea takes 90 to get 3300. So I will just stay with my old obsolete belted case. I have nothing against the short fats like you like. Just depends on what you want. No right or wrong.

I feel the belt no belt casing debate is really a thing of the past. That came from the days when we didn't have as good equipment, materials and technology that we have today.

The belted cartridges are no good notion. Came from the same groups that said you needed to shoot a 300 weatherby or 338 to kill deer with because they shot deer with a 30-06 and lost them... Bullets, cartridge, optics and gun construction are so much better today.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts