Help me out with a 7mm build.

Geeez! 7xEvers,Dakotas, Mikotas, Shehanes, Freehands, Rum's, Bum's, Sum's, Mus's and Bus's ad infinitum! Make life simple when you can dude...go with the freaking Remington 7mm Magnum. Thousands and thousands have and are very glad they did! End of story. Yeah and don't even start with the "OH NO! It's a BELTED MAGNUM! OH NO!"

Last edited:
I think you should exercise your option to change your mind and build it for the finest hunting cartridge on planet earth, a 308 Norma Mag.

Geeez! 7xEvers,Dakotas, Mikotas, Shehanes, Freehands, Rum's, Bum's, Sum's, Mus's and Bus's ad infinitum! Make life simple when you can dude...go with the freaking Remington 7mm Magnum. Thousands and thousands have and are very glad they did! End of story. Yeah and don't even start with the "OH NO! It's a BELTED MAGNUM! OH NO!"

I've had 7mags... there's alot of I just want to do something different in this build.

Building a new 7mm to have as a travel gun. The first trip for this particular build will an alaskan moose hunt.

So already decided on:
1)7mm cal
2) proof barrel likely 24" barrel possibly 26" if the stars align.
3) shooting 180gr or 195gr bergers

The question is.... which cartridge?

I went in this originally intending on a 28 Nosler.

Then I thought about what a 7-300PRC would be like. But so far only managed to find one article on one by sniper hide.
I believe the 7LRM is a very close relative to what a 7-300PRC would be.

I'm a fan of the 7mm over the 30cals and I already have 1000 7mm bergers on the shelf. But! Nothing's ever set in stone. Might say screw it and do a 300win.

Anybody out there shooting the heavy 7mm bullets I'd like to hear your thoughts.
I built a 7rem mag, 28" proof, 180bergers over h1000 and accuracy at 3055fps
197smk at 2920fps over retumbo.
I'd do a shorter more efficient case if I did it again. I sure wouldn't go bigger but that's me

I built a 7rem mag, 28" proof, 180bergers over h1000 and accuracy at 3055fps
197smk at 2920fps over retumbo.
I'd do a shorter more efficient case if I did it again. I sure wouldn't go bigger but that's me
My last 7mag was 29" finished, using h1000 behind the 180 bergers and loved it. It just wasn't practical to carry around and hunt with.

I know it's not what the cool kids are shooting but at 24 inches and 180s I'd go with a 7RM. I don't feel like the 195s offer enough extra unless you can push em a little faster, the 180 is a nasty booger. If you want to venture off the path any of the short mags would do great at 24 inches with a velocity edge to the Sherman.

Any of them should easily hit the 2850-2950 range which is more then enough to do work.

I'm working on a mid-light weight 30 nosler right now and it's a hammer with 215s as well as the 200 Accubond. I'm starting some load work in the next couple of weeks with the 230s to help with the short range performance.

My next will be a short action running a wyatts box with plans of shaving weight into the just under 6 range. I'm thinking a 7-300wsm or Sherman at 22 inches.

Building a new 7mm to have as a travel gun. The first trip for this particular build will an alaskan moose hunt.

So already decided on:
1)7mm cal
2) proof barrel likely 24" barrel possibly 26" if the stars align.
3) shooting 180gr or 195gr bergers

The question is.... which cartridge?

I went in this originally intending on a 28 Nosler.

Then I thought about what a 7-300PRC would be like. But so far only managed to find one article on one by sniper hide.
I believe the 7LRM is a very close relative to what a 7-300PRC would be.

I'm a fan of the 7mm over the 30cals and I already have 1000 7mm bergers on the shelf. But! Nothing's ever set in stone. Might say screw it and do a 300win.

Anybody out there shooting the heavy 7mm bullets I'd like to hear your thoughts.
Another option is the 7mm practical. Uses 300 win mag brass. Easy and cheap. Nathan Foster from new zeeland dreamed it up. ballisticstudies.com or just google 7mm practical. He says 1200 rounds before it starts to go. Some have made it to 2000

Another option is the 7mm practical. Uses 300 win mag brass. Easy and cheap. Nathan Foster from new zeeland dreamed it up. ballisticstudies.com or just google 7mm practical. He says 1200 rounds before it starts to go. Some have made it to 2000
I'll do some research on that. I considered 7-300win simply because of brass options.

7x300 win mag was my choice. Mostly of performance and because I had tons of ADG brass and an extra set of competition 300 win dies. It's a hammer with 180 hybrids and was super easy to tune a load.

The belted mags are not the most efficient ;)

I have a 7 SAUM 24" shooting 180 ELD M at 2900fps with 62-62.5* grs of H1000. Pretty efficient, and a short action which is more efficient. The 7 SS if you want to wildcat is more efficient, but extra upfront costs.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.