Help me out with a 7mm build.

I feel the belt no belt casing debate is really a thing of the past. That came from the days when we didn't have as good equipment, materials and technology that we have today.

The belted cartridges are no good notion. Came from the same groups that said you needed to shoot a 300 weatherby or 338 to kill deer with because they shot deer with a 30-06 and lost them... Bullets, cartridge, optics and gun construction are so much better today.
The belted case was needed for the old h&h cases. In the 50,s and 60,s what were cartridges developed from? H&H cases. And people associated belted cases with magnums. Now is it needed? Absolutely not.458 win and lott besides the original H&H,s are about it. But many of our cartridges were standardized that way so we still have them. The only cases that have the belt which are a pain are the big weatherbys. Powder column starts below the belt. Pressure them up and the belt flares out and can be a problem. I will say this. I would rather have a belted case than a rebated case. Bolt has more to grab in the box. Easier to make feed. But that is just a point and not a real problem. Best of all is the PRC cases in the big ones. Same head and body size. Now that others are making brass besides Hornady they should be very good. As far as what you said about the belted cases and guys needing a 300 weatherby to shoot deer? I don,t think the gun had anything to do with that. Called a bad shooter.

On a video on his site he is shooting feral goats at well over a thousand. So I guess he is not concerned about the belt either

Of course not.

You see, when the words "belted magnum" are heard, or seen, there is an automatic response..like a prerecorded message that says "belted magnums are bad....warning....belted magnums are bad." Kinda the same thing as "..has been shown to cause reproductive issues and cancer in the State of California.

Of course not.

You see, when the words "belted magnum" are heard, or seen, there is an automatic response..like a prerecorded message that says "belted magnums are bad....warning....belted magnums are bad." Kinda the same thing as "..has been shown to cause reproductive issues and cancer in the State of California.
So true. Emotion without brain power.

Anybody ever use quickloads? I was thinking about buying it to see if I could build a profile for a 7-300PRC and get an idea on what it'll put out. But I've never used it or know anyone that has.

Anybody ever use quickloads? I was thinking about buying it to see if I could build a profile for a 7-300PRC and get an idea on what it'll put out. But I've never used it or know anyone that has.
I have never used quickloads but the prc is very close in performance to the 300 weatherby and the speeds are very close. So being a little shorter and thicker it should be right there with the stw and a touch behind the 28

When you said "travel gun" to me that says availability of ammo in case something gets lost in travel. With that restriction I'd go with the 7RM. I used to have a 7WSM match rifle and a 7RM hunting rifle and there wasn't much difference, same with the 7-300 and 7SAUM that guys I shot with had.

The 28 Nosler and some of the others are a step up in power, but a step down from the 7RM in availability.

My 7WSM match rifle needs a new barrel. Great action, stock, and trigger, but I was going to put a proof on it and have it chambered in 7RM because I miss having one for hunting.

I have never used quickloads but the prc is very close in performance to the 300 weatherby and the speeds are very close. So being a little shorter and thicker it should be right there with the stw and a touch behind the 28
I wanted to try and find away to compare a few calibers to see which would be optimized the most in a 24" barrel... putting in more work than it should be but that's what makes it fun.

When you said "travel gun" to me that says availability of ammo in case something gets lost in travel. With that restriction I'd go with the 7RM. I used to have a 7WSM match rifle and a 7RM hunting rifle and there wasn't much difference, same with the 7-300 and 7SAUM that guys I shot with had.

The 28 Nosler and some of the others are a step up in power, but a step down from the 7RM in availability.

My 7WSM match rifle needs a new barrel. Great action, stock, and trigger, but I was going to put a proof on it and have it chambered in 7RM because I miss having one for hunting.
I certain took that into consideration when considering caliber. But hopefully other precautions will reduce the risk of ending up with no ammo somewhere. I drive to most places so it's not a risk that will arise often. But I completely get what you're saying. It would be terrible to fly somewhere and not have ammo when you get there.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.