Help with a 7mm caliber build

Why do you recommend this list but say not to build a 7mm STW?

You're not the only one asking that question... I would also love to see LEGIT reasons as to why one could justify all the other calibers on that list, but not include the 7mm STW...You know, the Big 7 that actually started it all, and still holds its own even against the modern calibers.

If u are going to invest the time and money into a gun to specifically shoot t he largest bullets in that caliber then why go with a middle of the road cartridge. Thats how i look at it. Why would u want to limit yourself. Now if u have a bunch of brass for that calibee then i can understand. But if ur looking for velocity witch im guessing the op is id hes looking at some of the cartridges mentioned then go with the big one.

If u are going to invest the time and money into a gun to specifically shoot t he largest bullets in that caliber then why go with a middle of the road cartridge. Thats how i look at it. Why would u want to limit yourself. Now if u have a bunch of brass for that calibee then i can understand. But if ur looking for velocity witch im guessing the op is id hes looking at some of the cartridges mentioned then go with the big one.

You do realize that the 7-300 WinMag is smaller in case capacity than the STW, Nosler, and RUM...

So, what makes the 7mm STW a "middle of the road" caliber? I would say in the spectrum of 7mm chamberings available, the .280 AI, 7mmRM, and 7-300WM would actually be the "middle of the road" calibers, when judging by case capacity.

The 28 nosler and 7 rum are faster cartridges then the stw and if i were going to build a gun for the 195 bullets then u might as well push them as far as u can. Why use a slower cartridge when there are better ones that fit in the same receiver. The 7 stw is just a 7 mag pumped up a little bit. So why not take every advantage u have and use the 28 nosler or rum.

Through the chrono with the 28 nosler is getting 3110 on average with the 195 bullets. I havnt seen the 7 rum with 195 grainers but with 180 bullets we were getting 3150 mv and the 7 stw was 3035 on average and my 7 mag with a 28 inch barrel was 3015 . The 28 nosler 7 rum and stw were with 26 inch barrels. All loads were done with retumbo or h100..

The 28 nosler and 7 rum are faster cartridges then the stw and if i were going to build a gun for the 195 bullets then u might as well push them as far as u can. Why use a slower cartridge when there are better ones that fit in the same receiver. The 7 stw is just a 7 mag pumped up a little bit. So why not take every advantage u have and use the 28 nosler or rum.

Every cartridge is nothing but a slower, or more pumped-up version of something else...They have all derived from another case...That's how wildcatting works. 7mm TCU, 7mmBR, 7mm-08, .284, .280 Rem, 7mmRM, 7-300WM, 7mm STW, 28 Nosler, 7RUM, 7mm Allen, etc...

harleybug, the last time out my 5 shot string was 2932 fps ( 19 fps x variation) with my 7stw and Berger 195's. That load is 2 grains down from the top safe load I have loaded; even that load was showing zero brass distress and would have been over 3,000 fps. I just don't run my rifles hard so I'll eat the 80-100 fps and settle where I'm at for now. Who knows, I may break out the rl50 and get another 100 fps at the same pressure. Lord knows I have plenty of case capacity... The reason I've been using rl33 is I have 10 pounds of it and I wasn't burning much.
I actually bought a couple of pounds of rl26 for the rifle but I'll likely use that powder in my 300win. rl26 is bit too dense and fast for the 7stw with heavies.

I'll be taking the rifle as far out as I can tomorrow for some long distance testing; I've got a few spots west of here that I can shoot 1/4 mile when it's windy and past 1,000 yards if it's not too bad. Who knows, I may take my 7rum out too with 180 sierra's pushed by retumbo and see which one eats the other's dust.

The difference in one barrel to another can show that much difference in velocities. Berger's manual shows the STW and the RUM running 'neck to neck'. (this is my rifle, this is my gun, this one's for shootin', this ones for fun!)

harleybug, the last time out my 5 shot string was 2932 fps ( 19 fps x variation) with my 7stw and Berger 195's. That load is 2 grains down from the top safe load I have loaded; even that load was showing zero brass distress and would have been over 3,000 fps. I just don't run my rifles hard so I'll eat the 80-100 fps and settle where I'm at for now. Who knows, I may break out the rl50 and get another 100 fps at the same pressure. Lord knows I have plenty of case capacity... The reason I've been using rl33 is I have 10 pounds of it and I wasn't burning much.
I actually bought a couple of pounds of rl26 for the rifle but I'll likely use that powder in my 300win. rl26 is bit too dense and fast for the 7stw with heavies.

I'll be taking the rifle as far out as I can tomorrow for some long distance testing; I've got a few spots west of here that I can shoot 1/4 mile when it's windy and past 1,000 yards if it's not too bad. Who knows, I may take my 7rum out too with 180 sierra's pushed by retumbo and see which one eats the other's dust.

Sounds like an awsome day out shooting. Ive never tried rl 33 but my 7 mag and stw love the retumbo and h1000. I got lucky and got 16 pounds of retumbo from a freind for 300 bucks so most of my loads for a while will be with retumbo. I am curious to see how the 195 bullets shoot from my 7 mag. I have a great load for the 180s. But i did get some 195 so ill have to try them out. Wont be rocketing down range but maybe very accurate. My 7 mag is throated for the 180 bullets so hopefully that wont affect the 195.

Well, I got the rifle out to 555 yards today; I couldn't go any further without having a full value wind. I dialed 6.5" vertical into the scope and went to work.

The first two groups were uninteresting... two close and one out (two inside three inches and one diving out 6 to 8")... then I saw I was shooting through some grass near the target. I had to move the target up the hill a good bit to clear the grass.

I then fired another two groups using the truck hood with sandbags for a rest; both were sub moa. One was rather triangular between 5 and 6". I finally got everyone to stop moving in the truck (two kids, dog, and wife) and tossed a 4 shot group with a 2.15" vertical component and a 5" horizontal component; I guess the gusty wind still got me a bit.

Decisions Decisions, just when you think you get settled with a caliber someone dashes it or someone suggest something else. Lol .

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts