7mm SAUM Build

Southtexas36

Here's my latest addition to the lineup, a Snowy Mountain Rifles 7mm SAUM. Here's the particulars:
McMillan Game Warden in Desert Ambush
Defiance Anti SA
Proof 22-in Sendero Contour
SMR Titanium Brake
SMR Titanium Action Screws
SMR Al Bottom Metal
Triggertech Special
Hawkins Precision Long Range Hybrid Rings
Nightforce NX8 2.5-20 F1 MOAR

As part of the package, and with delivery coming during hunting season, I had load development done and currently running 175 gr Berger Elite Hunters at 2858. I do plan on working up my own loads with either 160 gr Accubonds or 168 gr LRAB, with the barrel speeding up and the lighter grain bullets, it may end up getting over 2900 which I'll be completely happy with on a SA with a 22 in barrel.

After hunting with this gun all of last week, and taking 2 fully mature S. TX bucks, I'm completely impressed and satisfied with the overall performance of the gun. This build started with a goal of getting magnum performance on a short compact platform, it's done that and it can compare to the size and weight of my 7mm-08.

Although I'm an Accubond fan, the bullet performance on two fully mature bucks taken at around 200 yds was impressive, absolutely no complaints in that department.

I'm very pleased with the caliber selection, the overall build quality, the bullet performance and feel like I have that one gun that can do anything in NA that I ask it to.
Rifle.jpg

Very nice build and very similar to what I'm wanting to do. But I think I'm going to go all the way down to 20" on the barrel.

Interesting you put such a heavy scope on a rifle you look to have spent a good amount of money on lightweight parts to keep the weight really low.

Very nice build and very similar to what I'm wanting to do. But I think I'm going to go all the way down to 20" on the barrel.

Interesting you put such a heavy scope on a rifle you look to have spent a good amount of money on lightweight parts to keep the weight really low.
Thanks and good point, I could have saved some more weight on the scope and actually the stock also had I'd gone CF. I guess the best answer is I saved ounces where I could to get more of what I wanted in other places and still keep it within my target range. I hadn't shot a 7 SAUM before this build and didn't necessarily want to get in the ultra lightweight range without knowing recoil, but now that everything is said and done it would have been fine.

Great looking build. I'm wanting to do a similar build in a LA magnum and 24 plus brake.

Is the stock a standard or edge fill?

What does it weigh with or without scope?
The stock is a standard with molded in color, I wouldn't have been able to do edge fill in that color.

I'll have to get a weight and get back to you, one of the things that got lost in the shuffle with getting it in during hunting season.

Defiance ruckus
24" proof sendero 8.4 twist
Trigger tech diamond
Mannners EH1A w/mini chasis
Hawkins m5 bottom metal
Beast II Ti 4 port brake
NX8 4-32

Waiting on a mess Precision stock to come in and it will sit in that when it does with Hawkins bdl bottom metal but for load development I'll use this stock.

Here's my latest addition to the lineup, a Snowy Mountain Rifles 7mm SAUM. Here's the particulars:
McMillan Game Warden in Desert Ambush
Defiance Anti SA
Proof 22-in Sendero Contour
SMR Titanium Brake
SMR Titanium Action Screws
SMR Al Bottom Metal
Triggertech Special
Hawkins Precision Long Range Hybrid Rings
Nightforce NX8 2.5-20 F1 MOAR

As part of the package, and with delivery coming during hunting season, I had load development done and currently running 175 gr Berger Elite Hunters at 2858. I do plan on working up my own loads with either 160 gr Accubonds or 168 gr LRAB, with the barrel speeding up and the lighter grain bullets, it may end up getting over 2900 which I'll be completely happy with on a SA with a 22 in barrel.

After hunting with this gun all of last week, and taking 2 fully mature S. TX bucks, I'm completely impressed and satisfied with the overall performance of the gun. This build started with a goal of getting magnum performance on a short compact platform, it's done that and it can compare to the size and weight of my 7mm-08.

Although I'm an Accubond fan, the bullet performance on two fully mature bucks taken at around 200 yds was impressive, absolutely no complaints in that department.

I'm very pleased with the caliber selection, the overall build quality, the bullet performance and feel like I have that one gun that can do anything in NA that I ask it to.View attachment 326876
Nice rifle! That 175 elite hunter is a good bullet. Very pleased with its performance on my elk last season.