7mm kreiger barrels

GRB

toying with the idea of intalling a kreiger barrel on my older rem. 700 7mm, was wondering if any out there are using his barrel in this cal. and what twist you went with. Best I remember stock is a 1in9, he 's offering a 1in12 and 1in11 in the diameter barrel I'm considering, but makes a 1in9 with a little larger diameter barrel. It's just used for hunting but would like a little better grouping a little farther out and enough benefit to justify the cost. new here , great post been reading them several hours now.

Krieger makes a great barrel. A 1-in-9 twist will stabilize the largest pills in 7mm, including the 180 grain. You didn't mention what you would be hunting, or how far you intended to shoot.

Most any rifle that can shoot groups of 1 MOA can easily be turned into at least a medium range shooter. Generally speaking, the only reason to go with a faster twist is the ability to shoot long, heavy bullets with a high ballistic coefficient (BC). The higher the BC, the better the bullet bucks the wind and retains speed. These important factors don't really begin to make a huge difference until you start pushing beyond the 500-600 yd. barrier.

If your current barrel is grouping OK and deer & elk are on the menu out to 500 yds, then I see no point is paying $$ to change out your barrel. Now if your barrel is close to being worn out, and you will incur that cost no matter which direction you go, then a new barrel with a faster twist may be the ticket.

Just a warning: this long distance game is addictive. :) First thing you know, your changing out your stock to reduce your groups. Then the trigger. Then after the inexpensive mods to your rifle are done, you start looking at better glass for the longer distances. Of course, that does you no good until you can upgrade your laser rangefinder to something that will range out to 800-1000 yds in all conditions and give you accurate readings. Then the need for targets made of AR500 steel kicks in. And I'm not going to even mention reloading supplies. Unfortunately, by the time all this occurs you have already begun to explore the benefits of a rifle in another caliber - just to see what it can do. Eventually, you lose your job, your wife & kids, your sanity....Uncle Sam begins to hound you for back taxes and no, he won't take payment in bullets and powder. Before long, you are destitute and on the run. It is a sad trail of events. I feel that Len Backus is mostly to blame for keeping up the LRH site with all this great information. I'm going to move in with him until my own circumstances change for the better. Best of luck to you, but don't say we didn't warn you!

I had a Kreiger 1:9 in my 7WSM; it shot so well that I ordered 2 more when that one burned out. Cleaned fast, copper very little, and ran the 180 Bergers like a house afire out of a 26" tube. Excellent.

JeffVN

Krieger is the Gold Standard IMHO. I have at least 20 of them either on rifles, chambered or blanks. Several in 7mm..

Thanks Bear, too late to save me though, shot prairie dogs back in 1980 with 6mm before it got popular.LOL. deer and elk are the ticket. hope to hunt back west some now that all the kids have graduated college. Been black powder for some time now cause things are close in the timber, got to be a underhammer nut and still love getting close. just had a barrel built for one, should be rank. good for 300 yrds.., cost of hunting is getting bad enough you can't affford to miss, thanks for the input

toying with the idea of intalling a kreiger barrel on my older rem. 700 7mm, was wondering if any out there are using his barrel in this cal. and what twist you went with. Best I remember stock is a 1in9, he 's offering a 1in12 and 1in11 in the diameter barrel I'm considering, but makes a 1in9 with a little larger diameter barrel. It's just used for hunting but would like a little better grouping a little farther out and enough benefit to justify the cost. new here , great post been reading them several hours now.

I'm not a one barrel manufacturer person. 7mm kind of need a 9 twist for 150-175 bullets. If I was going to rebarrel and was a reloading I would consider shifting to a 7stw with a 28 inch barrel

click on this site

Welcome to Shilen Rifles, Inc.

Last edited:

get a krieger witha 1-9. youwill love it.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.