Short barrel 7mm

OG-danimal

Looking to get a 7mm and load 154g absolute hammers. I would really like a 20" barrel to support the can. Would like these to shoot elk up to 5-600 yards. What do you all think about caliber selection for this set up? I'm thinking 280 ai or 7saum
Thanks

Looking to get a 7mm and load 154g absolute hammers. I would really like a 20" barrel to support the can. Would like these to shoot elk up to 5-600 yards. What do you all think about caliber selection for this set up? I'm thinking 280 ai or 7saum
Thanks
I have a 7mm SAUM with a 20" barrel shooting 145 Barnes and getting around 3,050 fps MV. 600 yards at 2,110 fps and 1,435 #s.

Have thought about this one a fair bit. I've had shorty 270, 7, and 300 wsm rifles over the last 10 years. Shorty 7 was first, that was when the 7 saum was fairly new and hadn't been adopted like it was now. Was 7 wsm with winchester and 7 rsaum with r and p... and the wsm had more boiler room. Looking at brass options, 7 saum would be the logical choice now even given its capacity loss to the wsm.

All that said, if I could locate and workup several hundred winchester pieces the wsm has boiler room going for it. Reality is both are 3 down at best and a little more scoot is always nice. Both probably benefit from xm actions with the super sleek pills.

I'd be hard pressed to jump on the 280 band wagon in a 20 inch barrel. The marketing hype about usable barrel length seems more important/valid as barrel length decreases. I've had both shorty 7 wsm and 7 rum rifles. The rum still handily out ran the wsm (30 grains is 30 grains) but the wsm lost a lot less from 26. I'd be hard pressed to do anything long action in a 20 inch barrel (although my current main squeeze is a 21 inch 7 rum... making me a hypocrite), ruling out the 280ai.

My money being spent, probably going to be 7 saum...

7 saum or 7 sherman short!

7 saum if you can find the brass beforehand and consider a medium action build if you plan to use the 155+ monos or 175-180 class heavies.

7 sherman short if you'd like to stay with a short action or cannot find 7 saum brass.

I have a 22", 7WSM, proof 8.25 twist and love it. I am going to do some load development with the 150 Bulldozer which should have great MV and performance. Stated BC of .309 G7. I've only done break in on it but all indications are it's going to be a a great rig.

8A4A5158-AEA6-4829-9FB1-3321DC8B189E.jpeg

Thanks
7mm SAUM for a short action or the 280AI for the long action-Both will work great for your goals.

It would definitely cost more today than 10-12 years ago.
Pretty much as the same as any custom rifle build
XP-100 single-shot action used with trigger linkage will run from $400-$700
Clone XP-100 action by Borden: Alpine ($1200-$1265 depending on lug)
Stock will run from $400-$700
Barrel blank of your choice
EGW 20 MOA Picatinny rail $45-$60 (Guessing here)
Holland Radial Baffle muzzle brake
Cost of fitting, chambering, threading/timing brake, bedding, and cerakote will vary depending on the gunsmith you use

I have a 22", 7WSM, proof 8.25 twist and love it. I am going to do some load development with the 150 Bulldozer which should have great MV and performance. Stated BC of .309 G7. I've only done break in on it but all indications are it's going to be a a great rig.

View attachment 410015
Pictures like this lead to divorce!

Recent Posts