Short barrel 33?

Wysongdog

Going to build a short barrel 33 cal to run suppressed for a mountain elk/bear rifle. What do you guys suggest? I think I remember a post about this before but I can't find it anywhere.

I believe the .338 Federal was meant to excell in a short action/ short barrel design. From what I've gathered it's not great for long range stuff, but still delivers adequate energy at medium range.

I had a 20" RUM barrel to run suppressed, would only get 2600 fps with a 300 grain bullet and H1000. Had it cut down from 26" and lost 200 fps. May have gotten a little more with RL26 or RL33, but shot it out and replaced with a 24". Even at only 2600 fps it made a viable 1000 yard elk rifle at the altitude I usually hunt. Here at sea level I'd cut that max range back a couple hundred to have more reliable/consistent bullet expansion.

I built a 9 lb .338 Norma mag, and run 270's out of it now, with a 24" barrel. Loading very conservatively, I am getting 2830 with 270's and 2630 with 300 Bergers, I could push it more and still be well within the pressure limits of the brass, but I am keeping my loads low/moderate as it's on a standard remington action. With a .750 bolt I could run up to the full capabilities of the brass and likely be 2750 or so with the 300's and pushing on 3000 with the 270's.

My rifle with a can would be about 10-10.5 lbs, but to be comfortable to shoot, I would likely look at the 230-250 range of bullets. I have only ran it with a good brake, so I can't say for sure, maybe the 270's would be alright, or the 265 ABLR's. But with 88-92 grains of powder, that is a good bit of horsepower in a pretty light rifle. Could be doable, but would be on the upper level of recoil.

However, a .338 Sherman Short or Sherman Max may be the perfect solution. They run the 250's around 2850 fps or so on the upper end in a 26" tube, with 60ish grains of powder, and run in a short action. The Sherman Max would be 2900 or better on the upper end, but would require a medium length action, or possibly get away with a Bainey 3.110" box. These would react very well being supressed I bet, as they are pretty efficient and use 20-30 grains less powder than the rum's and Norma mags, so would likely be pleasant to shoot. You would probably hit 2700+ with 250's and a 22" tube. The caviat being, you must be willing to fireform. The max version makes it simple, it is the same process as an Ackley Improved fireform. There are Hornady dies available for $180 range, and quality ADG headstamped brass.

For a short barreled lightish rig to run supressed in .338 for mountain hunting, that is the route I would go.

I built a 9 lb .338 Norma mag, and run 270's out of it now, with a 24" barrel. Loading very conservatively, I am getting 2830 with 270's and 2630 with 300 Bergers, I could push it more and still be well within the pressure limits of the brass, but I am keeping my loads low/moderate as it's on a standard remington action. With a .750 bolt I could run up to the full capabilities of the brass and likely be 2750 or so with the 300's and pushing on 3000 with the 270's.

My rifle with a can would be about 10-10.5 lbs, but to be comfortable to shoot, I would likely look at the 230-250 range of bullets. I have only ran it with a good brake, so I can't say for sure, maybe the 270's would be alright, or the 265 ABLR's. But with 88-92 grains of powder, that is a good bit of horsepower in a pretty light rifle. Could be doable, but would be on the upper level of recoil.

However, a .338 Sherman Short or Sherman Max may be the perfect solution. They run the 250's around 2850 fps or so on the upper end in a 26" tube, with 60ish grains of powder, and run in a short action. The Sherman Max would be 2900 or better on the upper end, but would require a medium length action, or possibly get away with a Bainey 3.110" box. These would react very well being supressed I bet, as they are pretty efficient and use 20-30 grains less powder than the rum's and Norma mags, so would likely be pleasant to shoot. You would probably hit 2700+ with 250's and a 22" tube. The caviat being, you must be willing to fireform. The max version makes it simple, it is the same process as an Ackley Improved fireform. There are Hornady dies available for $180 range, and quality ADG headstamped brass.

For a short barreled lightish rig to run supressed in .338 for mountain hunting, that is the route I would go.

That maybe the way I go. I was leaning towards a Sherman as I'm going to probably run his 26 Sherman on the 6.5 barrel. Since this is being built on a Borden long action. I've got lots of options. Lol. Maybe to many options.

The best from the shortest in a SAMMI is a 338 RCM I have one with a 19 in barrel and I basically get 25 odd feet less per second that a friend that has a 22 in-barrel on his. It loves 200, 225, 230grain bullets and will tolerate 250s. When you get into the mono bullets of 225 and larger though it starts eating your powder space. My next 338 RCM will be a Tikka on a 20 carbon fiber barrel with a CF EH1 style stock maybe JCS. I might even do a custom reamer to take advantage of the greater space in the Tikka. If you want a real hoss and do a long action go with a 33 Nosler. I had one but put a 26 in barrel on it. If I did it again I'd have went 22 or 24.

Last edited:
Aoudad didn't mention velocities with his 338 RCM. My sporter 338 RCM uses the exact reamer dimensions that Hornady used when they created it. Rifle weighs a tad over 7 lbs and has a 22" barrel.

It has taken several elk with the 225 gr accubond velocity 2775 with RL-17.

Other loads tried:
180 nosler bt: with RL-17/ 3045 fps.
215 sierras: Varget, most accurate 2730 fps.
215 sierras: H4350/ 2865 fps

Most recent load:
300 gr Berger seated to fit and feed from 3.050" magazine
RL-17 / 2350 fps

Last edited:
RCM: Ruger Compact Magnum. There are two: 300 RCM and a 338 RCM

FYI the new 6.5 PRC is essentially a necked down 300 RCM

.338 Federal runs the 185-210 class really well.
.338 RCM next step up looks like it runs the 210-225ish class
.338 Sherman Short brings the 250 and up class into play.

Then you can start chopping off barrel length from the heavy hitters and still have more energy but blast may spoil your can or put you on yours...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.