7mm short action chamberings?

So I have the action which is a 243 right now and leaning towards not having to buy a magnum bolt since I have a 7wsm already. Goals for this project are basically putting together an all around deer rifle. Quick deer drive type shots as well as get down and send one when the situation warrants it. I already have 7-08 brass so there is that part of the equation but to me that is not the deciding factor. Yet. ;).

One question I haven't found a clear cut answer to yet is the real world velocities from the 708 vs 708 ai in longer barrels.
If you have a Smith open up your bolt face (super common operation) and install an M16 extractor or the like, use a Wyatt 6.5 Magazine (2.995), you open up to more power than you'll likely ever need. A wildcat you should consider in this case is the Sherman 7mm SS. You also then host a 7 WSM or the very popular 7 SAUM.

If you have a Smith open up your bolt face (super common operation) and install an M16 extractor or the like, use a Wyatt 6.5 Magazine (2.995), you open up to more power than you'll likely ever need. A wildcat you should consider in this case is the Sherman 7mm SS. You also then host a 7 WSM or the very popular 7 SAUM.

If you go to the 7SS route make sure you get one built with the 7SS version B reamer

7/08 AI-140s at 3020 on 26, 9T" is real world with H414, throated appropriately, 3100 was maxed but not as accurate. I run Wyatt's extended internal box magazine allowing more powder space.

284 needs long action, I made the mistake with two barrels on a short action, and never again.

284 = 280 Rem

7 PRC case volume duplicates the 7 Rem Mag. I have not had an issue with a belt in 35 years.

Opening up the bolt face, and adding an M16 extractor is half the battle. The next obstacle is the feed rail adjustments for the much fatter case.... a hard lesson learned!

Looking for a 7mm clambering to build in a short action rem 700 action. It will be standard bolt face but not set in stone. Wild cats are not excluded. I will moe than likely be leaning on bullets up to 160 class.
If you already have the action and it is a standard bolt face, I wouldn't spend/waste money on opening the bolt face and adding an extractor. Been there, done that..... Go with a 284 Win or a popular wildcat version of it like the 284 Wheeler. I believe Erik Cortina is running the Wheeler in F Class so it shouldn't be hard to find info on it.

If you already have the action and it is a standard bolt face, I wouldn't spend/waste money on opening the bolt face and adding an extractor. Been there, done that..... Go with a 284 Win or a popular wildcat version of it like the 284 Wheeler. I believe Erik Cortina is running the Wheeler in F Class so it shouldn't be hard to find info on it.
EC runs the Shehane. But his new cartridge is the 7/6.5 PRC-W…W is for Alex Wheeler. It is a 6.5 PRC sized up to the .284. NOT the new 7 PRC, however.

since Lapua stopped making the 284 brass, he had to find a new cartridge.

Hopefully Lapua will begin manufacturing 284 brass again one day!
Until then... I hope another manufacturer fills the void!
Lots of 284 Win users out here!

Bob, remember that magazine length and throat geometry are of major importance. You may end up having to shoot the rifle as a single shot without some planning.

I would not put any case based on a 284 case on a short action, even with a Wyatt's mag box, WHEN the rifle was going to be used as a repeater for hunting.

Also, count the cost of the dies and delivery times. I have out smarted myself more than a few times.

EC runs the Shehane. But his new cartridge is the 7/6.5 PRC-W…W is for Alex Wheeler. It is a 6.5 PRC sized up to the .284. NOT the new 7 PRC, however.

since Lapua stopped making the 284 brass, he had to find a new cartridge.
Oh, my mistake. In a couple of his videos he refers to shooting his 284 Wheeler and I thought he shot his 1.3" group on video at 1000 with a 284 Wheeler. Maybe I'm wrong...

Regardless, IMHO a 284 Win or a variant of it is a viable option for the OP.