Long Action vs Short Action.

Clearly a 3006 length action is what I refer to as a "long" action and all the newer short mags like the 6.5 PRC, the Shermans, 6.8 Western, all the WSMs and even the 308 Win and possibly the 260 Rem and 7mm08 benefit from a long action because of the long ogived high BC bullets available. It's not like I don't have short action rifles, because in having them I have come to realize how they limit the cartridges that are marketed for them. As far as the 6 mm Creed, its a nice cartridge but the good old 243Win and 244Rem out do it. As I have posted before, modern SRP brass and temp stable ball powders, and high BC lathe turned copper bullets used in the .308 and .243, especially the latter, really unlock performance from these "old" favorites beyond what the designers hoped for.
The 6mm Credmoor with the 7.5 twist barrel along with the projectile sitting out of the case is a slight advantage over the .243 and we're fans of both calibres. With zero load development using Nosler brass with 103 ELD-X it's comfortably under 1/2 MOA straight out of the box. Frankly I have never seen this performance with so little work. Albeit I agree it's a modern take on an old idea.
5BFD755E-2927-4AA8-B60B-0535CA994494.jpeg

Interest in SRP in a 308. I wonder how the MRP users are going to react? I generally use LRP in most of my reloads. Never saw any advantage in using MRP unless you get more veloicty because you can't get enough powder in the case to do the job. Or loading more than 80 grains+.

Interest in SRP in a 308. I wonder how the MRP users are going to react? I generally use LRP in most of my reloads. Never saw any advantage in using MRP unless you get more veloicty because you can't get enough powder in the case to do the job. Or loading more than 80 grains+.
I found the CCI450 mag SRPs to be very reliable. Recently did a speed test of our 150 gr .308BD2 bullet using a 26" 1:10 twist Savage factory barrel at a COAL of 2.950". Turns out my jump was 0.080". That barrel likely had been chambered using a PT&G bore rider chamber reamer which has a long throat free bore. Confirmed with Dave Kiff that the year the barrel was made he was selling that reamer design to Savage. Anyway, the long and short of it is that with 52 gr of Leverevolution and the Lapua Palma(SRP) brass and CCI450 primers I got an average of 3170fps of 6 shots with an ES of 13 fps. No primer flattening at all compared to unfired seated primers and bolt lift was normal. Resized the brass and reseated new primers with a hand primer tool, I could not detect any easier seating effort. Recoil without a muzzle brake was relatively mild, but recoil generally foes not bother me.

Recent Posts