7mm short action chamberings?

cmor_15

Looking for a 7mm clambering to build in a short action rem 700 action. It will be standard bolt face but not set in stone. Wild cats are not excluded. I will moe than likely be leaning on bullets up to 160 class.

Well, what are the goals to help guide some suggestions...
I'd look at what you can actually get for components then decide. What bullets can you buy if reloading. What factory ammo can you buy three varieties of right now to see what your rifle likes to eat??
7mm-08, 7SAW, .284 and 7SAUM...

Well, what are the goals to help guide some suggestions...
I'd look at what you can actually get for components then decide. What bullets can you buy if reloading. What factory ammo can you buy three varieties of right now to see what your rifle likes to eat??
7mm-08, 7SAW, .284 and 7SAUM...
Yeah, If you throw in the magnum bolt... whole new set of options!

Don't know If you already have the standard bolt and receiver but, if so, 7mm-08 is definitely the easy button with factory ammo available in a pinch.

So I have the action which is a 243 right now and leaning towards not having to buy a magnum bolt since I have a 7wsm already. Goals for this project are basically putting together an all around deer rifle. Quick deer drive type shots as well as get down and send one when the situation warrants it. I already have 7-08 brass so there is that part of the equation but to me that is not the deciding factor. Yet. ;).

One question I haven't found a clear cut answer to yet is the real world velocities from the 708 vs 708 ai in longer barrels.

Lots of, StaBall 6.5 Powder ( Hogdon Data, Work up, CAREFULLY ) and, 150 - 162 grain, Eld-X's / SST's or, 168 Berger, Classic's / H-VLD's will Make,..
the 24 inch, 7-08,.. a whole, nother,.. "Animal" !
NO need to, do the 7-08 AI,.. IF, using,.. StaBall, as my son was pushing 168 Bergers, 2,765 FPS with, IT from, a 22 inch Barrel !
IF you can find, a Magnum Bolt Face,.. go,.. 7 SAUM

Last edited:
Quick deer drive and longer barrel don't mix in my mind. Hands down the 7mm-08 meets all your metrics.
I agree with you some what. Barrel length is not set in stone just curious what a guy can get out of those in lo ger tubes

My vote is 7mm-08AI.

But having one, i can pretty much attest, your not going to be gaining a whole lot by AI ing the 7mm-08.

With 140gr pills out of a 22" barrel, H414, H4350 and Alliant PP2000MR got me 2,832fps.

Speed demon for me was RL17 at 2,916fps.
But most stable was PP2000MR at ES-6, SD-2.

My vote is 7mm-08AI.

But having one, i can pretty much attest, your not going to be gaining a whole lot by AI ing the 7mm-08.

With 140gr pills out of a 22" barrel, H414, H4350 and Alliant PP2000MR got me 2,832fps.

Speed demon for me was RL17 at 2,916fps.
But most stable was PP2000MR at ES-6, SD-2.
was there less case stretch with the ai? Or possible accuracy gains?

Last edited:
Accuracy gains, no.
As for case stretch.
I trim every reload with a Lee case gauge trimmer.
After about 2 reloads after the initial fireforming, it started taking some off.
And would each time i reloaded.
But not as much as a standard cartridge.

How far do you want to kill stuff and practice?
If it's 600 plus, I'd pick the bullet thats best for that, so 180 ELDs or Berger. Then I'd do a 7/08 AI throated correctly. Ackley mainly to minimize any brass trimming and a bump in velocity doesn't suck. But straight 7-08 is good to go also.
Of shorter ranges, take your pick. I'd base whatever I did on top quality brass choices.