7mm short action chamberings?

Bob, the guy is using a 700-short action. If he were to use a 168-180g vld hunting or similar bullet, he could not use the magazine with the Bullet shank/Boat tail seated at the shoulder/neck junction. He would have to seat the bullet way down in the powder.

If he did get a rifle throated properly in a 284 or variant, with correct throat geometry, he would have to remove the bolt to extract a loaded round from the chamber.

I had two 25/284's and two 6/284's in the '80s, I cussed those chamberings more than any chambering I have ever had. These are long action cartridges or Single shots. Those two chambers taught me a lot on throat geometry, Mag box length, ejection port modification, and shorter barrel life due to improper throat geometry on the new barrel.

Even a 25 Creed is pushing the limits on a Rem short action, and a 250 AI is about perfect.

It is very expensive to only think of the accuracy on a new throat, 600 rounds later is another issue. Hence, the long action serves a multitude of good things up on a Silver Platter!

Have you ever seen where Weatherby puts a big notch in the ejection port to allow some of those big magnums to eject a loaded round? I had to do this on both of the 25/284s and 6/284's. I credited the gunsmith as being dumb as stump in his reamer Choice and throat for the short action.

Last edited:
I shot 160g TMK in a custom 7/08 with 49.4g of R#19 in formed Lapua Palma brass, cci 450. 2.810" OAL'

Later on, I switched to the 280 Rem, with IMR 7828, same bullet, IMR 7828 with Fed 210 with MV of 2930 fps and amazing accuracy.

...honestly it's hard to beat the plain Jane ho-hum 7mm/08....the difference in velocity won't be noticed by an animals vital, guaranteed...and you'll always be able to easily make brass one way or anotger..nice cartridge to work with..

...honestly it's hard to beat the plain Jane ho-hum 7mm/08....the difference in velocity won't be noticed by an animals vital, guaranteed...and you'll always be able to easily make brass one way or anotger..nice cartridge to work with..
This is the main reason I am leaning heavy on the 7mm-08 AI. If I ever burned up my initial lot of brass I can get more with relative ease and cheap if not free from the guys that don't bother to pick it up at the range.

So I have the action which is a 243 right now and leaning towards not having to buy a magnum bolt since I have a 7wsm already. Goals for this project are basically putting together an all around deer rifle. Quick deer drive type shots as well as get down and send one when the situation warrants it. I already have 7-08 brass so there is that part of the equation but to me that is not the deciding factor. Yet. ;).

One question I haven't found a clear cut answer to yet is the real world velocities from the 708 vs 708 ai in longer barrels.
I currently have a .243 sitting and now a brand new Bartlein .284 blank since I bought a proof for my ackley build. I'm gonna rebarrel the .243 action with the Bartlein to a 7mm-08

Thoughts on AI dies? Take standard dies and have the Smith ream with same reamer as chamber or special order die set. And bushing dies vs standard fl dies.

I had tSeater sleeves reamed with the chamber reamer with Redding competition seater sleeve and the Forster Benchrest seaters sleeve which are not hardened.

22/204
22/250 AI
6 Rem AI
260 AI

Since the seater sleeve is chamber size, the sleeve will act as a full length sizer if you Web has expanded. The option is to use 320 wet sand and oil to open up the sizer .001-.0015

Recent Posts