7mm SAUM Barrel Length

Mholland

Gonna build a bean field rifle in 7SAUM.. I 'want' to build her to optimize a 168 bullet and wring all the performance out of it I can. Is there a calculation for case capacity and optimal barrel length? ...probably asked before, just didn't locate the thread. Thx

My understanding is that the SAUM, WSM line was to run short actions and shorter barrels. I have a 24" barrel on my 6.5WSM. Buddy just got a 7SAUM made with a 24" barrel and seems to get 2980 with a 180 grain Berger and RL 26. Of course you could run a 26" with it. My theory is that i have one rifle (6.5WSM) that is use in country that is thicker for hunting. And a 28 Nosler with a 27" barrel for more open longer shots...

you could run a 26"...or 27" or...?

I just wonder with the slower powders where the point of diminishing returns is. Not carrying it more than 100 yards, so I don't care about that. Just what's in the realm of reality...and what's the math

If you're not going to be carrying it very far , use a 26" to get the most out of it. I would also recommend going with an 8 twist in case you want to try the heavy bullets in the future.

I would go 26" also. All of my hunting rifles except my varmint AR have 26" or up barrels.

I have a 6.5 SS w. 26" pushing a 150 SMK (still in load development) from 3120 to 3190fps for my accuracy node.

My .280AI has a 26" Proof barrel and I am pushing a 175 Berger Elite Hunter as hard as possible, on the ragged edge of pressure,and getting 2998fps over RL23. And crazy accurate.

7RM w. 26" Bartlein pushing a 180 Hybrid at a leisurely 2996 over H1000, but it is so accurate I do not want to mess with it to try and wring more speed out of it. It just took a good AZ bull elk @ 662 yards with ease.

6.5 SLR & .300RUM both run 28" barrels.

Guys have 7 saum's in 20" barrels up to 32" in F-class. You should make the length fit the rifle, make it balance out well in your stock and fit your shooting style. You should see 3100 in a 26" with rl26. If you see large temp swings and prefer a little more stable powder 3000 is still do able.

What powder Weiser?

I have a 26" 7SAUM barrel that I just got for my DT. Have test loads ready with R26.

Retumbo, it sounds like the exact wrong powder for the cartridge but it works great, much like it does in the 6.5x284. Most loads in the SAUM will be compressed, but diligent load development will reveal the winners . Mine is on a long action, keep that in mind.

I run a 24 inch proof barrel on a long action. It depends on what you are going to do with the rifle. 24 inches with a brake is great for hunting but 26 or 27 may be better for wringing the most speed out.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.