7mm saum barrel length and profile

Ndfarmer

I just bought savage 16 left hand with McMillan A5 stock in 300 wsm. I am going to rebarrel it to 7mm saum. It has factory barrel with pretty good gap in barrel channel I haven't measured channel yet. Just curious what barrel length and profile you guys would recommend or use on your A5? I'm not worried if I have to open up channel little bit. Used for shooting steel and deer hunting. I'm thinking 26" light Palma?

Thanks Chris! Sometimes I just need to vote of confidence to make sure I'm on the right path. With a light Palma it should be around 12 3/4 lbs. 3 lbs under my 338 edge.

10lbs is way better for carrying but I just had to try a a5 stock. It does fit well and feels comfortable. I think with a little heavier barrel it should balence out nice

The other thing to take into account is Palma barrels are usually 31" blanks. If you are cutting it down to 26" it will weigh significantly less than the blank does.

The problem is the 5.5", 1.25" dia. Palma shank. What seems like a little sanding ends up with a significant amount of work to fit the back end of the barrel if it is cut for a spotter barrel with a steep shoulder.

I've never had a Palma profile barrel. Would it be easier to go light varmint? I want something heavier than heavy magnum. Was probably going to get criterian from northland shooters supply. Had very good luck with them.

I've never had a Palma profile barrel. Would it be easier to go light varmint? I want something heavier than heavy magnum. Was probably going to get criterian from northland shooters supply. Had very good luck with them.
What contour chart are you using for a reference?

The chart on northland shooter supply website. If there is a better contour I'm open to it. I have used other barrels too.

From that chart, I wouldn't want anything smaller than a Varmint in an A5 stock.

It's not hard to open up a barrel channel but it does take time. I really like the Palma contours, it gives you more meat at the throat and chamber than anything else. I have had 2 heavy varmint (Bartlein #9) and now a hawk hill marksman. I really like this hawk hill contour, between a light Palma and med Palma.

I would not pack the heavy varmint. That barrel alone weighs 7#. I think light Palma at 25-26" would be just about right. It may not fill up the barrel channel at the forend but shouldn't look bad.

Thanks guys! I may have to just pull her apart and eye up the light varmint off my 6.5x284 build on it and see what I think. I may just try the Palma. New stock new barrel profile?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.