7 SAUM - Velocity/Barrel Length

jbail1

Well I decided on the SR3 action for the 7 SAUM build. This is going to be a backcountry mountain hunting build. So I want to find a sweet spot between weight savings and velocity.

I've pretty well decided on a Bartlein #3 contour for the barrel and need some advice on barrel length. According to LRI's fluting calculator, I'll get about 6oz back from fluting and I've decided that's gonna happen.

Most likely shooting 180g berger VLD hunting bullets, but open to suggestions as I'm new to the 7mm hunting realm.

Does anyone have chrony data on your 7 SAUM with say 24", 25", and 26" barrels? Please provide altitude and the range and temp data if you have it. I'm at sea level now, but will be hunting around 8-9k feet. If the difference is only 50fps, then I'll go as short as possible. If it's 150-200FPSdifference, I'll consider a bit longer.

Thanks

Had one built earlier by Bigngreen. 25 inch Bartlein fluted 3B with a LPA titanium action. With a March 2.5X25 it is under 9 lbs all up. Using RL 26 I'm right at 2900 fps with the Berger 180 hunting. Deadly bullet. 2 deer and a antelope this yr. Deer and antelope both under 100 yds DRT. Last deer 325 yds and he went 20 yds .
I'm at 4600 ft elevation or so. Sighting in temp was perhaps 70 degrees. Broz's generalization for many rifles is 25-50 fps per in of barrel. Some guys using 27-30 inch barrels are reaching 3000 fps. After using a Berger for a few yrs I'm happy at 2900. Less "splatter" affect at closer ranges. Still plenty of steam to be solid out over 700 yds. Faster is flatter and bucks the wind better. Just not better bullet preformance at close range IMO. Good luck. Bruce

My 7 SAUM is a Remington Model Seven with the factory 22" barrel. I'm getting 2980 fps with Remington Premier ammo with 160 grain Partitions. My handloads using 160 grain Accubonds is only able to get 2930 fps. I can get to 2900 fps pretty easy. FWIW, none of my handloads are over the listed book max. I haven't worked up to the rifle's max, nor do I care to. Lol

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts