7mm-08 the forgotten 6.5 Creed Killer?

What's your load on the 120? I've got them on the way!
Bullet: 120 HH .284"
COAL: 2.700"
Case: Lapua sized from 308
Primer: WLR
Barrel length 22"
25-45 F. 750ft ele

Powder charges just 1/2 grain under from stiff bolt with accuracy:

IMR3031 - 41.3gr @ 3080fps
Varget - - 43.5gr @ 3075fps
AA2520 - 43gr @ 3075fps
RL17 -----48.5gr @ 3050fps

Powders not obtaining enough velocity with pressure signs:

IMR4166 Enduron
IMR4895

Last edited:
I know this thread is about the 7/08 vs the 6.5 Creedmoor, but I consider the Creedmoor to be a Koolaid caliber, whose popularity is generated by the marketing departments of Hornady, et al. Otherwise, there are two other cartridges which match or exceed the performance of the 6.5 Creed.
Date Introduced​
Caliber​
Comment​
1890's6.5 x 55 SwedemoorBut it requires a *long* action! Eeewww...
~19556.5-08 (what became the 260 Rem)Formally adopted by SAMMI in 1997, commercial offerings exceed the 6.5 CM in performance.
20076.5 CMMakes everyone a sniper.

I voted with my wallet and have (2) 6.5 Swede AI's, (2) 7mm-08's, and one 260 Rem.
Unless I am gifted one, there's a 0.01% chance there will ever be a Creedmoor anything in my possession, about as likely as me ever wearing toe shoes:

View attachment 320169
X-2

Personally getting pretty bored with all the creedmoor bashing. The 6.5 creedmoor is so popular because it's very effective at what you want it to do. I don't own one but I have a 6.5saum for 6 years now and love it. This would probably be true if I owned a 7-08 also. Many great calibers out there old and new. If we always stayed stuck on current technology we would all be shooting muzzle loaders. No thank you!!
I prefer fresh squeezed orange juice, it is what my great great great grand parents drunk! Coolaid was an "innovation". You can have all the coolaid! I stick to fresh OJ!

Personally getting pretty bored with all the creedmoor bashing. The 6.5 creedmoor is so popular because it's very effective at what you want it to do. I don't own one but I have a 6.5saum for 6 years now and love it. This would probably be true if I owned a 7-08 also. Many great calibers out there old and new. If we always stayed stuck on current technology we would all be shooting muzzle loaders. No thank you!!
I'm just astonished the older technology 7mm-08 got so overlooked.

I've pondered building a fleet of CM's, all identical except for bore size. A .22, .24, .25, .26, .27, .28, .30, .32, .33, .35, & a .375 Then I'd have a rifle for every possible, conceivable need in NA!

^That's sarcasm btw.....

Seriously though, all fans of the other 6.5's out there do owe the CM a debt for finally getting the bullet mfg's to start making modern bullets in that caliber. Don't have to like the CM, but do need to acknowledge what it has done for the bore size.
I own a 6.5 CM upper that I built and have never shot nor am I likely to. Just don't want to be reloading for a gas gun. Same reason why I won't be building a 7-08 upper.

But I am about to start building a 7-08 bolt and I'm getting anxious to get going on it. Next I think I want a 7-30 Waters. Just not sure in what action, yet.

In the past 35 yrs I've owned 3 different 7/08's ( still have 2) and 2 different 270 Win (still have one). The conclusion I came to is anything the 270 Win will do the 7/08 will do as well or better and with less fuss. Less recoil, powder, and throat wear and a much greater choice of good bullets. JMO

Well, amongst certain MR and LR shooters, it wasn't. Through the decades, I saw several 7-08's on the Nat'l Match line, and remember one who won the Nat'l title using it. Also, I have seen a fair share of 7-08's on the 1,000yd line in both prone and BR. Even the more recent PRS group has a few 7-08 boys enjoying some success.

Like several other "old" cartridges, if one uses a faster twist barrel with the more modern BC bullets, they too begin to take on new LR life.

@BFD Guns Thanks for starting this thread. I learned a few things and put another cardridge on my wish list
In case any of you want to donate a rifle...here is my list
WIN M70 CRF 25-06 BOSS
WIN M70 CRF 264 WM BOSS
need those two to complete the series
WBY MKV 257 WBY
New addition, any rifle shooting the 7mm-08!

And on that note, ti,e to leave the thread
Again, thanks for the education!

I don't think the four 7mm-08's at my house would let a Creedmoor in the safe. The 7mm-08 has accounted for 4 kid's first deer and it's what my wife shoots.

I have a Remington R-25 in 7mm-08. It's a good shooter.
How good your R25 shoots? I have only a semiauto, a "real men one" Zastava sniper in 8x57, and thinking about getting an R25. Thanks!

Love the 7-08, been a favorite of mine for plenty of reasons. 6.5 creed i feel only has the following it does because of the advertisement it had/has. Long been a fan of the 260 Rem which I won't get into because the creed guys go bonkers but I'd say the 260 would be more the adult version of the 6.5 creed apples to apples.

Bullet: 120 HH .284"
COAL: 2.700"
Case: Lapua sized from 308
Primer: WLR
Barrel length 22"
25-45 F. 750ft ele

Powder charges just (1/2 grain) prior to stiff bolt with accuracy:

IMR3031 - 41.3gr @ 3080fps
Varget - - 43.5gr @ 3075fps
AA2520 - 43gr @ 3075fps
RL17 -----48.5gr @ 3050fps

Powders not obtaining enough velocity with pressure signs:

IMR4166 Enduron
IMR4895

I have a Stevens 200 with a terrible twist rate for 7-08 (11.5). I shoot a Barnes 120TTSX over 43.5G Varget. I forget fps at the moment, but it's a good load. This rifle was the first one I started reloading for and I learned a lot from it.

My son grumbles about the 6.5CM. If I bought a rifle in that caliber and it was a tack-driver, he'd shoot it, though.

It's NOT that, "overlooked" Just a Tad late to,.. the "New Party" !
The Newer shooters, are "Gobbling up", the Fast / Flat shooting, 6.5 PRC And, the Light Recoiling, very ACCURATE, 6.5 Creedmoor.
Gun people in the KNOW still like, the 7mm-08,.. just fine ! My son, is NOT changing from, the 7mm-08 and I'm NOT moving off, my .270 WSM for Elk / Moose, anytime soon, as BOTH Kill, Big Game, VERY well with, the Proper Bullet !
I just bought, a New Tikka, T-3 Lite SS, in 6.5 Creed, to replace a .243 Win that, "disappeared", recently !
Gonna use it for, Deer, Antelope, Coyotes and Steel Targets AND, it's going to be, "Hard to Beat" for THOSE, uses !
For Elk/ Moose, we will, STILL grab, the 7mm's and .270's, tho . My grandson has, a New Savage Carbon Barreled Rifle, in 6.5 PRC to Hunt it, ALL !
He's blasted 3 Deer so Far ( 2 on Kodiak Isle, one here in Idaho ) all 3, were One shot, one Hop, Kills with, the ELD-X Bullet.

Recent Posts