6mmppc and 6mmbr

ven

anyone use these calibres for long range hunting on varmints and small deer .i know they dont have the knockdown factor that is required for large game but there accuacy is fantastic.i have not seen them mentioned much on these forums which is not that surprising as in america your big game is big not like our roe deer only 50 pounds.just wondering if there are any other 6mm br or ppc shooters out there.

Yes I have a 6BR based on a Rem700 that I use mainly for varmint hunting, but I have used it on New Zealand feral goats (a major pest!), some of which would easily be 50 lbs. Longest kills on Rabbits so far has been 400 yards & and goats 200 yards.

Both the 6PPC and 6BR are extremely accurate. For any given bullet weight you can probably expect approx 150 fps greater velocity with the BR compared to the PPC. And the 6BR has the advantage of using the same bolt face as the .308 win. I'm currently achieving 2990 fps with 87grain V-max bullets from a 27 inch barrel (1:10 twist) burning 31 grains of Varget (ADI AR2208). I have tried Berger VLD 95 grain projectiles (BC of 0.51) but a 1:9 twist is required to stabilise these at/near sea-level). I shoot my 6BR single shot. But modifications can be done to allow feeding from a magazine.

The website 6mmBR.com has a wealth of information on this and similar cartridges.

i also looked on more info on the 6mmBR but as you stated its not the caliber of choice over in the states. they would be using larger calibers for their game. here in europe game tends to be smaller true.

Well the current 1000 yd world record and previous have been set with the 6br and a slight variation in the case a 6 dasher... so yes the case is used a lot with varmint hunters and yes it will shoot a long long way if the appropriate twist and throat are used to shoot heavy high BC bullets or shoot an old shot out BR barrel with a 14 twist and it will work great for light bullets ...case efficiency and brass quality are second to none...

[ QUOTE ]
anyone use these calibres for long range hunting on varmints and small deer .i know they dont have the knockdown factor that is required for large game but there accuacy is fantastic.i have not seen them mentioned much on these forums which is not that surprising as in america your big game is big not like our roe deer only 50 pounds.just wondering if there are any other 6mm br or ppc shooters out there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, shoot the 6mmbr for varmints and long range with both rifle and bolt pistol. We use the ppc for 300 yards and less matches..... But the most fun is to smear some jelly on a target at 100 yards and shoot the flys with the ppc when they land on it.

James

thanks for the replys was just curious as two who all used these calibres.anyone got any favorite loads for the 6mmppc.

[ QUOTE ]
thanks for the replys was just curious as two who all used these calibres.anyone got any favorite loads for the 6mmppc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hello,

It all depends on the barrel. I like to use H322 in the PPC and AA2015br in the 6mmbr. The reason I chose the 2015 was to use up the 8 pounds that I have had for many years. After the 2015 is gone, I will evaluate loads all over again. I will also try the 2015 in the 6mmBRX project that is on-going. The 6mmBRX is the same principle as Shawns' 338 EDGE.

James

Chawlston,

Nice to see someone else using H322 in their ppc. I think it works great. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I use Benchmark in my slow twist 6br and Varget in my fast twist BR improved.

[ QUOTE ]
Chawlston,

Nice to see someone else using H322 in their ppc. I think it works great. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I use Benchmark in my slow twist 6br and Varget in my fast twist BR improved.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just got my BRX reamer today. With the 105s what is your recommendation on powder for 600 yard matches? Thanks in advance.

James

Oh I think you'll love your BRX. Should be a real tack driver.

I have worked up loads for two 6br imp's and they both liked just about anything. One liked RL15 the best and the other liked Varget the best. Good standard deviations with both guns. In fact, on mine, I tried something like 21 loads and all but one load had deviations in the single digits! I couldn't find anything it didn't like!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.