Best Factory 308 & 6mmBR ammo

Daniel23

I have a Savage model 10 FCP bolt action 308 with a custom barrel and a 6mm BR Norma rifle for competition shooting. My father passed away about 2 years ago and he was big on reloading for those 2 rifles. I don't do enough shooting with those rifles to go through the process of reloading. I mostly hunt with my other rifles and bow. But when there is a shoot i would like to compete. I won a 300yard match with the 308 before he passed away with 175 STMK bullets my biggest miss in that match was about 2.5 inches. I was curious to know if anyone knows any good ammo that would get me those great groups at 300 yards+ for both the 308 and 6MM BR. The twist rate on the Savage is 1-10 and on 6mm is 1-8.

I would think that any ammo manufacturer that labels their ammo BR that it would be loaded with care and consistency. Price is the big factor in finding any on dealers shelves. I was lucky enough to pick up a lot of 6 boxes of Rem 6mmBR in an auction a couple of years ago. The whole lot went for $85 bucks. At the time one box retailed for $89.95. The reason I bid on the lot was I didn't have ammo for the one 6mm in my collection and I try to have at least a box of ammo for every caliber I own. When I looked up the price I was floored... The cost of shooting factory BR might cause you to reconsider setting up to reload.. Sounds like your dad already worked up the load info..

308: FGMM, Berger. McCourt, Unknown Munitions. (also hornady)
6BR: Lapua or Unknown Munitions are about it

I have a Savage model 10 FCP bolt action 308 with a custom barrel and a 6mm BR Norma rifle for competition shooting. My father passed away about 2 years ago and he was big on reloading for those 2 rifles. I don't do enough shooting with those rifles to go through the process of reloading. I mostly hunt with my other rifles and bow. But when there is a shoot i would like to compete. I won a 300yard match with the 308 before he passed away with 175 STMK bullets my biggest miss in that match was about 2.5 inches. I was curious to know if anyone knows any good ammo that would get me those great groups at 300 yards+ for both the 308 and 6MM BR. The twist rate on the Savage is 1-10 and on 6mm is 1-8.
If you change your mind on reloading don't be embarrassed to ask on here. If you do already reload then hopefully your father had all the gear needed for those two rifles.

Federal gold medal match with the 175 shoots half moa in my FN 308. Hornady super formance with sst shoots about the same. My Tikka likes both of those too and the federal load with the berger hybrid. I reload but don't for 308 since there's factory ammo that shoots so well and I stocked up on several cases of fgmm when it was $20 a box.

Try Federal GM308M 168 or Federal GM308M2 in 175. Both do very well. A bit pricy, but work. For target use. Not for hunting so much, but then...

If you can find hornandy match 168a-max buy it, my rem 700 loves it big holes and dime size groups at 200yd.
Freedom munitions had a 168 load and they're fairly reasonable priced, I can't vouch for consistency having never fired them.