Best .308 Factory Loads To Kill Deer From

isptroop38

I just bought a Remington 700 VSF in .308. I don't have the components or time to load for .308 before the season starts, so I need to know what factory loads would shoot and work well without wasting a lot of money experimenting. I definitely plan to load for .308, just not right now.

Bottom Line: What do you suggest for the most accurate hunting loads that I can buy right off the shelf to kill a deer? I'm not planning to take any shots over 300 yds. I am leaning towards the Hornady 168 gr. A-Max rounds. Anybody have any experience with these or other factory loads out of a Rem 700? Thanks in advance.

You already said it. The TAP ammo cant be beat for deer. I would go with the 168gr, but the 155gr would work fine.

I know this doesnt help right now,but in the next coming months Winhester will have a dynamite round in this caliber,the new Winchester XP3 supreme Elite brand.A 150 grain bullet with a Ballistic coefficiency of .437.When does your hunting season end there?just curious.

Welcome to LRH, the best site of it's type available in my
opinion. For next year you could also look at the new Federal MRX loads. Can't really add to existing loads given.

Thanks for all the great posts. I live in Iowa and we are having the first high power season in recent history. It's only in select counties in southern Iowa from Jan. 23-29, '06. I've never killed a deer with a highpower, always used my bow or muzzleloader. Looking forward to seeing what I've been missing. I imagine the shot will be less than 200 yds since we don't have a lot of open flat land in the area that will be open to highpowers. Thanks again for all the comments. I'll keep them in mind when I choose a bullet.

I've been using Black Hills Gold 165 gr NBT's with good luck from 50 to 450 yards. Shoot 'em in the base of the neck and they won't take a step.

I agree on the Black Hills 165 NBTs. They track 2 MOA to the right of where 168 SMTs track, but I was shooting them out to 587 yards on Saturday having adjusted for the 2 MOA and they were right on target. Last year I hit a buck at 200 yds and it just knocked it over.

The Black Hills Match 165 gr. Soft Points worked well for me this last season. This 'trophy' buck went about 10 yards before leaning against some brush and dying. It was sorta funny because although it was very dead, it looked alive (it was still on all fours with its eyes open). My wife walked around a tree and saw the deer from about 5 yards still on all four legs and let out a good scream.

normal_Deadeye%20Fix.jpg

The good part is that the ammo shoots excellent and is relatively cheap (about $15 per box when on sale).

My Dad has killed deer as close as 30 yards and antelope out to 350 yards with one load. Winchester 150 grain power- point soft point.

Chris

If all you are shooting is deer out to 300yrds I would try the remington corelocks. Nothing fancy about this bullet but everything I have shot with corelocks died within seconds. Not the most fancy bullet but they will get the job done.

All these guys have suggested some good stuff....but I'll say the best to shoot is what your rifle shoots best....no matter what it is....a 308 with any bullet will put down a deer out to 300-350....

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.