Factory ammo

Wildstreak

Who shoots factory ammo for hunting? Let me be more specific, 500 yards or less? I was looking around my garage tonight and realized all the money I had tied up in reloading equipment, components, etc. I dont shoot PRS or F-class and have no intentions of it and have a self imposed limit of 500 yards on animals.

Just seemed like a lot of unneeded extra steps.

Am I wrong?

Last edited:
Ive been shooting fatory out of my custom 6.5 Prc and making center hits to 7-800.Is what ill be using in it this year, but it is also my secondary or deer rifle.I am going to get a load for it but the hornady match has been great

Reloading is expensive anymore. large magnum brass is 2.65 each, powder is 1.25 per shot, bullets about .80, primer about .13.
That doesn't include all of the tooling and gadgets that we accumulate over time.
Ask yourself if you are getting the performance that you want in factory ammo?
Velocity? Accuracy? repeatability? and AVAILABILITY? Is it worth it to you if you only shoot once a year? If you're shooting 200 rounds per rifle per year avg, then just going from lot to lot in ammo would be a PITA, in that case yes it's worth reloading.

Who shoots factory ammo for hunting? Let me be more specific, 500 yards or less? I was looking around my garage tonight and realized all the money I had tied up in reloading equipment, components, etc. I dont shoot PRS or F-class and have no intentions of it and have a self imposed limit of 500 yards on animals.

Am I wrong?
If you think you can get away with factory ammo for your intended purpose, I say go for it.

We all have different personal preferences and intended purposes. The only factory ammo I shoot at the moment is .22LR and 6.5 CM. I bought a couple of boxes of Winchester XP Hunter 125s for the brass. Lo and behold it is <.5 MOA at 200Y. I bought a few more boxes but will start relating for it when they are all spent.

Last edited:
I shoot factory ammo in some guns that like factory loads. They dont all like the same. If I can't find the bullet I like in a factory load that a rifle likes I reload...
I have spent a lot more on reloading stuff than I ever have on factory rounds, but the unneeded extra steps are a lot of fun.
SnT
^^ can't say it any better than this

Am I wrong?

Well, in my opinion yes!

If you do not really enjoy reloading as a hobby, and you think that our govt will not eliminate small arms ammunition through excessive taxation or registrations……then perhaps YES!

I don't do any competition or really do any long range shooting but for many reasons will not get rid of my equipment!

The only cartridge that I shoot that doesn't get reloaded is 22 rimfire……and have even considered it! There is also bullet molds for casting bullets for everything we have. We have several that have never had a factory round fired in them…..and a few others that have never had a jacketed bullet through the bore! I see it the same as having a few years of food and other necessities stored for emergencies!

Addendum: When people were fighting over toilet paper……we were not concerned in the least! I feel the same way about ammunition! 😉 memtb

Last edited:
I shoot factory ammo for stuff that is difficult or impractical to reload like 9mm or 22lr. I also shoot factory if I get lucky and find a great deal on used or bulk ammo. For some of my favorite calibers/twists it is almost impossible to find factory ammo that isn't obscene on prices: 308/ 120-125grn, 6.5 swede, 280 rem, light 7 rem mag, light 6.5 creedmoor, 300 blk sub

It's great when a factory load works for a rifle and when it doesn't you reload it. But be wise make sure over time you have the die set for each gun you own and a stockpile of power primers and brass if freedom is your way of life. when the government shuts down all factory ammo sales in all stores you will need your stockpile to live and survive. You can build up a supply of factory rounds also to be well prepared. Remember Keep all components in dry waterproof containers with absorbing silicon packets in each box.

It's great when a factory load works for a rifle and when it doesn't you reload it. But be wise make sure over time you have the die set for each gun you own and a stockpile of power primers and brass if freedom is your way of life. when the government shuts down all factory ammo sales in all stores you will need your stockpile to live and survive. You can build up a supply of factory rounds also to be well prepared. Remember Keep all components in dry waterproof containers with absorbing silicon packets in each box.

Amen Brother! Anyone thinking that this is not on the horizon is in denial or delusional…..neither is a good thing! 😉 memtb

When I started reloading at age 14, because I couldn't afford factory ammo at that time. There only a few I purchase over the counter for load ammo. 30/30, 5.56, and 22's Some pistol ammo too. I don't really use those round much, but except the 22's I have the equipment to reload them. Alot of my centerfire rifles have never seen a factory round thru them. I have alway enjoyed reloading. Trying at time, but interesting to see what you can come up with.

My pops shoots factory, I do sometimes within 200 yards depending on the rifle I take.

There are for sure 500 yard factory ammo options.

Precision hunter
Berger
Federal premium
Norma

It's doable

I've shot like 600 rounds of norma golden target for brass this year because it was so cheap, and my tikka lite averages 1.3 moa with it and my bartlein averages 1.1moa with it. 10 shot groups. That's plenty accurate for 500 yard cap