6mmbr

ven

what do you guys think of this calibre for long range hunting and varmints.Have shot 6mmppc on small deer out to 450 yards but want a little more punch for stuff further out.

How far do you rekon this round would be effective to on small deer species say weighing 50 pounds.
I love the ease of accuracy that the little 6mm produce and i can get a cooper 6mmbr without to much trouble so wont need to go custom.
Any advice greatfully appreciate.

the 6br is an excellent varmint cartridge and target round. It will be a little under powered IMO for deer hunting at longer distances. I'd say your at the upper limit at 450. The BR and the PPC are very close to each other. the br has only slightly more power than the ppc - not enough to notice, and certainly not enough to justify upgrading from a ppc to a 6mmbr IMHO. you may want to look at a 6-284 or 6.5-284 or similar for a little more range. As you know, every thing has a price, and the barrels on either of these wouldn't last a fraction as long as the one on the br or ppc! Considering this, I am saving up to build a multi-purpose rifle in 260 rem for long range varmint / target / mid range deer rifle.

I was wondering that ,in that case i think i will just stick with the 6 ppc and go for something a good bit bigger then .
Probably get a new 308 or something round there.

On 50 pound deer the BR should be effective way past 450 yards. I would say at least 800 yards. 50 lbs is like a large coyote!

I am not familar with the br, but the dasher's velocities are similar to my 6X47 lapua according to a friend who shoots the dashers. I harvested deer out to 750yds. with mine last season. Two(one 150 buck and a doe) at 300, one at 600 and one at 750. I shoot 115 Dtacs with a vel. of 3050fps. I have a portable steel target with 1 1/2 tube 1/8" thickness mild steel as a frame. A friend hit the frame of my target with this load. It punched through the steel at 950yds. After I seen this I did not hesitate to use it on deer size game out to 1000yds. If I can get my computer to import the pictures I will post a pic since I have not welded it up yet.

The energy with this load according to my software is still 684ft/lbs at 1000yds. The deer I harvested were adult does in my home state of ND.

Brent

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f84/another-long-range-hunt-604-671-1280-yds-36687/

Last edited:
I disargee with Britz's assessment of the 6br, it does have more power than the 6ppc.
The 6ppc has proven to be the most accurate 100-200 yard cartridge ever in benchrest but I have never seen anyone use it for 1000 yard shooting (I'm sure someone has). On the other hand nobody uses the 6br for 100-200 yard benchrest but the 6br or one of it's derivative's are some of the most accurate 1000 yard rifles capable of taking a deer.
I watched goodgrouper take an antelope at close to this range with a 6br Imp. with one shot, I'm sure it would have been just as lethal on a deer.
The people that under estimate the 6br are the people that dont own one.
UB

I built a 6mmBR with 1 in 14" twist that can shoot 65 gr Vmax, but 75 gr Vmax go unstable between 50 and 100 yards out.

I ordered a 1 in 10" twist that should be good to 100 gr bullets.

For 107 gr bullets, use a 1 in 8" twist.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.