6MM vs 243 Rifle

Newtonj

I have a Remington 6mm that my father gave me for Christmas 41 years ago. I have always purchased 6mm cartridges for it and many times see boxes with the words 6 mm (243) or vice versa. Can any 6mm or 243 shell be shot in either gun??

The bullets are exactly the same but that is it. The cases are quite different. I have a 6mm and a 6mm AI. Lisa has a .243. We load entirely different powders and loads. As far as working up loads goes, the difference between the .243 and the 6mm verses a .308 and a 330 Lapua is the same. You have to work up the loads for each gun and caliber.

The 6mm was a Remington developed cartridge. I don't recall the parent case. The .243 Winchester was Winchesters answer to the original .244 Remington, which is the same as the 6mm. The .243 is formed from the .308. You can use .244 Remington shells if you find them. The .244 worked better with lighter bullets because of a slower twist rate. The 6mm will slightly out perform the .243, it just lost the popularity contest. Great gun. Shoot away.

The 6mm Remington is a great varmint and deer-antelope round! If you handload, IMR4350 is a great powder for the heavier bullets in the 6mm, and Nosler Partitions from 85, 95, and 100 grain weights kill with authority on game animals. You did not say what make and model the rifle is. Have fun and enjoy this wonderful cartridge!
David

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.