.243 vs. 6mm CM

handwerk

I am going to rebarrel my pre 64 M70 .243 with a new lilja lwt 6mm 1:8 twist. I already load for my daughter's .243 and will use this newly barreled rifle for some hunting and practice to maybe 500 -600 yards or so.
Any good reason's to stray from the 243 and go with the 6MM CM? I am hoping to shoot the banes LRX 95's.

If you were not a handloader the 6 CM might be a better choice as their ammo's accuracy in every 6.5 or 6 CM I have seen at the range shoots excellent groups. Hornady has figured out how to make some great ammo for those two cartridges.

BUT seeing you are a handloader make it a 243.

If your all ready set up with the 243 and the barrel is a fast twist why change. You have brass, dies and a rifle. If your starting from scratch I'd take the creed! Love mine

I am going to rebarrel my pre 64 M70 .243 with a new lilja lwt 6mm 1:8 twist. I already load for my daughter's .243 and will use this newly barreled rifle for some hunting and practice to maybe 500 -600 yards or so.
Any good reason's to stray from the 243 and go with the 6MM CM? I am hoping to shoot the banes LRX 95's.
I have both and reload but the 6mmcm makes me smile every time I shoot one ragged hole.39.6 grains h4350 105 Berger hybrids 2920

I used a 243 for PRS and several of my buddies used a creedmoor. I was running a little faster but also running 5 grains more powder. Since you have the dies etc it's probably a best to stick with the 243 but if you don't care about that, I'd do the creedmoor. It is more efficient, dang near same performance with less powder, and the case designs seem easier to tune loads.

Stay with the .243. Lapua brass same bullets and very similar case capacity. No advantage in my opinion to go with the creed, just more money to spend to get setup reloading a different caliber. The only advantage at all the creed has over the .243 is better factory ammo options and slightly less coal. I run a .243 win match chamber and have no issue touching the lands with a 115 dtac or a 110 SMK in an alpha mag so not much difference there either.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.