22/6mm vs 22/243 vs ???

cowboy717

I'm looking into something to shoot long range yotes and just be different. Have a want for something a little out of the ordinary. I just shot a friends 22/6 and I loved how flat shooting and no recoil. I'm looking into using a savage or stevens action(short or long?) with a pacnor barrel. Anybody have any suggestions on which to go with? Wanting to shoot 75-80 grain amaxes.
Also saw something on 220 gibbs?? I thought the gibbs line only went down to 240?
Thanks in advance!

I'm looking into something to shoot long range yotes and just be different. Have a want for something a little out of the ordinary. I just shot a friends 22/6 and I loved how flat shooting and no recoil. I'm looking into using a savage or stevens action(short or long?) with a pacnor barrel. Anybody have any suggestions on which to go with? Wanting to shoot 75-80 grain amaxes.
Also saw something on 220 gibbs?? I thought the gibbs line only went down to 240?
Thanks in advance!

Talk to Lonnie Hummel at Hornady. he helped develop the 22/6mm (Texas Trophy Hunter)
and should be a lot of help.

I have talked to him on several occasions and he is very friendly and knowledgeable on this round.

Hope this helps.

J E CUSTOM

If you are going to use a short action, IMO, I would go with 22-243 or one of it's varients. If you're using a long action, pick whichever one tickels your fancy because they both are near the same thing. I personally like the 22-243 and it's varients a little better because you can not only use Lapua 243 brass but 243 brass in general is much easier to find.

I've got a 22-6mm on a Rem. short action. It shoots 75grainers extremely well and fast but I have to use it as a single shot because my OAL is to long to feed thru the mag.

I have shot a 224TTH for about 10 years. I shoot a 69gr MK at 3600fps with RL19. It is built on a short action remington with a 1-9 twist 26" brl. If I build another one it will be on a remington LONG action. In my short action it will manage a 69gr MK from the magazine, but will not anything heavier. It shoots the 75gr Amax great but as has been said before it has to be one at a time. I have close to 700 rounds shot out of the gun and in the last box I loaded it is starting to shot some fliers and is starting to worry me. It ALWAYS shot in the 1/2" range before and is now starting to throw one now and then and make the group into about .75-1" range.

thanks
224TTH

I think I'm leaning more toward the 22/6 cause I already load for a 243, and I don't want to mix up the brass.

You certainly won't go wrong with either, that's for sure, but do yourself a favor and have it built on a long action.

Another hot rod .22 that would be easy to do and you could use Lapua brass is a 22-284. You could easily neck down Lapua 6.5-284 brass as the parent case. Sometimes finding 6mm brass isn't all that easy and the quality is marginal at best.

Anyone had any luck with the 75 gr swifts in either of these calibers? Was thinking of using more of the Amax , berger, and sierra matchkings. I also have a pile of 65 gr sierra gamekings that wouldn't stabilize in another gun.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.