6mm vs the .243 AI

Thanks,
That's funny. I laugh sometimes when I look at my old targets too.
Seems I'm always getting more detailed about data.

My plan was to use rl22 and cheap hornady 105s to FF. And develop a load with rl23. I just thought that I could ask someone with previous experience.
My back up plan is imr4350 or 7828 to FF.
I'm tired of bullseye and COW , its almost like going the job half way. FF with bullets insures the cases are as straight as the chamber.

I do remember calling Hogdon's for starting loads with the 6mmAI. They said to simply start out with fairly stiff standard 6mm loads and work your way into it. (good folks by the way). I asked Ferris, and be said almost exactly the samething. The loads started to get finicky the closer you got to max. I never tried H1000, but thinking that 7828 might be ideal then H1000 with a heavy bullet might be the ticket.
gary

Thanks Gary,
I necked down and neck turned a bunch Norma 7×57 Mauser to FF so I'll have enough time to see what seating depth VLDs like anyway.

Thanks Gary,
I necked down and neck turned a bunch Norma 7×57 Mauser to FF so I'll have enough time to see what seating depth VLDs like anyway.

what's interesting with me anyway was that after all that big bullet stuff, I dropped down to 80 thru 87 grain bullets. I was busting coyotes with them, and rarely shot more than 400 yards. For the standard 6mm, I got hooked on a Sierra 80 grain bullet. They would literally shred a coyote with a broad side shot. My longest kill was 670 yards using either an 87 grain bullet or a 90 grain in 6mmAI. The dog dropped like a rock. I was lucky as I knew the exact yardage from the picnic table I was shooting off of. What would have been great would have been a .44B/C bullet that weighed 90 grains back then.
gary

I love turning yotes inside out.:):D

funny story!

Brother drops by one morning and said he was over a buddy ours shooting on his 400 yard range (he was gearing up for an off hand shooting contest in KY), when he heard about me shooting 6mm's. Wanted to shoot one with our buddy. Gave him two rifles and a couple boxes of ammo. A few days later he calls me on the phone saying he needed to clean both rifles before dropping them off. He then said he shot two coyotes with one of the rifles. One was at the 200 yard mark and the other was about 240 yards quartering away from him at a dead run. The 80 grain bullet picked him up and spun him into the ground. With the exception of a piece of hide on his back he was cut in two halves. The hit was in his left shoulder.

I said "I told you so!"
gary

I'm sorry I didn't get in on this before the story telling started. On the original question:
243 AI
Jim Borden, Nesika,Hart 9 twist
105 Hornady Match
RL22
CCI LRP
Lapua brass
3353(avg 2 5shot strings)
As above:
Sierra 95gr Match King
I don't think a 6mm will do that.
Oh! and the 105 shot .525 and .631 during the Chrono groups
the 95SMK shot .498 and .565
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!

what's interesting with me anyway was that after all that big bullet stuff, I dropped down to 80 thru 87 grain bullets. I was busting coyotes with them, and rarely shot more than 400 yards. For the standard 6mm, I got hooked on a Sierra 80 grain bullet. They would literally shred a coyote with a broad side shot. My longest kill was 670 yards using either an 87 grain bullet or a 90 grain in 6mmAI. The dog dropped like a rock. I was lucky as I knew the exact yardage from the picnic table I was shooting off of. What would have been great would have been a .44B/C bullet that weighed 90 grains back then.
gary

Which 90gr bullet do you shoot in your 6mmAI? Just curious, my cousin has a .240 and a standard 6mm and I will tell him about your success with the lighter slugs. He is currently shooting 107 SMKs and he shot 105 Lapua HPBTs in the past.

Which 90gr bullet do you shoot in your 6mmAI? Just curious, my cousin has a .240 and a standard 6mm and I will tell him about your success with the lighter slugs. He is currently shooting 107 SMKs and he shot 105 Lapua HPBTs in the past.

I had two 6mm's stolen, and sold off the other. Funny thing is that I loved the round so much that I still have all my 6mm gear to this very day. Probably will build a new one sooner than later. Getting a little tired of the 6/250 combo (it has it's own set of issues like the .243AI), and thinking about a two or three thread set back. Then reaming it for a .244 Jaybird, or a .243AI reamed with a 6mmAI reamer. I like the Jaybird much better, but know where a reamer resides in 6mmAI.

What I need is another rifle project! But I have a deep love for 6mm anything. I have a 6BR that hasn't seen sunlight in almost a year. Really need to get to work with that little rifle. Then there are the other projects that seem to never end. I have two 38-55's that are at the top of my list, and with luck; my 270 mag again. Have not shot the .270 in a year due health issues and very weak muscle tissue in my shoulder (thank you Monsanto for introducing me to Agent Orange). But I'm getting better (as in much better)
glt

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.