6.5SS and the 129 Absolute Hammer

I use a .291 bushing in my FL die, and then run them through a .262 expanding mandrel. .002" neck tension.
Brass is all within .002" on OAL, (these are 1.953"-1.955", max case length is 1.960") and annealed every time.

No crimp.
What FL dies are you using? The ones I ordered from the site don't have a bushing I don't think, been a while since I ordered so I can't remember- I should probably unpack it, haha!

@lancetkenyon the timing of this is perfect! I dropped my parts off at the smith last week for a switch barrel build, one of the barrels is a 24" Carbon6 7.5 twist that will be chambered for 6.5SS. I have the same ADG brass and H4350, same primers...just deciding on a bullet and was thinking of the HH or the Absolute, but I don't really know the difference (I need to read more). I have a bit of time before my build will be ready though, so I'll be looking forward to your results!
My 131 HH load is over RL26 @ 3185fps. Since that load is strictly for late season deer in a specific few units, and I know temps would never get over 85°F, I opted to use RL26. Very accurate bullet.

What FL dies are you using? The ones I ordered from the site don't have a bushing I don't think, been a while since I ordered so I can't remember- I should probably unpack it, haha!
I have some of the original Whiddon dies. I got in on the 6.5SS early, and used to use the old Norma .300SAUM brass Rich started with. I now have 320pcs of the ADG brass.

"won't have speed and pressure results until then"

Good morning Lance, you mentioned speed and pressure results looking forward to them. What are you using to measure the pressure? Some sort of pressure trace machine perhaps? Reason I ask if I've seen a few reports on the Absolutes with some pretty aggressive speeds but as of yet no one has had a way to actually test the pressure:(

I remain confident that some day in the not so far future we'll have pressure testing equipment on the shelves that we can purchase for a reasonable price. That'll be a great day!

I had a 6.5 Sherman Short built last month. I shoot 125 grain, solid copper, badlands bulldozer rounds which are still supersonic at 2,000 yards. Those rounds are expensive ($1 a round) but for hunting they pass through moose at 500 yards. One challenge is reloading only, not a common brass, but 6.5 rounds are easily found.

Attachments

• C18A1ACB-6DDA-4842-84B9-07DD614864CD.jpeg
    C18A1ACB-6DDA-4842-84B9-07DD614864CD.jpeg
    846.6 KB · Views: 215
  • 28642B60-3D0C-4F72-B7F3-8C6D812D9022.jpeg
    28642B60-3D0C-4F72-B7F3-8C6D812D9022.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 213
Right on Lance! I am very interested in your results. My 6.5 SST barreled action is done, I'm just waiting on the stock now. I have been planning on RL23 for the stability or maybe N570 not sure yet. Keep the great info coming brother! Thanks!

Just for reference, what is your velocity with the 150s and 156s in this gun? Any data with standard cup and core 130ish bullets?

"won't have speed and pressure results until then"

Good morning Lance, you mentioned speed and pressure results looking forward to them. What are you using to measure the pressure? Some sort of pressure trace machine perhaps? Reason I ask if I've seen a few reports on the Absolutes with some pretty aggressive speeds but as of yet no one has had a way to actually test the pressure:(

I remain confident that some day in the not so far future we'll have pressure testing equipment on the shelves that we can purchase for a reasonable price. That'll be a great day!
Just brass visual, velocity, and bolt lift tests.
Right on Lance! I am very interested in your results. My 6.5 SST barreled action is done, I'm just waiting on the stock now. I have been planning on RL23 for the stability or maybe N570 not sure yet. Keep the great info coming brother! Thanks!
Talk to Steve. I was planning on RL23 or N565 too, but we talked, and he suggested a much faster burn rate powder like H4350 to build pressure faster. He thinks RL23, N565, etc. won't pressure up enough before case fill is 100%+.
Just for reference, what is your velocity with the 150s and 156s in this gun? Any data with standard cup and core 130ish bullets?
In the rifle I am testing, I can push the 150 SMK @ 3095, and the 156 @ 3080 before I get sticky bolt amd/or shiny ejector marks. My main hunting loads are the 150 @ 3045 or 156 @ 3024 however. Best accuracy there. And I mean sub .2MOA 5 shot groups out to 1151.
I shoot the 131 Hammer, but nothing else lighter than a 144 LR Hyb in this rifle in a cup and core style bullet.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.