257wby 90gr absolute hammer

Steves1911

Ive searched and probably missed it but has anyone loaded the 90gr absolute hammer in 257wby? Running low on rl26 so plan to try either ramshot magnum or h1000. Just recieved 25 crop damage tags for deer last year I used the 101gr lrx looking forward to seeing how these compare.

Some data here. I haven't tried the 90 AH but do shoot the 92HH. I was able to hit 4K using a few different powders but settled with RL26 right at 4K fps.

I think im going to run a 1 shot ladder from 74-77gr of Magnum over a chrono to test for pressure and go from there. Magnum worked well for me with the barnes bullets.

I will be very interested in seeing how the AH does.
I would like to ask also, how did the 101 LRX do?
I have a Ruger Number 1 257 Wea with a 28" barrel, thanks!

The lrx did well best speed actually came from magnum but better es and sd with rl26. I tested a few with h1000 as well and it lagged behind both. Id love to mess with it more but have only ever found them once and was limited to 2 boxes. The hammers seem more readily available.

Going off the faster powder theory for these bullets it may give me an excuse to try out the imr4955. It behaves pretty similar to imr4831 and that seems to work well from what I can find.

Going off the faster powder theory for these bullets it may give me an excuse to try out the imr4955. It behaves pretty similar to imr4831 and that seems to work well from what I can find.
I had pressure issues way early with 4955 and velocity was nothing like 26. Going to try 4831 also and 7828 with next batch.

How was the LRX in terminal performance?
Performance was great and the advertised .400 bc is pretty accurate from what I can tell. They held up on unexpected close range shots but still leave golfball size exits on longer shots. Barnes seems to have only ever made one run of them though guess no love for the quarter bore fans.

Following…
Seems the more overbore cartridges don't experience a significant jump in velocity. My Mark V pushes 92gr HH right under 4K (3993') with single digit ES using RL19.
I'll be very curious to see how the 90gr AH does and if you're able to achieve any significant velocity increase.