6.5mm hunting cartridge?

emmagator

Looking for a 6.5mm long range deer hunting round. Short action mag fed repeater only.

Best with no consideration to barrel life?

Best with consideration to barrel life?

Thanks

Last edited:
6.5 SS (Sherman Short mag) or 6.5 Grendel loaded with 140 Berger VLD's...Either of those 2 will suit your purpose well.

Yes, 260 Rem or 6.5 Creedmore are a good choice.

To me, I 'll go for 6.5x284 because I like Lapua brass and I can reload it many times. Also it shoot faster/harder than two cartridges above.

6.5 SS, 6.5x47, 6.5creed, 260 Rem/260 AI.

All short actions. 6.5SS would be better than 6.5-284 due to the short action and from what I see it outperforms the 284 by a couple hunderd FPS.

If it were me and building a custom Short Action it would be a SAUM or the SS.

My bet in a short action would be a 260AI very close runner to the 6.5 284, kill what ever stands with 130gr bullets. Very mild recoil great barrel life.

.260 Ackley for a do everything short action long range hunter with great barrel life and the 6.5-300wsm for the barrel burner hot rod.

I'm very impressed with my 6.5 SS, a 140gr bullet at 3200fps easy with perfect bullets seating and cycling through a standard short action mag, nothing out there does that! The only down side is you do have to form brass so it does take a little more dedication but brass life is excellent so it's a one time deal really until we get some correct head stamp brass made! I built it on a Savage model 12 WSM action!

The 6.5x284 is also a good one to run a 140 in the 2950fps range but it really shines in a mid or long action!

I'm very impressed with my 6.5 SS, a 140gr bullet at 3200fps easy with perfect bullets seating and cycling through a standard short action mag, nothing out there does that! The only down side is you do have to form brass so it does take a little more dedication but brass life is excellent so it's a one time deal really until we get some correct head stamp brass made! I built it on a Savage model 12 WSM action!

The 6.5x284 is also a good one to run a 140 in the 2950fps range but it really shines in a mid or long action!

I keep telling Rich...If he can get Lapua brass made for it, I will order brass THEN have a barrel made. LOL

Same for the full-size 6.5 Sherman.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.