Which Cartridge for hunting?

born2kill

I am looking to do some long range hunting and shooting. I currently dont own a custom rifle unfortunately but try to do my best with what i have. I have been tossing the idea of getting one built for a long time now and figured i might as well just go for it. Only issue im debating right now is a caliber. I am a big 300. win mag fan! currently shoot one and would love to stick with it. After time i would like to be able to stretch out and hunt out too 1000 yards. I had a gentlemen suggest a 300 RUM instead to push those 210-230's a little faster and get better energy at that range. i guess my question is, is the 300. winny more then capable at 1000 to take down an animal as large as moose and elk as that would be its main targets. I would rather stick to a winny vs the RUM but if its not possible then obviously i would step up. Im not interested in anything much larger then a 30 cal at the moment so please dont suggest a 338 lapua or edge. What kind of velocities are people getting in the 210-230 bergers out of a 26" or 28" barrel?

There is a thread with some very good reading that covers a lot of what you are looking for. I think it was.. Comparing the Berger 210 and 215. by Broz.
I am computer ignorant or I would post a link to it. Maybe someone else will post it. Someday I will get one of my children to teach me. I am sure you will find it using the search box if no one does.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.