6.5 x 284

Needed, not in my opinion but it won't hurt anything either. My 6.5-284 is under 12 and I don't have one and do just fine.

If you're hunting with it then I would say no. If it's a bench gun why not, it can't hurt.

Mine weights 13 + pounds with the scope. Has a muzzle brake. No recoil at all. Easy to see the impacts. I will unscrew the brake next time I shoot to see how it feels , but I am guessing the muzzle brake is a winner !!!

I have one on mine however mine isnt over 10lbs. It weighs in at 8lb 12oz & i have the muzzle brake on it more so to help with spotting my own shots at longer ranges.

Mine weights 13 + pounds with the scope. Has a muzzle brake. No recoil at all. Easy to see the impacts. I will unscrew the brake next time I shoot to see how it feels , but I am guessing the muzzle brake is a winner !!!
I didn't have one with the previous barrel and the recoil wasn't much. It was more snappy than anything

Mine weighs 8# with optics......kicks way to hard....gee..i better go 13#.......lol.......
Sorry guys...been a long day.....

Mine weighs about 13lbs and the recoil is at a tolerable level for me. Recoil is subjective, so what's ok with me might feel like it's "stomping" someone else. If you can run 20-25 rounds through it slow fire (2-5minutes between shots) at the bench without wincing for flinching, I'd say you're good to go. Don't get the barrel too hot.

Not so much for recoil, but with a good brake, they can be very helpful for spotting hits. I also like the Area 419. I use one on my 12# 6.5x284 LRH rifle.

My 6.5-284 rifle weighs in at 10lb 3oz and I don't have a break. The recoil is manageable but I wouldn't want it to kick too much more.

One thing I never see people discuss on brakes is the percussion they cause to the shooter. I find this much worse then the slightly heavier recoil. I'd rather shoot a 300wm all day with out a brake then shoot a 6.5cm with a brake.

I think shooting suppressed has ruined me on brakes.

I've built several 6.5-284 and my hunting rifle only gets shot about a box (20) per year. Its a lightweight and tackdriver. And I dont like wearing plugs for the hunting I do. So I dont have a muzzle brake on the rifle.
But for many other rifles I own, many of them have, Little bastards, and similar, they sure work and appreciate them. Even the big sako 338 lapua brake I have on my 338 edge.

From mexico, Joe

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.