6.5 x 284 try outs

TackDriv3r

Went out to the shooting range and prepped the 6.5 x284 for some long range shooting at a steel target. My handloads performed well a few weeks ago with Sierra MatchKings 123 grain. Unfortunately 142's does not perform quite well as the 123 grainers because I have a 1-9 twist. 142's will print .5 MOA while the 123's does .2 to .3 MOA at 100. So I let 5 rounds off down the range through a 15 mph crosswind and can hear the bullets on steel. I was pretty amazed at the grouping, looks like the wind spread it out a bit across, but not much. Sucks that I have a Leupold 6.5x20 on it while I have two ATACR's 5.5 x25 on the floor in my office still in the factory boxes. I bought them for my 6.5 Creedmore 30 inch barrel with Surgeon action and .308 GAP with Crusader action but still in the build process. I am thinking about calling my scope guy to order one more, lol. My wife gave me a dirty look when I told her that I may need one more ATACR for the 6.5 x 284. :D Hopefully wind dies down soon so I can do a repeat. :cool: BTW, I posted on classified section that two Leupy's are on sale there if interested.

qJ9NVDZ.jpg

Hope it was not 100 because that would suck.

LOL, it was 600 yards. I was too happy that I forgot to add the range. :D It should do better if wind was low, the horizontal grouping should narrow a bit. After removing the Leupy this morning, I found out that the front base screws and the front ring nut was not even tight. I'll make sure to use some Lock Tite on the screws on the base when I install the ATACR and rings.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.